Building a rig to run Crysis on Very High. Need Advice

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hi everybody, first post here and it has been a few years since I have been real good with the PC scene, my rig was so outdated that I couldn't run any of the new games so I abandoned my beloved PC for the 360 for quite some time. I am looking to change that very soon.

My question is simple.

What specs are required to run Crysis on its highest settings on a pretty decent widescreen resolution for preferably around $1000? (I know this may not even be possible, but I have heard the prices have gone down drastically,so i'm prayin)

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated as I am a bit lost in all the new dual cores and SLI's and all of this. I was good for anything hardware PC related back when the Radeon 9800XT was the top of the line. So it's been a while.

Short and simple if you do not want to read the above

Hardware that could run Crysis on max settings, 1680x1050 (or so), w/ 4x AA and 8x AF. I'm planning on building it myself but am a bit lost at the moment. Any advice, much appreciated. Go! :wahoo: Thanks in advance.

I think I probably posted in the wrong section, here is the same post under homemade PC's - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274772-31-building-crysis-high-advice

You can delete post if it is in wrong section since there are two now

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
In a nutshell, you can't.

Because Crysis is so badly written and the Crytek engine is so complex you literally have to throw everything you can at it to be sure you can just crank the sliders to maximum.

The best thing to do really is build the best system you can for your budget and then balance Crysis's settings accordingly, but you're still not going to get anything graphically monstrous for $1,000.

There's plenty of stickies around these forums to offer advice on specs and home-builds so you should be able to squeeze the most out of your budget.

Alternatively, and don't take this as a snide comment, but try playing a better game: building an insane rig purely for one game is a bit over-the-top (unless you're an extreme gamer with money to burn), especially given that game of choice isn't even very good.

gman24

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
An ati 4850 or 9800GT will do the job if it is doesn't overheat, also having a fast cpu help a lot which then requires a good mb and at least a 650W psu.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I have a e5200 2.5gig dual core processor with 4 gigs of ram. HD 4870 1 gig video card.

I run crysis at 1650x1050 on medium setting no anti aliasing. I can turn it to high, but the frame rates drop and the game stutters a bit. At VERY HIGH the game is unplayable for me, it even crashes sometimes due to the video card overheating.

Satanic 666

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Go for ASUS HD EAH4870x2 Although it cannot run Crysis smoothly at 1600x1200 when Anti aliasing is on at very high detail I still recomended this one. But you need powerfull CPU and more budget I am afraid.

Hardware that could run Crysis on max settings, 1680x1050 (or so), w/ 4x AA and 8x AF. I'm planning on building it myself but am a bit lost at the moment. Any advice, much appreciated. Go! :wahoo: Thanks in advance.

It would be hard with a 1k budget. Can you do 1,250$???

pleasehelp

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I can play it with All very high settings, 4XAA, and 1440X900 resolution.

My specs
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 Black Edition
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4GB DDR2 800mghz
ASUS MOBO
250GB HDD
XFI-Fitality Xtreme Gamer edition
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

I get 30-40 FPS...which is 100% perfect!

Good luck with your new build :D

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the posts, I realized I needed to do some more research before committing to anything. Still working on all the extras I need to actually build the computer, I knew about the main parts... GPU, CPU, mobo, and RAM... but all the info here has helped.

I haven't been responding to this one because I thought I posted in the wrong section. So if you would, post here, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274772-31-building-crysis-high-advice .

I appreciate the help, going to be putting up an idea soon of what the specs are gonna be. Budget got ramped up to $1500 or so, working to get from a more mid-spec comp to a kick-ass rig that will last me quite a few years before having to upgrade.

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

How the hell can you play crysis with 30-40 frames using these settings....

I have amd phenom x3 8450 , 4 gb ddr2 800,radeon hd 4890 and ran the gpu benchmark with all settings same as yours except 0xAA..got the avg frame rate of 35 without any AA...so you cant hope to get 30 to 40 fps using 4xAA

Is your 8450 at stock clocks?

Well his CPU is faster than yours, much faster, even at stock so this tells you that you have a major bottleneck running your 4890 with a weak CPU clock. You need to overclock your CPU to at least 3.1/3.2Ghz to match the E8400's performance.

Crysis is both CPU and GPU dependent, since his system is more balanced than yours he will get more frames regardless if your GPU is more powerfull than his.

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

but i got three cores but he has only two..

pleasehelp

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

Well i'm not lying.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

No. Why are you saying this? 4870x2 blows with Crysis. In general NV cards perform better than ATI counterparts when running Crysis however, ATI is a step ahead with their new generation. The drawback is that they have a run on the market and are overpriced and usually out of stock right now.

OP: You will have to bump up your budget if you want to run Crysis smoothly on high settings because you need a high end system to do what you want. Invest in a top notch CPU and GPU and also a MOBO that overclocks so you can get the extra oomph out of your components. With overclocking you also need at least a $100 case that has really good airflow and then a very reliable PSU to hold it all up. Crysis is the most demanding game out there and you need more than a mid-ranged rig to max it out.

Check out the GPU list on GURU's page to see where the GPUs stand in performance with Crysis.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5970-review-test/16

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hey everybody! My rig is built, and works flawlessly, and damn fast I must say, thanks to your help. Looks like the other thread got closed. I have a problem with Crysis though and I cannot find an answer for the life of me. I may make a new topic on it as well, but i'll throw up the computer specs here so you can see what I decided on.

17-920 w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212
Asus p6t Deluxe v2
6gb OCZ @ 1600mhz
Diamond 5970 2gb
Auzentech 7.1 Prelude
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Now, I KNOW this computer can run Crysis at great frames, and it DOES. But, no matter what I do the game will completely lock up after 5 minutes or so, i've managed to get to the part where the plane is flying overhead the island and they are speaking of an electric storm.

The picture will freeze, sometimes the audio will freeze too and start looping and sometimes the audio will keep going as if the video isn't frozen at all. It goes to the point everytime of having to to a hard reboot there's no way to ctrl-alt-delete or anything.

Is this a Windows 7 problem? It may be I am thinking.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?!

Thanks

-J