Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building a rig to run Crysis on Very High. Need Advice

Last response: in Video Games
November 16, 2009 4:04:00 AM

Hi everybody, first post here and it has been a few years since I have been real good with the PC scene, my rig was so outdated that I couldn't run any of the new games so I abandoned my beloved PC for the 360 for quite some time. I am looking to change that very soon.

My question is simple.

What specs are required to run Crysis on its highest settings on a pretty decent widescreen resolution for preferably around $1000? (I know this may not even be possible, but I have heard the prices have gone down drastically,so i'm prayin)

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated as I am a bit lost in all the new dual cores and SLI's and all of this. I was good for anything hardware PC related back when the Radeon 9800XT was the top of the line. So it's been a while.

Short and simple if you do not want to read the above

Hardware that could run Crysis on max settings, 1680x1050 (or so), w/ 4x AA and 8x AF. I'm planning on building it myself but am a bit lost at the moment. Any advice, much appreciated. Go! :wahoo:  Thanks in advance.

I think I probably posted in the wrong section, here is the same post under homemade PC's - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274772-31-building-cr...

You can delete post if it is in wrong section since there are two now
November 16, 2009 8:22:24 AM

In a nutshell, you can't.

Because Crysis is so badly written and the Crytek engine is so complex you literally have to throw everything you can at it to be sure you can just crank the sliders to maximum.

The best thing to do really is build the best system you can for your budget and then balance Crysis's settings accordingly, but you're still not going to get anything graphically monstrous for $1,000.

There's plenty of stickies around these forums to offer advice on specs and home-builds so you should be able to squeeze the most out of your budget.

Alternatively, and don't take this as a snide comment, but try playing a better game: building an insane rig purely for one game is a bit over-the-top (unless you're an extreme gamer with money to burn), especially given that game of choice isn't even very good.
m
l
November 16, 2009 8:56:59 AM

An ati 4850 or 9800GT will do the job if it is doesn't overheat, also having a fast cpu help a lot which then requires a good mb and at least a 650W psu.
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2009 10:18:08 AM

Go nvidia with graphics if you're after crysis framerates, it runs much better on their architecture.
m
l
November 25, 2009 5:37:29 AM

I have a e5200 2.5gig dual core processor with 4 gigs of ram. HD 4870 1 gig video card.

I run crysis at 1650x1050 on medium setting no anti aliasing. I can turn it to high, but the frame rates drop and the game stutters a bit. At VERY HIGH the game is unplayable for me, it even crashes sometimes due to the video card overheating.
m
l
November 25, 2009 6:17:35 AM

Go for ASUS HD EAH4870x2 Although it cannot run Crysis smoothly at 1600x1200 when Anti aliasing is on at very high detail I still recomended this one. But you need powerfull CPU and more budget I am afraid.
m
l
November 25, 2009 6:51:04 AM

Jamrock said:
Hi everybody, first post here and it has been a few years since I have been real good with the PC scene, my rig was so outdated that I couldn't run any of the new games so I abandoned my beloved PC for the 360 for quite some time. I am looking to change that very soon.

My question is simple.

What specs are required to run Crysis on its highest settings on a pretty decent widescreen resolution for preferably around $1000? (I know this may not even be possible, but I have heard the prices have gone down drastically,so i'm prayin)

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated as I am a bit lost in all the new dual cores and SLI's and all of this. I was good for anything hardware PC related back when the Radeon 9800XT was the top of the line. So it's been a while.

Short and simple if you do not want to read the above

Hardware that could run Crysis on max settings, 1680x1050 (or so), w/ 4x AA and 8x AF. I'm planning on building it myself but am a bit lost at the moment. Any advice, much appreciated. Go! :wahoo:  Thanks in advance.

I think I probably posted in the wrong section, here is the same post under homemade PC's - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274772-31-building-cr...

You can delete post if it is in wrong section since there are two now

Quote:

It would be hard with a 1k budget. Can you do 1,250$???

m
l
November 25, 2009 8:42:19 PM

hmm 5870 and an i7 best way to go
m
l
November 25, 2009 8:53:33 PM

yea but for a 1k rig you are not going to spend over 400.00$ on the GPU alone...
m
l
November 25, 2009 11:07:19 PM

I can play it with All very high settings, 4XAA, and 1440X900 resolution.

My specs
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 Black Edition
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4GB DDR2 800mghz
ASUS MOBO
250GB HDD
XFI-Fitality Xtreme Gamer edition
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

I get 30-40 FPS...which is 100% perfect!

Good luck with your new build :D 
m
l
December 11, 2009 8:50:11 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the posts, I realized I needed to do some more research before committing to anything. Still working on all the extras I need to actually build the computer, I knew about the main parts... GPU, CPU, mobo, and RAM... but all the info here has helped.

I haven't been responding to this one because I thought I posted in the wrong section. So if you would, post here, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274772-31-building-cr... .

I appreciate the help, going to be putting up an idea soon of what the specs are gonna be. Budget got ramped up to $1500 or so, working to get from a more mid-spec comp to a kick-ass rig that will last me quite a few years before having to upgrade.
m
l
December 12, 2009 5:10:12 AM

pleasehelp said:
I can play it with All very high settings, 4XAA, and 1440X900 resolution.

My specs
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 Black Edition
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4GB DDR2 800mghz
ASUS MOBO
250GB HDD
XFI-Fitality Xtreme Gamer edition
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

I get 30-40 FPS...which is 100% perfect!

Good luck with your new build :D 

How the hell can you play crysis with 30-40 frames using these settings....

I have amd phenom x3 8450 , 4 gb ddr2 800,radeon hd 4890 and ran the gpu benchmark with all settings same as yours except 0xAA..got the avg frame rate of 35 without any AA...so you cant hope to get 30 to 40 fps using 4xAA
m
l
December 12, 2009 5:22:22 AM

sayantan said:

I have amd phenom x3 8450 , 4 gb ddr2 800,radeon hd 4890 and ran the gpu benchmark with all settings same as yours except 0xAA..got the avg frame rate of 35 without any AA...so you cant hope to get 30 to 40 fps using 4xAA

Is your 8450 at stock clocks?

m
l
December 12, 2009 5:26:22 AM

OvrClkr said:
Is your 8450 at stock clocks?

no its 5% overclocked...
m
l
December 12, 2009 5:47:15 AM

sayantan said:
no its 5% overclocked...

Well his CPU is faster than yours, much faster, even at stock so this tells you that you have a major bottleneck running your 4890 with a weak CPU clock. You need to overclock your CPU to at least 3.1/3.2Ghz to match the E8400's performance.

Crysis is both CPU and GPU dependent, since his system is more balanced than yours he will get more frames regardless if your GPU is more powerfull than his.

m
l
December 12, 2009 5:56:10 AM

OvrClkr said:
Well his CPU is faster than yours, much faster, even at stock so this tells you that you have a major bottleneck running your 4890 with a weak CPU clock. You need to overclock your CPU to at least 3.1/3.2Ghz to match the E8400's performance.

Crysis is both CPU and GPU dependent, since his system is more balanced than yours he will get more frames regardless if your GPU is more powerfull than his.

but i got three cores but he has only two..
m
l
December 12, 2009 5:10:50 PM

sayantan said:

Well i'm not lying.
m
l
December 13, 2009 4:58:52 AM

pleasehelp said:
Well i'm not lying.

What is your texture quality in crysis???
m
l
December 13, 2009 2:50:51 PM

Well in the game settings it is Very high. Or were you asking me what it is in Nvidia control panel?
m
l
December 13, 2009 10:22:09 PM

Satanic 666 said:
Go for ASUS HD EAH4870x2 Although it cannot run Crysis smoothly at 1600x1200 when Anti aliasing is on at very high detail I still recomended this one. But you need powerfull CPU and more budget I am afraid.

No. Why are you saying this? 4870x2 blows with Crysis. In general NV cards perform better than ATI counterparts when running Crysis however, ATI is a step ahead with their new generation. The drawback is that they have a run on the market and are overpriced and usually out of stock right now.

OP: You will have to bump up your budget if you want to run Crysis smoothly on high settings because you need a high end system to do what you want. Invest in a top notch CPU and GPU and also a MOBO that overclocks so you can get the extra oomph out of your components. With overclocking you also need at least a $100 case that has really good airflow and then a very reliable PSU to hold it all up. Crysis is the most demanding game out there and you need more than a mid-ranged rig to max it out.

Check out the GPU list on GURU's page to see where the GPUs stand in performance with Crysis.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5970-review-tes...
m
l
December 14, 2009 1:14:32 AM

only way you can max out crysis is with a heavily overclocked i7 and 5870s in crossfire. good luck.
m
l
December 14, 2009 3:44:01 AM

pleasehelp said:
Well in the game settings it is Very high. Or were you asking me what it is in Nvidia control panel?

okk so I think my cpu is creating some serious bottlenecks....
m
l
December 14, 2009 3:56:56 AM

yep^^

you need an upgrade ASAP.......
m
l
December 21, 2009 3:35:30 PM

Hey everybody! My rig is built, and works flawlessly, and damn fast I must say, thanks to your help. Looks like the other thread got closed. I have a problem with Crysis though and I cannot find an answer for the life of me. I may make a new topic on it as well, but i'll throw up the computer specs here so you can see what I decided on.

17-920 w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212
Asus p6t Deluxe v2
6gb OCZ @ 1600mhz
Diamond 5970 2gb
Auzentech 7.1 Prelude
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Now, I KNOW this computer can run Crysis at great frames, and it DOES. But, no matter what I do the game will completely lock up after 5 minutes or so, i've managed to get to the part where the plane is flying overhead the island and they are speaking of an electric storm.

The picture will freeze, sometimes the audio will freeze too and start looping and sometimes the audio will keep going as if the video isn't frozen at all. It goes to the point everytime of having to to a hard reboot there's no way to ctrl-alt-delete or anything.

Is this a Windows 7 problem? It may be I am thinking.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?!

Thanks

-J
m
l
December 21, 2009 3:44:48 PM

Jamrock said:
Hey everybody! My rig is built, and works flawlessly, and damn fast I must say, thanks to your help. Looks like the other thread got closed. I have a problem with Crysis though and I cannot find an answer for the life of me. I may make a new topic on it as well, but i'll throw up the computer specs here so you can see what I decided on.

17-920 w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212
Asus p6t Deluxe v2
6gb OCZ @ 1600mhz
Diamond 5970 2gb
Auzentech 7.1 Prelude
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Now, I KNOW this computer can run Crysis at great frames, and it DOES. But, no matter what I do the game will completely lock up after 5 minutes or so, i've managed to get to the part where the plane is flying overhead the island and they are speaking of an electric storm.

The picture will freeze, sometimes the audio will freeze too and start looping and sometimes the audio will keep going as if the video isn't frozen at all. It goes to the point everytime of having to to a hard reboot there's no way to ctrl-alt-delete or anything.

Is this a Windows 7 problem? It may be I am thinking.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?!

Thanks

-J

Did you set your RAM timings/voltage correctly? You cannot leave everything on AUTO and expect the PC to perform without any issues....

What values did you change in the Bios??
m
l
December 21, 2009 3:50:18 PM

Hey overclkr,

Haven't messed with the BIOS yet, was going to try OC'ing the 920 to 4ghz sometime soon though, if I can get Crysis working. So, I guess i'm saying I was going to set the cpu voltage to 1.35V and RAM voltage to 1.66V, BCLK to 190-200 to hopefully achieve a 4ghz.

What do I need to change?
m
l
December 21, 2009 3:58:42 PM

Don't mess with any of the overclocking options, first make sure your RAM is stable by adjusting the values correctly. You need to change the timings and voltage to whatever is specified by the manufacturer (RAM).

m
l
December 21, 2009 4:02:53 PM

It says on Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168... for the RAM I bought.

Timing is 8-8-8-24
Voltage is 1.65V

I'll go see if that is where they are at in BIOS, you think that could be causing the problem in Crysis?

Any other timings to set or any adjustments for that matter to make to the new rig, i've had the rig running CS:S and it seems to have run flawlessly so far. No real issues thus far, but any advice would be great.

-J
m
l
December 21, 2009 4:03:50 PM

Or you can use the option under the Ai Tweaker menu to use X.M.P (eXtreme Memory Profile). And it should set the values for you =)
m
l
December 21, 2009 4:18:10 PM

OvrClkr said:
Or you can use the option under the Ai Tweaker menu to use X.M.P (eXtreme Memory Profile). And it should set the values for you =)

Hm... is that in the BIOS? ^^ I didn't see anything like that.

Well, I changed the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage to 1.6500

I still am not sure exactly WHY I did this or what this is accomplishing or if this is supposed to help with Crysis. Or if I even set the settings right, lol, so if you could explain I am new to configuring a home build computer.

I saw a DRAM timings frequencies page, went there in the BIOS, and was presented with about 25 options all of which I was not sure how to change. :confused:
m
l
December 21, 2009 5:09:13 PM

Two good reads. While I was in the BIOS settings messing with the RAM. I got the RAM to 8-8-8-24 as it is supposed to be at, and the DRAM voltage to 1.65v. I've already read a ton of articles and watched quite a few videos on overclocking the i7-920, I felt I had read enough while I was in the BIOS to overclock a bit. If I remember correctly...

CPU vcore - 1.300v
QPI/DRAM voltage - 1.65v
BCLK - 190

Probably missing a few settings, but CPU-Z shows me at 3.9mhz, I also ran Prime95 for 6 minutes and 0 errors.

Still trying to figure out the Crysis freezing issue, I will give it another go with the correct RAM timings, maybe that was causing an issue?

-J
m
l
December 21, 2009 5:14:13 PM

Well before you do anything with crysis you should torture-test your system using prime95. This will take at least a few hours. Normally when I am done with a build I run prime for no less than 24 hours. 6 min won't do anything, specially if you are not running large FFT's....
m
l
December 22, 2009 9:56:33 PM

OvrClkr said:
Well before you do anything with crysis you should torture-test your system using prime95. This will take at least a few hours. Normally when I am done with a build I run prime for no less than 24 hours. 6 min won't do anything, specially if you are not running large FFT's....

I'm working on stress testing now, and i'm actually real worried that the 5970 is defective and that the crysis lock ups may be because of it. Here's a recap.

My Diamond 5970 is having some issues locking up. I found a post specific to Diamond cards but am awaiting being activated as a member on that forum so i'll go ahead and say something here. I'm gettin worried I got a defective card!

1. I cannot run Crysis for more than 1 minute before the screen freezes and completely locks up my computer requires a hard reboot. The audio continues to run however when the computer freezes. Ctrl-alt-delete, nothing works I have to reset on the computer.

2. I tried some other games, CS:S worked fine for the 15 minutes I played it, and Oblivion seems to work fine with some graphics mods, only played for a few minutes though.

3. I was trying to get a little more power out of the card for Oblivion, so I read up on overclocking. I changed the GPU core voltage to 1.1625v from the stock of 1.05v or so. Furmark did the same thing at stock voltage.

4. This is where it worries me, I cannot run Furmark in 640x480 for more than 50 seconds before the whole computer locks up and I have to do a hard reboot. Both times I did Furmark the GPU was running at stock speeds, got up to 64C, about 55 seconds in and the whole computer locks up!

I spent $670.00 on this card, please help me out! I don't know what to do!

Specs:
i7-920
Asus p6t Deluxe v2
Diamond 5970 2gb
6gb OCZ Ram
Windows 7 64bit

Thanks

-J
m
l
December 22, 2009 10:04:26 PM

First do the torture test, if your PC does not lock up then it is most likely a GPU issue. If it does lock up then it might be a ram issue. make sure when you test you choose the option the tests "LOTS of RAM"... Later on you can test with large FFT's
m
l
December 22, 2009 10:16:40 PM

Torture test was good for 6 minutes the other day, I know it needs to run longer than that, I will run it before I go to sleep tonight so it can run for a good 12 hours or so.

LOTS of RAM test is the option: Blend (tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested) I am assuming.

The furmark running for 50 seconds and crashing really is kind of worrisome, the GPU isn't even close to being too hot, only got up to 64C.

-J
m
l
December 22, 2009 10:40:02 PM

Don't worry about it, we will find a fix. There are 3 things that can be wrong here, the GPU, RAM/settings or a few leftover driver files that need to be deleted.

Have you tried deleting the current display driver and installing a previous one? Not sure if i asked you before....
m
l
December 22, 2009 10:43:05 PM

Originally I had the Beta 5 Hemlock drivers, didn't do much gaming or testing on them so I can't say how those performed. Although, I have read everywhere that the official 9.12 drivers are better.

I'm using the catalyst 9.12 drivers plus 9.12 hotfix. I always boot into safe mode, use driver sweeper, reboot, and then install the drivers, reboot, and use.

I think the 9.12 is the first official release for the 5970, so there aren't really any other drivers to try I don't think.
m
l

Best solution

December 22, 2009 11:10:19 PM

yep you are absolutely right...

let me know how the torture test goes.....
December 23, 2009 6:07:23 PM

Prime95 ran for 10 hours with 0 errors.

I don't have a graphics card to use in the meantime if I RMA this one, I wonder if Diamond will send me a 5870 in the mean time?

As i'm sure the 5970 is going to take months to get here. I may be expecting too much of Diamond.

Also ran ATItool for 13 hours and got no errors during scan artifacts. This is confusing....

If the card crashes in Crysis and the Crysis benchmark, as well as Furmark, when the GPU is being stressed then their must be a problem with the GPU. The one thing that I think indicates it's the GPU is that the screen freezes and the computer locks up, but the audio continues.

I would like to check the temps of the Vregs , because the all the temps reported by GPU-Z are all fine, but I have heard that the vreg's could be melting inside causing the crash, which is a card fault. Rivatuner didn't sense the Vreg's.

The fans being stuck at 30%, unable to go any higher or lower is also an issue. I don't think there is anything else I can do?

Just wish I could get an ETA on how long the RMA may take, since these 5970's are practically non-existent
m
l
December 24, 2009 11:28:12 PM

I have a 4850 1024mb with a i7 920 and 6gig ram and i can run it at vhigh, 1680 1000 with 15-20 fps or so. Its playable for me. Warhead i get like 25fps with same settings. Only time in crysis i ever lowered the setting was the final boss battle, i turned the shaders to high instead of vhigh cause it was like 7fps lo but other than that worked fine.
m
l
January 16, 2010 3:16:50 PM

I hope this doesn't count as necro-posting. People are getting new gfx and building new systems just for this game. But let me remind you that this game was made 2007 and we are 2010 now.
If none of the latest pcs can beat the game. Don't you think it is strange to make a pc just for this game, while Crysis 2 will be out soon. So if no computers can beat Crysis with 100 fps or more even with triple sli or 3xcf then dont you think its just plain old stupid to make a pc just for this game. I suggest making a pc that will run Crysis 2 at playable framerate cause it will prolly make our current pcs look like 100 year old pcs
m
l
January 25, 2010 12:07:08 AM

Well, hello, mcfe. Glad you could join us. The 5970 that I have finally received from Asus in 100% working condition, after receiving two defective 5970's (one Sapphire and one Diamond,) is the fastest damn card that is going to come out for quite some time.

I will consider my self set for quite some time with my current setup. O and by the way, it runs Crysis w/ Extreme Quality + Real Life-sis mod at 50+ fps and looks amazing.

Thanks for the help everyone on the computer. It's all 100% working now!

-J
m
l
January 25, 2010 12:09:19 AM

Best answer selected by Jamrock.
m
l
!