Windows freezes randomly after loading Qwest DSL

I have loaded Actiontec from Qwest to activate modem for DSL. Ever since
doing this, Wndows (any progam I may be running) freezes. It only happens
when I am online. I can hook back up to my phone line, and everything runs
fine. I am also running Norton Internet Security 2005. I am using Norton's
firewall, not Windows. I have been tested by Qwest, and all my lines and
connections show good or in working order with their system. So I am
wondering where to start checking in Windows setups or preferences. Where do
I begin to look for problems or conflicts.
--
macinjim

Malke

macinjim wrote:

> I have loaded Actiontec from Qwest to activate modem for DSL. Ever
> since doing this, Wndows (any progam I may be running) freezes. It
> only happens when I am online. I can hook back up to my phone line,
> and everything runs fine. I am also running Norton Internet Security
> 2005. I am using Norton's firewall, not Windows. I have been tested by
> Qwest, and all my lines and connections show good or in working order
> with their system. So I am wondering where to start checking in
> Windows setups or preferences. Where do I begin to look for problems
> or conflicts.

I'm not sure what "Actiontec" is. If you installed software from Qwest,
it is probably running at startup. I would stop it and see if that
solves the issue. Lots of ISP's use IP monitoring software and "instant
support" software that is unnecessary and causes problems. Do some
clean-boot troubleshooting:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

macinjim,
You might want to check out the Qwest/DSL forums here;
'BroadbandReports' (http://www.broadbandreports.com/)
Looks like there are others in your boat. You didn't mention if you
hooked up via USB or Ethernet cable to your computer. On the XP
question, you didn't tell us if your XP SP1 or SP2/ Pro or Home.
Good Luck,
Treeman

--
Treeman