Cannot find NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible transport pr..

nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable Connection. It's
not included in the installation CD XP professional 2002, and not available
as a download in MS downloading center. Where can I find it?.
Regards
13 answers Last reply
More about cannot find nwlink netbios compatible transport

    Toni wrote:
    > nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
    > Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
    > professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
    > downloading center. Where can I find it?.
    > Regards

    You might want to take a look at this article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru every step. However,
    the problem is that I dont have the NWLink protocol in my installation kit,
    so my question is where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP, it
    has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
    I'd appretiate more help

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > Toni wrote:
    > > nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
    > > Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
    > > professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
    > > downloading center. Where can I find it?.
    > > Regards
    >
    > You might want to take a look at this article:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    1-5 on that link tells you how to install it, you will need your XP cd.

    "Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru every step.
    > However,
    > the problem is that I dont have the NWLink protocol in my installation
    > kit,
    > so my question is where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP,
    > it
    > has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
    > I'd appretiate more help
    >
    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> Toni wrote:
    >> > nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
    >> > Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
    >> > professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
    >> > downloading center. Where can I find it?.
    >> > Regards
    >>
    >> You might want to take a look at this article:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan

    Thanks but unfortunately this device is NOT in the XP CD. That's why I am
    looking for help
    regards

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > 1-5 on that link tells you how to install it, you will need your XP cd.

    > "Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru every step.
    > > However,
    > > the problem is that I dont have the NWLink protocol in my installation
    > > kit,
    > > so my question is where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP,
    > > it
    > > has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
    > > I'd appretiate more help

    > >> You might want to take a look at this article:
    > >>
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
    > >>
    > >> Good luck
    > >>
    > >> Nepatsfan

    The cable manufacturer.

    --
    Oderient dum Metuant

    Toni wrote:
    > Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru
    > every step. However, the problem is that I dont have the
    > NWLink protocol in my installation kit, so my question is
    > where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP, it
    > has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
    > I'd appretiate more help

    Where in the process of trying to install NWLink are you
    running into problems? You've got to provide more info than you
    have so far. You're asking people who are not sitting in front
    of your computer to help you with a problem. They can't see
    what you're doing. The statement "I don't have the NWLink
    protocol in my installation kit" tells me nothing.

    In a standard installation of Windows XP, Home or Professional,
    all the files necessary to enable the NWLink protocol are
    installed by default. It's just a matter of adding it to your
    network connection. Who installed XP on your computer? It's
    possible that NWLink was not included in the original
    installation.

    Also, is this PC part of a domain? If it is, a Group Policy
    could be in place to prevent the installation. It also would be
    helpful to know why you need to install NWLink. More details
    concerning the Direct Cable Connection you're trying to
    establish might be helpful.

    Getting back to your problem. go back to the article I posted
    earlier.
    In step 5 of that article, is NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible
    Transport Protocol listed in the Select Network Protocol box?
    If it's not listed, click on the "Have Disk" button and browse
    to C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.

    FYI, the setup file for the NWLink protocol should be located
    on your computer here:

    C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf

    You should also have these files installed on your PC

    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkipx.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnknb.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkspx.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkflt.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkfwd.sys

    If you continue to run into problems, you should consider
    running a repair installation of XP. Take a look here for more
    details on that procedure:

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> Toni wrote:
    >>> nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
    >>> Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
    >>> professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
    >>> downloading center. Where can I find it?.
    >>> Regards
    >>
    >> You might want to take a look at this article:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan

    Yes it is, you must be doing something wrong. What happens when you try.
    What error message?

    > Thanks but unfortunately this device is NOT in the XP CD. That's why I am
    > looking for help
    > regards
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> 1-5 on that link tells you how to install it, you will need your XP cd.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru every step.
    >> > However,
    >> > the problem is that I dont have the NWLink protocol in my installation
    >> > kit,
    >> > so my question is where can I find it?. This file is part of windows
    >> > XP,
    >> > it
    >> > has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
    >> > I'd appretiate more help

    I receive no error message but 'Windows cannot find the driver for this
    device'. I tried in the CD and it is not either.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Yes it is, you must be doing something wrong. What happens when you try.
    > What error message?

    > "Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks but unfortunately this device is NOT in the XP CD. That's why I am
    > > looking for help
    > > regards
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> 1-5 on that link tells you how to install it, you will need your XP cd.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    My apologies for not giving people precise information on the problem. I did
    my homework following your suggestions, and couldn't find this file in my
    computer nor in my XP CD: C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.
    However, the other .sys files that you mentioned are.
    I need this driver to connect a home XP system (guest) and a W95 based
    laptop (host). Followed all the steps to make it and they actually connected
    but I cannot map a drive. I receive a message that says 'cannot find the
    other computer' or something like that. But the computers listen to each
    other. The only missing piece of the conection process is the lack of such
    protocol. Reviewing some literature on the net (sorry I don't remember the
    source) found that without this device the computers get connected but cannot
    share resources (which is my case).
    I copied the file from another XP based computer and couldn't instal it
    either because it is not digitally signed. So I'm stuck.
    My XP disc is 2002, version 5.1, service pack 2. Looks old!. I wonder if
    such a protocol doesn't have another name in this pack?

    Well, I appretiate so many efforts of very bussy people to help me. I thank
    you all and am proud of taking part on this discusion. And if there's any
    other chance to try another resource, it's very welcome. Best regards

    Toni wrote:
    > I receive no error message but 'Windows cannot find the driver for
    > this device'. I tried in the CD and it is not either.

    IPX/SPX is a protocol - not a driver.. have you installed the actual DRIVER
    from the card manufacturer for the device? Without a driver, it cannot
    understand the IPX/SPX protocol - that is for sure.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I'm guessing your laptop doesn't have an ethernet card
    installed? If it has one, it's a much simpler procedure to
    connect two computers with a crossover cable than it is to use
    the method you're trying to setup.

    It's been awhile since I've had to setup a direct cable
    connection but I seem to recall that having the TCP/IP protocol
    installed on both computers was sufficient to establish the
    connection. Why aren't you using TCP/IP?

    Since you don't have the NWLink installation files on your
    computer, you will need to copy them from your XP installation
    CD. Here's how:

    The following assumes that Windows is installed on C and your
    CD drive is D. If they're not, use the correct drive letters.

    Put your installation CD in the drive.
    Open a command prompt window by going to Start -> Run and
    entering cmd.exe in the Open box.
    Click OK.
    Enter the following in the command prompt window,

    Expand D:\I386\netnwlnk.in_ C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf

    Note: There's a space between netnwlnk.in_ and C:\. Also, you
    can copy and paste that line to insure it's entered correctly.

    Hit the enter key.
    You should see a message about the file being expanded.
    Close the command prompt window.
    NWLink.

    You may have already referenced these two articles, but I'm
    passing them on just in case you haven't seen them:

    Unable to Connect Using Direct Cable Connection
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310152&Product=winxp

    DCC Step-by-Step Setup For Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP
    http://www.lpt.com/Support/DCC-SetUp/dcc-setup.htm

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Toni wrote:
> [...]
    >> trying to establish might be helpful.
    >>
    >> Getting back to your problem. go back to the article I
    >> posted earlier.
    >> In step 5 of that article, is NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS
    >> Compatible Transport Protocol listed in the Select Network
    >> Protocol box? If it's not listed, click on the "Have Disk"
    >> button and browse to C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.
    >>
    >> FYI, the setup file for the NWLink protocol should be
    >> located on your computer here:
    >>
    >> C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf
    >>
    >> You should also have these files installed on your PC
    >>
    >> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkipx.sys
    >> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnknb.sys
    >> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkspx.sys
    >> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkflt.sys
    >> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkfwd.sys
    >>
    >> If you continue to run into problems, you should consider
    >> running a repair installation of XP. Take a look here for

    Here is your file, cut and paste it into notepad then save it as
    netnwlnk.inf make sure you change the save as..... drop down box to all
    files. put the file in the correct location c:/windows/inf then right click
    on it to install it. Cut everything between the top and bottom lines. Let us
    know if it works. This file came from my XP Pro system.

    start cut bellow this line

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; NWLINK IPX/SPX -- Microsoft NWLink Services
    ;
    ; Copyright (c) 1993-1999, Microsoft Corporation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------

    [Version]
    Signature = "$Windows NT$"
    Class = NetTrans
    ClassGUID = {4d36e975-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Provider = %Msft%
    LayoutFile = layout.inf
    DriverVer=07/01/2001,5.1.2535.0

    [Manufacturer]
    %Msft%=MSFT

    [MSFT]
    %NwlnkIpx_Desc%=Install_Ipx, MS_NWIPX
    %NwlnkNb_Desc%=Install_Nb, MS_NWNB
    %NwlnkSpx_Desc%=Install_Spx, MS_NWSPX

    [ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=MS_NWNB,MS_NWSPX

    ;=========================================================================
    ; NWLINK IPX Section
    ;=========================================================================

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Base Entry Point for NWLINK IPX Installation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Ipx]
    Characteristics=0x80 ; NCF_HAS_UI
    AddReg=Inst_Ndi_Ipx ; Specify the [N]etwork [d]evice nstaller

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Specify the Network Device Installer
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Inst_Ndi_Ipx]
    HKR, Ndi, ClsID,,"{c59938da-9b20-11d0-9ce3-00c04fc9bcc4}"
    HKR, Ndi, Service,,"NwlnkIpx"
    HKR, Ndi, CoServices,0x10000,"NwlnkIpx","NwlnkNb","NwlnkSpx"
    HKR, Ndi, HelpText,,"@netcfgx.dll,-50013"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange,,"ipx"
    HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange,,"ndis5,ndis4,ndiswanipx,ndis5_ipx"

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Base Entry Point for NWLINK IPX Service Installation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Ipx.Services]
    AddService=NwlnkIpx,,NwlnkIpx_Service_Inst

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's SNMP Dependency Installation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Ipx.SNMPAgent]
    AddAgent = Install_Ipx.AddIpxSNMPAgent

    [Install_Ipx.Remove.SNMPAgent]
    DelAgent = Install_Ipx.DelIpxSNMPAgent

    [Install_Ipx.AddIpxSNMPAgent]
    ServiceName = "nwlnkipx"
    AgentName = "IPXMibAgent"
    AgentPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\rtipxmib.dll"

    [Install_Ipx.DelIpxSNMPAgent]
    AgentName = "IPXMibAgent"

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's Winsock Dependency Installation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Ipx.Winsock]
    AddSock=Inst_Ipx_Winsock_Dependency

    [Inst_Ipx_Winsock_Dependency]
    TransportService=nwlnkipx
    HelperDllName="%SystemRoot%\System32\wshisn.dll"
    MaxSockAddrLength=0x10
    MinSockAddrLength=0xe
    LibraryPath="%SystemRoot%\System32\nwprovau.dll"
    DisplayString=%NwlnkIpx_Desc%
    SupportedNameSpace=1
    Version=1
    ProviderId="{e02daaf0-7e9f-11cf-ae5a-00aa00a7112b}"

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; IPX Service Definitions and Settings
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [NwlnkIpx_Service_Inst]
    DisplayName=%NwlnkIpx_Desc%
    ServiceType=1
    StartType=2
    ErrorControl=1
    ServiceBinary=%12%\nwlnkipx.sys
    LoadOrderGroup="PNP_TDI"
    AddReg=AddReg_NwlnkIpx_Service_Inst
    Description=%NwlnkIpx_Desc%

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; IPX Service Installation Registry Settings
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [AddReg_NwlnkIpx_Service_Inst]
    HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServiceProvider\Order","ExcludedProviders",0x2,""
    HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServiceProvider\Order","ProviderOrder",0x1000A,"NwlnkIpx"
    HKR,"ServiceProvider","Class",0x10001,0x8
    HKR,"ServiceProvider","Name",,%NwlnkIpx_Desc%
    HKR,"ServiceProvider","ProviderPath",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\nwprovau.dll"
    HKR,"Performance","Library",,"perfctrs.dll"
    HKR,"Performance","Open",,"OpenIPXPerformanceData"
    HKR,"Performance","Close",,"CloseIPXPerformanceData"
    HKR,"Performance","Collect",,"CollectIPXPerformanceData";
    HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\NwlnkIpx","EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%%SystemRoot%%\system32\netevent.dll"
    HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\NwlnkIpx","TypesSupported",0x10001,
    0x00000007
    HKR,"Parameters","RipRoute",0x10001,0x0

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Section for driving removal of static IPX registry settings
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Ipx.Remove]
    DelReg=DelReg_Remove_Static_Ipx

    [Install_Ipx.Remove.Services]
    DelService=NwlnkIpx

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's Winsock Dependency removal
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Ipx.Remove.Winsock]
    DelSock=Del_Ipx_Winsock_Dependency

    [Del_Ipx_Winsock_Dependency]
    TransportService=nwlnkipx
    ProviderId="{e02daaf0-7e9f-11cf-ae5a-00aa00a7112b}"

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Specify IPX static registry entries to remove
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [DelReg_Remove_Static_Ipx]
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\Protocols","ncacn_nb_ipx"
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols","ncacn_nb_ipx"
    HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\NwlnkIpx"

    ;=========================================================================
    ; NWLINK NetBIOS Section
    ;=========================================================================

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Base Entry Point for NWLINK NetBIOS Installation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Nb]
    Characteristics=0x2020 ; NCF_HIDE_BINDING | NCF_NOT_USER_REMOVABLE
    AddReg=Inst_Ndi_Nb

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Specify the Network Device Installer
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Inst_Ndi_Nb]
    HKR,Ndi,ClsID,,"{050da15f-9f13-11d0-9ce5-00c04fc9bcc4}"
    HKR,Ndi,Service,,"NwlnkNb"
    HKR,Ndi,HelpText,,"@netcfgx.dll,-50014"
    HKR,Ndi\Interfaces,UpperRange,,"netbios"
    HKR,Ndi\Interfaces,LowerRange,,"ipx"

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Base Entry Point for NWLINK NetBIOS Service Installation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Nb.Services]
    AddService=NwlnkNb,,NwlnkNb_Service_Inst

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; NetBIOS Service Definitions and Settings
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [NwlnkNb_Service_Inst]
    DisplayName=%NwlnkNb_Desc%
    ServiceType=1
    StartType=2
    ErrorControl=1
    ServiceBinary=%12%\nwlnknb.sys
    LoadOrderGroup="PNP_TDI"
    AddReg=AddReg_NwlnkNb_Service_Inst
    Description=%NwlnkNb_Desc%

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; NetBios Service Installation Registry Settings
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [AddReg_NwlnkNb_Service_Inst]
    HKR,"Parameters","NbProvider",,"_ipx"
    HKR,"Parameters","KeepaliveTimeout",0x10001,60
    HKR,"Parameters","KeepaliveCount",0x10001,8
    HKR,"Parameters","ConnectionTimeout",0x10001,2
    HKR,"Parameters","ConnectionCount",0x10001,5
    HKR,"Parameters","BroadcastCount",0x10001,3
    HKR,"Parameters","Internet",0x10001,1
    HKR,"Performance","Library",,"perfctrs.dll"
    HKR,"Performance","Open",,"OpenNWNBPerformanceData"
    HKR,"Performance","Close",,"CloseNWNBPerformanceData"
    HKR,"Performance","Collect",,"CollectNWNBPerformanceData"

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Section for driving removal of static NetBios registry settings
    ; and the deletion of the NetBios service
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Nb.Remove]
    DelReg=DelReg_Remove_Static_Nb

    [Install_Nb.Remove.Services]
    DelService=NwlnkNb

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Specify NetBios static registry entries to remove
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [DelReg_Remove_Static_Nb]

    ;=========================================================================
    ; NWLINK SPX Section
    ;=========================================================================

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Base Entry Point for NWLINK SPX Installation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Spx]
    Characteristics=0x2028 ; NCF_HIDDEN | NCF_HIDE_BINDING |
    NCF_NOT_USER_REMOVABLE
    AddReg=Inst_Ndi_Spx

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Specify the Network Device Installer
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Inst_Ndi_Spx]
    HKR,Ndi,Service,,"NwlnkSpx"
    HKR,Ndi,HelpText,,"%NwlnkSpx_HelpText%"
    HKR,Ndi\Interfaces,UpperRange,,"spx"
    HKR,Ndi\Interfaces,LowerRange,,"ipx"

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Base Entry Point for NWLINK SPX Service Installation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Spx.Services]
    AddService=NwlnkSpx,,NwlnkSpx_Service_Inst

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's Winsock Dependency Installation
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Spx.Winsock]
    AddSock=Inst_Spx_Winsock_Dependency

    [Inst_Spx_Winsock_Dependency]
    TransportService=nwlnkspx
    HelperDllName="%SystemRoot%\System32\wshisn.dll"
    MaxSockAddrLength=0x10
    MinSockAddrLength=0xe

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; SPX Service Definitions and Settings
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [NwlnkSpx_Service_Inst]
    DisplayName=%NwlnkSpx_Desc%
    ServiceType=1
    StartType=2
    ErrorControl=1
    ServiceBinary=%12%\nwlnkspx.sys
    AddReg=AddReg_NwlnkSpx_Service_Inst
    Description=%NwlnkSpx_Desc%

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; SPX Service Installation Registry Settings
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [AddReg_NwlnkSpx_Service_Inst]
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols","ncacn_spx",,"rpcrt4.dll"
    HKR,"Parameters","ConnectionCount",0x10001,5
    HKR,"Parameters","ConnectionTimeout",0x10001,2
    HKR,"Parameters","InitPackets",0x10001,5
    HKR,"Parameters","MaxPackets",0x10001,48
    HKR,"Parameters","InitialRetransmissionTime",0x10001,500
    HKR,"Parameters","KeepaliveCount",0x10001,8
    HKR,"Parameters","WindowSize",0x10001,4
    HKR,"Parameters","SpxSocketRangeStart",0x10001,24576
    HKR,"Parameters","SpxSocketRangeEnd",0x10001,32767
    HKR,"Parameters","SpxSocketUniqueness",0x10001,1
    HKR,"Parameters","MaxPacketSize",0x10001,4096
    HKR,"Parameters","RetransmissionCount",0x10001,8
    HKR,"Parameters","KeepAliveTimeout",0x10001,12
    HKR,"Performance","Library",,"perfctrs.dll"
    HKR,"Performance","Open",,"OpenSPXPerformanceData"
    HKR,"Performance","Close",,"CloseSPXPerformanceData"
    HKR,"Performance","Collect",,"CollectSPXPerformanceData"

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Section for driving removal of static SPX registry settings
    ; and the deletion of the SPX service
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Spx.Remove]
    DelReg=DelReg_Remove_Static_Spx

    [Install_Spx.Remove.Services]
    DelService=NwlnkSpx

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's Winsock Dependency removal
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Install_Spx.Remove.Winsock]
    DelSock=Del_Spx_Winsock_Dependency

    [Del_Spx_Winsock_Dependency]
    TransportService=nwlnkspx

    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Specify SPX static registry entries to remove
    ;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [DelReg_Remove_Static_Spx]
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\Protocols","ncadg_ipx"
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols","ncadg_ipx"
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\Protocols","ncacn_spx"
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols","ncacn_spx"

    [Strings]
    Msft = "Microsoft"

    NwlnkIpx_Desc = "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol"
    NwlnkNb_Desc = "NWLink NetBIOS"
    NwlnkSpx_Desc = "NWLink SPX/SPXII Protocol"

    NwlnkSpx_HelpText = ""

    End cut above this line

    > My apologies for not giving people precise information on the problem. I
    > did
    > my homework following your suggestions, and couldn't find this file in my
    > computer nor in my XP CD: C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.
    > However, the other .sys files that you mentioned are.
    > I need this driver to connect a home XP system (guest) and a W95 based
    > laptop (host). Followed all the steps to make it and they actually
    > connected
    > but I cannot map a drive. I receive a message that says 'cannot find the
    > other computer' or something like that. But the computers listen to each
    > other. The only missing piece of the conection process is the lack of such
    > protocol. Reviewing some literature on the net (sorry I don't remember the
    > source) found that without this device the computers get connected but
    > cannot
    > share resources (which is my case).
    > I copied the file from another XP based computer and couldn't instal it
    > either because it is not digitally signed. So I'm stuck.
    > My XP disc is 2002, version 5.1, service pack 2. Looks old!. I wonder if
    > such a protocol doesn't have another name in this pack?

  13. Thanks, and YES, this worked for me on my SBS 2003 server in conjunction with some other measures. First, I copied the netnwlnk.in_ file from my SBS CD and expanded it, as well as the other files, couldn't find any netnwf* files though.

    I could initially see the Netware server but no volumes were displayed, so I guess the SAP protocol part of it was working. I then created the netnwlnk.inf file you suggested by cut + paste and ran it. Now I can see all the volumes. Cheers!
    Steve

Compatibility Windows XP