Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot find NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible transport pr..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 31, 2005 6:14:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable Connection. It's
not included in the installation CD XP professional 2002, and not available
as a download in MS downloading center. Where can I find it?.
Regards
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:50:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Toni wrote:
> nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
> Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
> professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
> downloading center. Where can I find it?.
> Regards

You might want to take a look at this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp

Good luck

Nepatsfan
August 1, 2005 1:50:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru every step. However,
the problem is that I dont have the NWLink protocol in my installation kit,
so my question is where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP, it
has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
I'd appretiate more help

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Toni wrote:
> > nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
> > Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
> > professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
> > downloading center. Where can I find it?.
> > Regards
>
> You might want to take a look at this article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:26:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

1-5 on that link tells you how to install it, you will need your XP cd.

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8260DC32-7E14-4C14-8AD0-609F9D00C6D9@microsoft.com...
> Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru every step.
> However,
> the problem is that I dont have the NWLink protocol in my installation
> kit,
> so my question is where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP,
> it
> has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
> I'd appretiate more help
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Toni wrote:
>> > nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
>> > Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
>> > professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
>> > downloading center. Where can I find it?.
>> > Regards
>>
>> You might want to take a look at this article:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>>
>>
>>
August 1, 2005 9:23:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks but unfortunately this device is NOT in the XP CD. That's why I am
looking for help
regards

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> 1-5 on that link tells you how to install it, you will need your XP cd.
>
> --
>
>
> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>
>
>
> "Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8260DC32-7E14-4C14-8AD0-609F9D00C6D9@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru every step.
> > However,
> > the problem is that I dont have the NWLink protocol in my installation
> > kit,
> > so my question is where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP,
> > it
> > has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
> > I'd appretiate more help
> >
> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >
> >> Toni wrote:
> >> > nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
> >> > Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
> >> > professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
> >> > downloading center. Where can I find it?.
> >> > Regards
> >>
> >> You might want to take a look at this article:
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
> >>
> >> Good luck
> >>
> >> Nepatsfan
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:37:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

The cable manufacturer.

Toni wrote:
> nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable Connection. It's
> not included in the installation CD XP professional 2002, and not available
> as a download in MS downloading center. Where can I find it?.
> Regards

--
Oderient dum Metuant
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 3:46:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Toni wrote:
> Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru
> every step. However, the problem is that I dont have the
> NWLink protocol in my installation kit, so my question is
> where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP, it
> has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
> I'd appretiate more help

Where in the process of trying to install NWLink are you
running into problems? You've got to provide more info than you
have so far. You're asking people who are not sitting in front
of your computer to help you with a problem. They can't see
what you're doing. The statement "I don't have the NWLink
protocol in my installation kit" tells me nothing.

In a standard installation of Windows XP, Home or Professional,
all the files necessary to enable the NWLink protocol are
installed by default. It's just a matter of adding it to your
network connection. Who installed XP on your computer? It's
possible that NWLink was not included in the original
installation.

Also, is this PC part of a domain? If it is, a Group Policy
could be in place to prevent the installation. It also would be
helpful to know why you need to install NWLink. More details
concerning the Direct Cable Connection you're trying to
establish might be helpful.

Getting back to your problem. go back to the article I posted
earlier.
In step 5 of that article, is NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible
Transport Protocol listed in the Select Network Protocol box?
If it's not listed, click on the "Have Disk" button and browse
to C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.

FYI, the setup file for the NWLink protocol should be located
on your computer here:

C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf

You should also have these files installed on your PC

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkipx.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnknb.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkspx.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkflt.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkfwd.sys

If you continue to run into problems, you should consider
running a repair installation of XP. Take a look here for more
details on that procedure:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Good luck

Nepatsfan


>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Toni wrote:
>>> nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
>>> Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
>>> professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
>>> downloading center. Where can I find it?.
>>> Regards
>>
>> You might want to take a look at this article:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:10:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Yes it is, you must be doing something wrong. What happens when you try.
What error message?

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ABA7F59C-ABFC-4A54-A1E5-43D0F30C9396@microsoft.com...
> Thanks but unfortunately this device is NOT in the XP CD. That's why I am
> looking for help
> regards
>
> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> 1-5 on that link tells you how to install it, you will need your XP cd.
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
>> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>>
>>
>>
>> "Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:8260DC32-7E14-4C14-8AD0-609F9D00C6D9@microsoft.com...
>> > Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru every step.
>> > However,
>> > the problem is that I dont have the NWLink protocol in my installation
>> > kit,
>> > so my question is where can I find it?. This file is part of windows
>> > XP,
>> > it
>> > has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
>> > I'd appretiate more help
>> >
>> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Toni wrote:
>> >> > nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
>> >> > Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
>> >> > professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
>> >> > downloading center. Where can I find it?.
>> >> > Regards
>> >>
>> >> You might want to take a look at this article:
>> >>
>> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
>> >>
>> >> Good luck
>> >>
>> >> Nepatsfan
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>>
August 1, 2005 10:07:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I receive no error message but 'Windows cannot find the driver for this
device'. I tried in the CD and it is not either.

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> Yes it is, you must be doing something wrong. What happens when you try.
> What error message?
>
> --
>
>
> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>
>
>
> "Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:ABA7F59C-ABFC-4A54-A1E5-43D0F30C9396@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks but unfortunately this device is NOT in the XP CD. That's why I am
> > looking for help
> > regards
> >
> > "pcbutts1" wrote:
> >
> >> 1-5 on that link tells you how to install it, you will need your XP cd.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>
> >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> "Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:8260DC32-7E14-4C14-8AD0-609F9D00C6D9@microsoft.com...
> >> > Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru every step.
> >> > However,
> >> > the problem is that I dont have the NWLink protocol in my installation
> >> > kit,
> >> > so my question is where can I find it?. This file is part of windows
> >> > XP,
> >> > it
> >> > has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
> >> > I'd appretiate more help
> >> >
> >> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Toni wrote:
> >> >> > nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
> >> >> > Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
> >> >> > professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
> >> >> > downloading center. Where can I find it?.
> >> >> > Regards
> >> >>
> >> >> You might want to take a look at this article:
> >> >>
> >> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
> >> >>
> >> >> Good luck
> >> >>
> >> >> Nepatsfan
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
August 1, 2005 10:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

My apologies for not giving people precise information on the problem. I did
my homework following your suggestions, and couldn't find this file in my
computer nor in my XP CD: C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.
However, the other .sys files that you mentioned are.
I need this driver to connect a home XP system (guest) and a W95 based
laptop (host). Followed all the steps to make it and they actually connected
but I cannot map a drive. I receive a message that says 'cannot find the
other computer' or something like that. But the computers listen to each
other. The only missing piece of the conection process is the lack of such
protocol. Reviewing some literature on the net (sorry I don't remember the
source) found that without this device the computers get connected but cannot
share resources (which is my case).
I copied the file from another XP based computer and couldn't instal it
either because it is not digitally signed. So I'm stuck.
My XP disc is 2002, version 5.1, service pack 2. Looks old!. I wonder if
such a protocol doesn't have another name in this pack?

Well, I appretiate so many efforts of very bussy people to help me. I thank
you all and am proud of taking part on this discusion. And if there's any
other chance to try another resource, it's very welcome. Best regards




"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Toni wrote:
> > Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru
> > every step. However, the problem is that I dont have the
> > NWLink protocol in my installation kit, so my question is
> > where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP, it
> > has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
> > I'd appretiate more help
>
> Where in the process of trying to install NWLink are you
> running into problems? You've got to provide more info than you
> have so far. You're asking people who are not sitting in front
> of your computer to help you with a problem. They can't see
> what you're doing. The statement "I don't have the NWLink
> protocol in my installation kit" tells me nothing.
>
> In a standard installation of Windows XP, Home or Professional,
> all the files necessary to enable the NWLink protocol are
> installed by default. It's just a matter of adding it to your
> network connection. Who installed XP on your computer? It's
> possible that NWLink was not included in the original
> installation.
>
> Also, is this PC part of a domain? If it is, a Group Policy
> could be in place to prevent the installation. It also would be
> helpful to know why you need to install NWLink. More details
> concerning the Direct Cable Connection you're trying to
> establish might be helpful.
>
> Getting back to your problem. go back to the article I posted
> earlier.
> In step 5 of that article, is NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible
> Transport Protocol listed in the Select Network Protocol box?
> If it's not listed, click on the "Have Disk" button and browse
> to C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.
>
> FYI, the setup file for the NWLink protocol should be located
> on your computer here:
>
> C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf
>
> You should also have these files installed on your PC
>
> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkipx.sys
> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnknb.sys
> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkspx.sys
> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkflt.sys
> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkfwd.sys
>
> If you continue to run into problems, you should consider
> running a repair installation of XP. Take a look here for more
> details on that procedure:
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>
>
> >
> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >
> >> Toni wrote:
> >>> nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct Cable
> >>> Connection. It's not included in the installation CD XP
> >>> professional 2002, and not available as a download in MS
> >>> downloading center. Where can I find it?.
> >>> Regards
> >>
> >> You might want to take a look at this article:
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
> >>
> >> Good luck
> >>
> >> Nepatsfan
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:40:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Toni wrote:
> I receive no error message but 'Windows cannot find the driver for
> this device'. I tried in the CD and it is not either.

IPX/SPX is a protocol - not a driver.. have you installed the actual DRIVER
from the card manufacturer for the device? Without a driver, it cannot
understand the IPX/SPX protocol - that is for sure.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:36:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I'm guessing your laptop doesn't have an ethernet card
installed? If it has one, it's a much simpler procedure to
connect two computers with a crossover cable than it is to use
the method you're trying to setup.

It's been awhile since I've had to setup a direct cable
connection but I seem to recall that having the TCP/IP protocol
installed on both computers was sufficient to establish the
connection. Why aren't you using TCP/IP?

Since you don't have the NWLink installation files on your
computer, you will need to copy them from your XP installation
CD. Here's how:

The following assumes that Windows is installed on C and your
CD drive is D. If they're not, use the correct drive letters.

Put your installation CD in the drive.
Open a command prompt window by going to Start -> Run and
entering cmd.exe in the Open box.
Click OK.
Enter the following in the command prompt window,

Expand D:\I386\netnwlnk.in_ C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf

Note: There's a space between netnwlnk.in_ and C:\. Also, you
can copy and paste that line to insure it's entered correctly.

Hit the enter key.
You should see a message about the file being expanded.
Close the command prompt window.
Go back to your connection setup and see if you can install
NWLink.

You may have already referenced these two articles, but I'm
passing them on just in case you haven't seen them:

Unable to Connect Using Direct Cable Connection
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310152&Product=winxp

DCC Step-by-Step Setup For Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP
http://www.lpt.com/Support/DCC-SetUp/dcc-setup.htm

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Toni wrote:
> My apologies for not giving people precise information on
> the problem. I did my homework following your suggestions,
> and couldn't find this file in my computer nor in my XP CD:
> C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.
> However, the other .sys files that you mentioned are.
> I need this driver to connect a home XP system (guest) and
> a W95 based laptop (host). Followed all the steps to make it
> and they actually connected but I cannot map a drive. I
> receive a message that says 'cannot find the other computer'
> or something like that. But the computers listen to each
> other. The only missing piece of the conection process is
> the lack of such protocol. Reviewing some literature on the
> net (sorry I don't remember the source) found that without
> this device the computers get connected but cannot share
> resources (which is my case).
> I copied the file from another XP based computer and
> couldn't instal it either because it is not digitally
> signed. So I'm stuck.
> My XP disc is 2002, version 5.1, service pack 2. Looks old!.
> I wonder if such a protocol doesn't have another name in
> this pack?
>
> Well, I appretiate so many efforts of very bussy people to
> help me. I thank you all and am proud of taking part on this
> discusion. And if there's any other chance to try another
> resource, it's very welcome. Best regards
>
>
>
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Toni wrote:
>>> Thank you. The article is good and actually I went thru
>>> every step. However, the problem is that I dont have the
>>> NWLink protocol in my installation kit, so my question is
>>> where can I find it?. This file is part of windows XP, it
>>> has nothing to do with the cable manufacturer.
>>> I'd appretiate more help
>>
>> Where in the process of trying to install NWLink are you
>> running into problems? You've got to provide more info than
>> you have so far. You're asking people who are not sitting
>> in front of your computer to help you with a problem. They
>> can't see what you're doing. The statement "I don't have
>> the NWLink protocol in my installation kit" tells me
>> nothing.
>>
>> In a standard installation of Windows XP, Home or
>> Professional, all the files necessary to enable the NWLink
>> protocol are installed by default. It's just a matter of
>> adding it to your network connection. Who installed XP on
>> your computer? It's possible that NWLink was not included
>> in the original installation.
>>
>> Also, is this PC part of a domain? If it is, a Group Policy
>> could be in place to prevent the installation. It also
>> would be helpful to know why you need to install NWLink.
>> More details concerning the Direct Cable Connection you're
>> trying to establish might be helpful.
>>
>> Getting back to your problem. go back to the article I
>> posted earlier.
>> In step 5 of that article, is NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS
>> Compatible Transport Protocol listed in the Select Network
>> Protocol box? If it's not listed, click on the "Have Disk"
>> button and browse to C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.
>>
>> FYI, the setup file for the NWLink protocol should be
>> located on your computer here:
>>
>> C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf
>>
>> You should also have these files installed on your PC
>>
>> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkipx.sys
>> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnknb.sys
>> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkspx.sys
>> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkflt.sys
>> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nwlnkfwd.sys
>>
>> If you continue to run into problems, you should consider
>> running a repair installation of XP. Take a look here for
>> more details on that procedure:
>>
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>>
>>
>>>
>>> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>>>
>>>> Toni wrote:
>>>>> nHi There!. I need this protocol to complete a Direct
>>>>> Cable Connection. It's not included in the installation
>>>>> CD XP professional 2002, and not available as a download
>>>>> in MS downloading center. Where can I find it?.
>>>>> Regards
>>>>
>>>> You might want to take a look at this article:
>>>>
>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814987&Product=winxp
>>>>
>>>> Good luck
>>>>
>>>> Nepatsfan
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:24:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Here is your file, cut and paste it into notepad then save it as
netnwlnk.inf make sure you change the save as..... drop down box to all
files. put the file in the correct location c:/windows/inf then right click
on it to install it. Cut everything between the top and bottom lines. Let us
know if it works. This file came from my XP Pro system.


start cut bellow this line
====================================================================================


;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NWLINK IPX/SPX -- Microsoft NWLink Services
;
; Copyright (c) 1993-1999, Microsoft Corporation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Class = NetTrans
ClassGUID = {4d36e975-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider = %Msft%
LayoutFile = layout.inf
DriverVer=07/01/2001,5.1.2535.0

[Manufacturer]
%Msft%=MSFT

[MSFT]
%NwlnkIpx_Desc%=Install_Ipx, MS_NWIPX
%NwlnkNb_Desc%=Install_Nb, MS_NWNB
%NwlnkSpx_Desc%=Install_Spx, MS_NWSPX

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=MS_NWNB,MS_NWSPX

;=========================================================================
; NWLINK IPX Section
;=========================================================================

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Base Entry Point for NWLINK IPX Installation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Ipx]
Characteristics=0x80 ; NCF_HAS_UI
AddReg=Inst_Ndi_Ipx ; Specify the [N]etwork [d]evice nstaller

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Specify the Network Device Installer
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Inst_Ndi_Ipx]
HKR, Ndi, ClsID,,"{c59938da-9b20-11d0-9ce3-00c04fc9bcc4}"
HKR, Ndi, Service,,"NwlnkIpx"
HKR, Ndi, CoServices,0x10000,"NwlnkIpx","NwlnkNb","NwlnkSpx"
HKR, Ndi, HelpText,,"@netcfgx.dll,-50013"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange,,"ipx"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange,,"ndis5,ndis4,ndiswanipx,ndis5_ipx"

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Base Entry Point for NWLINK IPX Service Installation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Ipx.Services]
AddService=NwlnkIpx,,NwlnkIpx_Service_Inst

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's SNMP Dependency Installation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Ipx.SNMPAgent]
AddAgent = Install_Ipx.AddIpxSNMPAgent

[Install_Ipx.Remove.SNMPAgent]
DelAgent = Install_Ipx.DelIpxSNMPAgent

[Install_Ipx.AddIpxSNMPAgent]
ServiceName = "nwlnkipx"
AgentName = "IPXMibAgent"
AgentPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\rtipxmib.dll"

[Install_Ipx.DelIpxSNMPAgent]
AgentName = "IPXMibAgent"

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's Winsock Dependency Installation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Ipx.Winsock]
AddSock=Inst_Ipx_Winsock_Dependency

[Inst_Ipx_Winsock_Dependency]
TransportService=nwlnkipx
HelperDllName="%SystemRoot%\System32\wshisn.dll"
MaxSockAddrLength=0x10
MinSockAddrLength=0xe
LibraryPath="%SystemRoot%\System32\nwprovau.dll"
DisplayString=%NwlnkIpx_Desc%
SupportedNameSpace=1
Version=1
ProviderId="{e02daaf0-7e9f-11cf-ae5a-00aa00a7112b}"

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; IPX Service Definitions and Settings
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[NwlnkIpx_Service_Inst]
DisplayName=%NwlnkIpx_Desc%
ServiceType=1
StartType=2
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\nwlnkipx.sys
LoadOrderGroup="PNP_TDI"
AddReg=AddReg_NwlnkIpx_Service_Inst
Description=%NwlnkIpx_Desc%

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; IPX Service Installation Registry Settings
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[AddReg_NwlnkIpx_Service_Inst]
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServiceProvider\Order","ExcludedProviders",0x2,""
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServiceProvider\Order","ProviderOrder",0x1000A,"NwlnkIpx"
HKR,"ServiceProvider","Class",0x10001,0x8
HKR,"ServiceProvider","Name",,%NwlnkIpx_Desc%
HKR,"ServiceProvider","ProviderPath",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\nwprovau.dll"
HKR,"Performance","Library",,"perfctrs.dll"
HKR,"Performance","Open",,"OpenIPXPerformanceData"
HKR,"Performance","Close",,"CloseIPXPerformanceData"
HKR,"Performance","Collect",,"CollectIPXPerformanceData";
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\NwlnkIpx","EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%%SystemRoot%%\system32\netevent.dll"
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\NwlnkIpx","TypesSupported",0x10001,
0x00000007
HKR,"Parameters","RipRoute",0x10001,0x0

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Section for driving removal of static IPX registry settings
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Ipx.Remove]
DelReg=DelReg_Remove_Static_Ipx

[Install_Ipx.Remove.Services]
DelService=NwlnkIpx

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's Winsock Dependency removal
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Ipx.Remove.Winsock]
DelSock=Del_Ipx_Winsock_Dependency

[Del_Ipx_Winsock_Dependency]
TransportService=nwlnkipx
ProviderId="{e02daaf0-7e9f-11cf-ae5a-00aa00a7112b}"

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Specify IPX static registry entries to remove
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[DelReg_Remove_Static_Ipx]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\Protocols","ncacn_nb_ipx"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols","ncacn_nb_ipx"
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\NwlnkIpx"


;=========================================================================
; NWLINK NetBIOS Section
;=========================================================================

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Base Entry Point for NWLINK NetBIOS Installation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Nb]
Characteristics=0x2020 ; NCF_HIDE_BINDING | NCF_NOT_USER_REMOVABLE
AddReg=Inst_Ndi_Nb

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Specify the Network Device Installer
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Inst_Ndi_Nb]
HKR,Ndi,ClsID,,"{050da15f-9f13-11d0-9ce5-00c04fc9bcc4}"
HKR,Ndi,Service,,"NwlnkNb"
HKR,Ndi,HelpText,,"@netcfgx.dll,-50014"
HKR,Ndi\Interfaces,UpperRange,,"netbios"
HKR,Ndi\Interfaces,LowerRange,,"ipx"

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Base Entry Point for NWLINK NetBIOS Service Installation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Nb.Services]
AddService=NwlnkNb,,NwlnkNb_Service_Inst

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NetBIOS Service Definitions and Settings
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[NwlnkNb_Service_Inst]
DisplayName=%NwlnkNb_Desc%
ServiceType=1
StartType=2
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\nwlnknb.sys
LoadOrderGroup="PNP_TDI"
AddReg=AddReg_NwlnkNb_Service_Inst
Description=%NwlnkNb_Desc%

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NetBios Service Installation Registry Settings
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[AddReg_NwlnkNb_Service_Inst]
HKR,"Parameters","NbProvider",,"_ipx"
HKR,"Parameters","KeepaliveTimeout",0x10001,60
HKR,"Parameters","KeepaliveCount",0x10001,8
HKR,"Parameters","ConnectionTimeout",0x10001,2
HKR,"Parameters","ConnectionCount",0x10001,5
HKR,"Parameters","BroadcastCount",0x10001,3
HKR,"Parameters","Internet",0x10001,1
HKR,"Performance","Library",,"perfctrs.dll"
HKR,"Performance","Open",,"OpenNWNBPerformanceData"
HKR,"Performance","Close",,"CloseNWNBPerformanceData"
HKR,"Performance","Collect",,"CollectNWNBPerformanceData"

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Section for driving removal of static NetBios registry settings
; and the deletion of the NetBios service
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Nb.Remove]
DelReg=DelReg_Remove_Static_Nb

[Install_Nb.Remove.Services]
DelService=NwlnkNb

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Specify NetBios static registry entries to remove
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[DelReg_Remove_Static_Nb]


;=========================================================================
; NWLINK SPX Section
;=========================================================================

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Base Entry Point for NWLINK SPX Installation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Spx]
Characteristics=0x2028 ; NCF_HIDDEN | NCF_HIDE_BINDING |
NCF_NOT_USER_REMOVABLE
AddReg=Inst_Ndi_Spx

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Specify the Network Device Installer
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Inst_Ndi_Spx]
HKR,Ndi,Service,,"NwlnkSpx"
HKR,Ndi,HelpText,,"%NwlnkSpx_HelpText%"
HKR,Ndi\Interfaces,UpperRange,,"spx"
HKR,Ndi\Interfaces,LowerRange,,"ipx"

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Base Entry Point for NWLINK SPX Service Installation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Spx.Services]
AddService=NwlnkSpx,,NwlnkSpx_Service_Inst

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's Winsock Dependency Installation
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Spx.Winsock]
AddSock=Inst_Spx_Winsock_Dependency

[Inst_Spx_Winsock_Dependency]
TransportService=nwlnkspx
HelperDllName="%SystemRoot%\System32\wshisn.dll"
MaxSockAddrLength=0x10
MinSockAddrLength=0xe

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; SPX Service Definitions and Settings
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[NwlnkSpx_Service_Inst]
DisplayName=%NwlnkSpx_Desc%
ServiceType=1
StartType=2
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\nwlnkspx.sys
AddReg=AddReg_NwlnkSpx_Service_Inst
Description=%NwlnkSpx_Desc%

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; SPX Service Installation Registry Settings
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[AddReg_NwlnkSpx_Service_Inst]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols","ncacn_spx",,"rpcrt4.dll"
HKR,"Parameters","ConnectionCount",0x10001,5
HKR,"Parameters","ConnectionTimeout",0x10001,2
HKR,"Parameters","InitPackets",0x10001,5
HKR,"Parameters","MaxPackets",0x10001,48
HKR,"Parameters","InitialRetransmissionTime",0x10001,500
HKR,"Parameters","KeepaliveCount",0x10001,8
HKR,"Parameters","WindowSize",0x10001,4
HKR,"Parameters","SpxSocketRangeStart",0x10001,24576
HKR,"Parameters","SpxSocketRangeEnd",0x10001,32767
HKR,"Parameters","SpxSocketUniqueness",0x10001,1
HKR,"Parameters","MaxPacketSize",0x10001,4096
HKR,"Parameters","RetransmissionCount",0x10001,8
HKR,"Parameters","KeepAliveTimeout",0x10001,12
HKR,"Performance","Library",,"perfctrs.dll"
HKR,"Performance","Open",,"OpenSPXPerformanceData"
HKR,"Performance","Close",,"CloseSPXPerformanceData"
HKR,"Performance","Collect",,"CollectSPXPerformanceData"

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Section for driving removal of static SPX registry settings
; and the deletion of the SPX service
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Spx.Remove]
DelReg=DelReg_Remove_Static_Spx

[Install_Spx.Remove.Services]
DelService=NwlnkSpx

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Entry Point for the NWLINK IPX Service's Winsock Dependency removal
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Install_Spx.Remove.Winsock]
DelSock=Del_Spx_Winsock_Dependency

[Del_Spx_Winsock_Dependency]
TransportService=nwlnkspx

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Specify SPX static registry entries to remove
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[DelReg_Remove_Static_Spx]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\Protocols","ncadg_ipx"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols","ncadg_ipx"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\Protocols","ncacn_spx"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols","ncacn_spx"

[Strings]
Msft = "Microsoft"

NwlnkIpx_Desc = "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol"
NwlnkNb_Desc = "NWLink NetBIOS"
NwlnkSpx_Desc = "NWLink SPX/SPXII Protocol"

NwlnkSpx_HelpText = ""


=====================================================================================
End cut above this line

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BEAB4DB4-6A6F-4B34-907F-EFACC092097A@microsoft.com...
> My apologies for not giving people precise information on the problem. I
> did
> my homework following your suggestions, and couldn't find this file in my
> computer nor in my XP CD: C:\Windows\Inf\netnwlnk.inf.
> However, the other .sys files that you mentioned are.
> I need this driver to connect a home XP system (guest) and a W95 based
> laptop (host). Followed all the steps to make it and they actually
> connected
> but I cannot map a drive. I receive a message that says 'cannot find the
> other computer' or something like that. But the computers listen to each
> other. The only missing piece of the conection process is the lack of such
> protocol. Reviewing some literature on the net (sorry I don't remember the
> source) found that without this device the computers get connected but
> cannot
> share resources (which is my case).
> I copied the file from another XP based computer and couldn't instal it
> either because it is not digitally signed. So I'm stuck.
> My XP disc is 2002, version 5.1, service pack 2. Looks old!. I wonder if
> such a protocol doesn't have another name in this pack?
>
June 12, 2009 12:24:29 PM

Thanks, and YES, this worked for me on my SBS 2003 server in conjunction with some other measures. First, I copied the netnwlnk.in_ file from my SBS CD and expanded it, as well as the other files, couldn't find any netnwf* files though.

I could initially see the Netware server but no volumes were displayed, so I guess the SAP protocol part of it was working. I then created the netnwlnk.inf file you suggested by cut + paste and ran it. Now I can see all the volumes. Cheers!
Steve
!