Anyone make a non-integrated Mobo?

legb

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
I like things simple, maybe because I am simple minded... Does any good, decent mobo manufacturer make a P4 mobo that does not have sound, video, NIC and the kitchen sink built in?

Simple,

Teach a man to build a fire and he will stay warm all night…
Set a man on fire and he will stay warm the rest of his life…

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I really dought that you can find a Motherboard with out sound. Although getting one with out the others is quite easy. Why do you want to do this? Getting built in items saves on the over all expenses.

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.

legb

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
I have a lot of experience with Dell machines at work. The integrated stuff tends to go bad. I know this is not a good argument, but I like having the flexibility to change out a sound card or a new video card. Just an observation I have seen as I am searching for a new P4 board.

Teach a man to build a fire and he will stay warm all night…
Set a man on fire and he will stay warm the rest of his life…

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
hehe thats cause dell prolly uses shitty mobos...

the sound on most current mobos is excellent...

the nics are fine...

but the video definitly sux...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Nobody gets integrated video if they intend any serious or semiserious gaming or other graphic applications.

As for the onboard sound and nic, you can always disable them. Some people still need/want better sound than the mobo will produce. I suppose it is possible that the some chip, circuit or capacitor related to those functions you mention burn out and take the rest of the board with it (increase the probablilty of board failure). You can always buy a cheap spare when that wave of technology is about to go off the market or find a bargain (or pay a premium) in the 2nd hand market when that wave of technology disappears from the regular retail chain.

Heck, they were throwing out P50's onto the street, good Mobo's, processors and memory even some graphics cards. Don't know if it was worth the gas to go pick up this stuff though :wink:

The loving are the daring!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your arguments are not valid. If you get a machine with an AGP slot, you can put any AGP card in you like, even if it also has onboard video. In fact, modern chipsets detect the card and turn off onboard video automatically. But you can find top notch boards without onboard video.

Onboard sound/NIC/etc. You get PCI slots on your motherboard. You don't get fewer PCI slots just because there's onboard stuff. Onboard stuff is just a bonus. You disable what you don't need. And it saves the company money to make just one board, rather than several versions. Which means it is cheaper for you to disable what you don't want than it would be to buy a custom board with the parts removed.

So you "like to have the flexibility to change out a new sound card or video card" is not a valid argument, since most boards have an AGP slot and several PCI slots for adding whatever you need, and whatever you don't need can be turned off in BIOS.

In fact, the onboard stuff increases flexibility. For example, I used my newer system as a second system for a while, with onboard audio, before retiring the older system and putting that sound card in the newer system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>