formating 2000 pro HELP!

amdark

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
my comp is a mess how do i format my hard drive in wndows 2000 pro?
i went to run>cmd>to prompt>entered cd C:\>format C: i then said yes tot he format and it gave me an error.

error:
format can not run because volume is in us by another process. format may run if volume is dismounted first. all opened handles to this volume would then be invalid. would u like to force a dismount on this volume?

i said yes.
then it gave me another error.

error:
cannot lock the drive. volume is still i use.

i did htis all in windows mind u i think that is the problem. but didnt 2000 get rid of DOS so i dont know how to get to a commnad prompt outside windows during start up.

im really lost. as u can tell this is my first time formating 2000 never needed to format 2000 or xp before only ever reformated 98.

can some plz help me?

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I just use the free proggie my HD manufacturer offers (Maxtor HD/Maxblast3). See if your HD manufacturer offers something similar. Or use fdisk (how you did it with win98se).

I just migrated to win2k, but haven't tried what you have. But, yes, sounds like you can't format the drive cuz it's in use by win2k

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i went to run>cmd>to prompt>entered cd C:\>format C: i then said yes tot he format and it gave me an error.

error:
format can not run because volume is in us by another process. format may run if volume is dismounted first. all opened handles to this volume would then be invalid. would u like to force a dismount on this volume?
You cannot format system drive when you're in Windows.
You can use W2k CD to format and install a new Windows installation.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
yeah, because the format program would be "eating itself" if you were allowed to do that ;-)

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Latest posts