Portable Yagi Mast Ideas?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Hi guys, Just fot my 6 element Antennex Yagi, 20feet LMR195 cable and
all the connectors to attach to my Verizon and ATT phones...
OK, any ideas to set up/buy a collpsible mast? Needs to fit in a small
car, so each section max length would be 4.5 feet. Six foot sections
are possible but I would need to store them from front to back
windshield.
I have to set it up in 2 days. I have lots 1" EMT conduit and some
3/4". Thought about using clevis pins and/or 3/4" EMT or PVC to join
1" sections.
Can mount the mast to a vertical solid bike rack while on the vehicle.

Any Radioshack options?
Any quick/dirty and light methods to create a stable base, once set up
camping rather than use my Yakima bike rack/car?

Larry talked about using a collapsible swimming pool handle? Others
talked about a Dish tripod.
Aluminum tube would be much lighter.
Haven't checked these out yet.

Could I drive around with this set up?....... just kidding:)

Thanks,

Gator

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Why not sign up to become a radio-amateur (ham),
that's what they're all about...You can log on to the
ARRL web-site and find all kinds of antennas: Yagis,
Quads,...etc.. all kinds of mounts. Regards

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:23:14 -0700, Gator wrote:

> Why not sign up to become a radio-amateur (ham),
> that's what they're all about...You can log on to the
> ARRL web-site and find all kinds of antennas: Yagis,
> Quads,...etc.. all kinds of mounts. Regards

You don't just "sign up" to become a ham. You have to take an FCC
examination on regulations and radio theory.

It is a good suggestion though. Ham radio is a great hobby.

Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote in message news:<17rukpvp4uu2k$.1qqx8u9m5e64i$.dlg@40tude.net>...
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:23:14 -0700, Gator wrote:
>
> > Why not sign up to become a radio-amateur (ham),
> > that's what they're all about...You can log on to the
> > ARRL web-site and find all kinds of antennas: Yagis,
> > Quads,...etc.. all kinds of mounts. Regards
>
> You don't just "sign up" to become a ham. You have to take an FCC
> examination on regulations and radio theory.
>
> It is a good suggestion though. Ham radio is a great hobby.

Thanks for the ARRL site, interesting. But I have 2 days to make a
12'-15' mast.

Think I'll drill a couple of holes in the EMT and hammer lag screws
through into an old stump. Remove with a ratchet. Leaving a top
section to rotate for aiming. I'm going to see what Radioshack has
today.
-
David

On 10 Jul 2004 12:07:33 -0700, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote:

>hanks for the ARRL site, interesting. But I have 2 days to make a
>12'-15' mast.
>
>Think I'll drill a couple of holes in the EMT and hammer lag screws
>through into an old stump. Remove with a ratchet. Leaving a top
>section to rotate for aiming. I'm going to see what Radioshack has
>today.

Please post back how you came out. I'm having to build a temporary
22' mast out of PVC for different reasons, and I need a rotating
platform at the top, too. And it's got to be on the cheap. I'll only
be rotating a 2-3 pound box, so I don't really need an antenna rotor.

davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0407101107.32690c2f@posting.google.com>...
> Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote in message news:<17rukpvp4uu2k$.1qqx8u9m5e64i$.dlg@40tude.net>...
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:23:14 -0700, Gator wrote:
> >
> > > Why not sign up to become a radio-amateur (ham),
> > > that's what they're all about...You can log on to the
> > > ARRL web-site and find all kinds of antennas: Yagis,
> > > Quads,...etc.. all kinds of mounts. Regards
> >
> > You don't just "sign up" to become a ham. You have to take an FCC
> > examination on regulations and radio theory.
> >
> > It is a good suggestion though. Ham radio is a great hobby.
>
> Thanks for the ARRL site, interesting. But I have 2 days to make a
> 12'-15' mast.
>
> Think I'll drill a couple of holes in the EMT and hammer lag screws
> through into an old stump. Remove with a ratchet. Leaving a top
> section to rotate for aiming. I'm going to see what Radioshack has
> today.
> -
> David

I got a free 15' extention pool handle from a friend and mounted it on
trailer hitch bike rack, using few feet 1" EMT for the base, which
the pool handle slipped over.. One bolt at the bottom and a curtain
hangar slide (for adjusting level) at the second top attachment. Then
a piece of pvc. glued, inside the top poolmast section, where the
Yaggi was clamped.
Wow it really works!
Happy trails!

"David L" <davidlind@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> OK, any ideas to set up/buy a collpsible mast? Needs to fit in a small

I recently saw an aluminum flagpole at a lawn and garden show. It very
easily telescoped up to about 20'. Sorry I didn't save the name or website.
Only disadvantage is that it was a tad spendy. You might also look at things
like telescoping light-bulb changers, tree trimmers, fruit pickers, etc.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

RobertP

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

What about Home Depot. But different PVC sizes, have one slip into an
other, into another...Drill holes through the operlap sections and use bolts
with nuts to secure them....Or better, use conduit

Bob