512 MB PC2700 DDR
ABIT Siluro 8X AGP video card
60 Gig Hard Drive ATA 133
Floppy, CDRW and DVD player
MS Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Windows ME
400W PS

Problem

I was browsing the internet when the pc froze. I rebooted but it kept freezing up when I was browsing. I used "CTL+ALT+DEL" to close the browser, IE5. I then tried to power down as usual from the start menu when I got a few error messages (System resoursces dangerously low, error in kernel?). The PC would not shut down so I held the power button and it shut down. I then tried to turn it on again and NOTHING HAPPENED. NIL. NADA. I opened the case and tried the reset button a few times but nothing happened. I NOTICED a tiny amber light on the upper right hand corner of the Motherboard when I hit the start button(Ram LED light). It goes off when I hold the power button to shut down. Nothing else works. All the fans are dead (Case, CPU, MB, AGP). The HD does nothing. Floppy and Drives are dead. No beeps. Nothing. The only thing I noticed after looking over the MB is some talc-like powder along the MB memory bank where my memory was installed. No unusual odor was detected.

I had just finished downloading some songs on the internet when this happened, 30 minutes later. I have an updated Antivirus software.

How can I determine what is wrong with my PC without spending a lot of money? Do I have to replace everything?

I apologize for the length of the post. Thanks.

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Try the main power switch in the back of the tower. switch it off and wait 30 sec and than switch it on........than turn on power. Also, leave the case open and see if the fan turns on shortly. If only fan turns on and than stops...it might be a bad power suppy unit. Try replacing it,...ideally with one from another system..., to see if this fixes the problem; before purchasing a new one.