henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Hello

Can anyone recommend a simple to use newsreader please? Outlook
Express doesn't work on my pc despite all my efforts to repair it so I
installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This now doesn't work either.
I'm posting this using Agent but don't really like it. So any ideas
would be very welcome.

TIA

Henry

map

Henry wrote:
> Hello
>
> Can anyone recommend a simple to use newsreader please? Outlook
> Express doesn't work on my pc despite all my efforts to repair it so I
> installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This now doesn't work either.
> I'm posting this using Agent but don't really like it. So any ideas
> would be very welcome.
>
> TIA
>
> Henry

Running the system file checker can fix many problems with OE/IE
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

--
Mike Pawlak

Gordon

Henry wrote:
> Hello
>
> Can anyone recommend a simple to use newsreader please? Outlook
> Express doesn't work on my pc despite all my efforts to repair it so I
> installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This now doesn't work either.
> I'm posting this using Agent but don't really like it. So any ideas
> would be very welcome.
>
> TIA
>
> Henry

I suggest you might do a THOROUGH clean of your machine with Spybot,
Adaware and a good updated AV scanner.

What EXACTLY do you mean "Thunderbird won't work now either"? What do
you mean by "won't work"?

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Thank you.On Outlook Express I get the following message:

Outlook Express could not be started. The application data was unable
to create the font cache object. Your computer may be out of memory or
your disk is full. Contract Microsoft support for further assistance
(0x8007000E, 127)

Closing that box brings up:

Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be
initializes. Outlook Express may not be installed.

I gave up trying to repair Outlook Express as I use Outlook for e-mail
and installed Thunderbird for newsgroups.

Now whenever I open Thunderbird I get the following mesage:

thunderbird.exe has encountered a problem and needs to be closed,
followed by the MS Error report box.

Uninstalling Thunderbird, cleaning the registry, & reinstalling brings
up the ssame message.

Hence my request for another news reader recommendation.

Henry

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:17:00 +0100, gordon
<gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Henry wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a simple to use newsreader please? Outlook
>> Express doesn't work on my pc despite all my efforts to repair it so I
>> installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This now doesn't work either.
>> I'm posting this using Agent but don't really like it. So any ideas
>> would be very welcome.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Henry
>>

>I suggest you might do a THOROUGH clean of your machine with Spybot,
>Adaware and a good updated AV scanner.
>
>What EXACTLY do you mean "Thunderbird won't work now either"? What do
>you mean by "won't work"?

Henry,

Go here and go through all the troubleshooting steps.

When OE crashes or won't start
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ngave1l38b012r933ns3nkm304ahlas5is@4ax.com,
Henry <henry.stable@btinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you.On Outlook Express I get the following message:
>
> Outlook Express could not be started. The application data was unable
> to create the font cache object. Your computer may be out of memory or
> your disk is full. Contract Microsoft support for further assistance
> (0x8007000E, 127)
>
> Closing that box brings up:
>
> Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be
> initializes. Outlook Express may not be installed.
>
> I gave up trying to repair Outlook Express as I use Outlook for e-mail
> and installed Thunderbird for newsgroups.
>
> Now whenever I open Thunderbird I get the following mesage:
>
> thunderbird.exe has encountered a problem and needs to be closed,
> followed by the MS Error report box.
>
> Uninstalling Thunderbird, cleaning the registry, & reinstalling brings
> up the ssame message.
>
> Hence my request for another news reader recommendation.
>
> Henry
>

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:17:00 +0100, gordon
> <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Henry wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a simple to use newsreader please? Outlook
>>> Express doesn't work on my pc despite all my efforts to repair it so I
>>> installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This now doesn't work either.
>>> I'm posting this using Agent but don't really like it. So any ideas
>>> would be very welcome.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Henry
>>>

>> I suggest you might do a THOROUGH clean of your machine with Spybot,
>> Adaware and a good updated AV scanner.
>>
>> What EXACTLY do you mean "Thunderbird won't work now either"? What do
>> you mean by "won't work"?

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:02:23 -0400, "MAP"
<mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote:

>Henry wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a simple to use newsreader please? Outlook
>> Express doesn't work on my pc despite all my efforts to repair it so I
>> installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This now doesn't work either.
>> I'm posting this using Agent but don't really like it. So any ideas
>> would be very welcome.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Henry
>
>Running the system file checker can fix many problems with OE/IE

>http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Thank you. I tried the link you gave me & ran the registry fixer,
however I still cannot access Outlook Express.

map

Henry wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:02:23 -0400, "MAP"
> <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Henry wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a simple to use newsreader please? Outlook
>>> Express doesn't work on my pc despite all my efforts to repair it
>>> so I installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This now doesn't work
>>> either. I'm posting this using Agent but don't really like it. So
>>> any ideas would be very welcome.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Henry
>>
>> Running the system file checker can fix many problems with OE/IE
>
>> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
>

> Thank you. I tried the link you gave me & ran the registry fixer,
> however I still cannot access Outlook Express.

Maybe something here will help you out?
http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_oe.htm

--
Mike Pawlak

Gordon

"Henry" <henry.stable@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Hence my request for another news reader recommendation.
>
> Henry

And what makes you think that yet another news reader won't go the same way?
There's obviously something wrong with your underlying operating system that
is causing this, hence my recommendation to do a THOROUGH scan with one or
more spyware utilities and an up to date AV program.

Free Agent is pretty good, but you ought to fix Windows first.

Marv

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:23:56 +0000 (UTC), Henry
<henry.stable@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Thank you.On Outlook Express I get the following message:
>
>Outlook Express could not be started. The application data was unable
>to create the font cache object. Your computer may be out of memory or
>your disk is full. Contract Microsoft support for further assistance
>(0x8007000E, 127)
>
>Closing that box brings up:
>
>Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be
>initializes. Outlook Express may not be installed.
>
>I gave up trying to repair Outlook Express as I use Outlook for e-mail
>and installed Thunderbird for newsgroups.
>
>Now whenever I open Thunderbird I get the following mesage:
>
>thunderbird.exe has encountered a problem and needs to be closed,
>followed by the MS Error report box.
>
>Uninstalling Thunderbird, cleaning the registry, & reinstalling brings
>up the ssame message.
>
>Hence my request for another news reader recommendation.
>
>Henry
>

>On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:17:00 +0100, gordon
><gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Henry wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a simple to use newsreader please? Outlook
>>> Express doesn't work on my pc despite all my efforts to repair it so I
>>> installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This now doesn't work either.
>>> I'm posting this using Agent but don't really like it. So any ideas
>>> would be very welcome.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Henry
>>>

>>I suggest you might do a THOROUGH clean of your machine with Spybot,
>>Adaware and a good updated AV scanner.
>>
>>What EXACTLY do you mean "Thunderbird won't work now either"? What do
>>you mean by "won't work"?

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:04:14 +0100, "Gordon"
<gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invslid> wrote:

>"Henry" <henry.stable@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hence my request for another news reader recommendation.
>>
>> Henry
>
>And what makes you think that yet another news reader won't go the same way?
>There's obviously something wrong with your underlying operating system that
>is causing this, hence my recommendation to do a THOROUGH scan with one or
>more spyware utilities and an up to date AV program.

Thank you. What you say does make sence. Before posting I had
already run AdAware & Spybot which did find several items for
deletion. I also use AVG Pro for which I always download the latest
definitions.

It's not that I don't want to find out what is ailing my pc, however
as it did all of the things I needed before I lost the use of
Thunderbird I was happy (albeit I couldn't use OE) & if I can find a
newsreader I like I will be happy again. I do realise that one day
I'll need to get to the root cause which I suspect is my son :)

Henry

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:22:30 -0400, "MAP"
<mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote:

>Henry wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:02:23 -0400, "MAP"
>> <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Running the system file checker can fix many problems with OE/IE
>>
>>> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
>>

>> Thank you. I tried the link you gave me & ran the registry fixer,
>> however I still cannot access Outlook Express.
>
>Maybe something here will help you out?
>http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_oe.htm

Thank you. I've often used Kellys-korner before so I think I visit
there again

Gordon

Henry wrote:
> I'll need to get to the root cause which I suspect is my son :)

Ah. Tell me about it! (And not just computing, either!)

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Henry wrote:
> Hello
>
> Can anyone recommend a simple to use newsreader please? Outlook
> Express doesn't work on my pc despite all my efforts to repair it so I
> installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This now doesn't work either.
> I'm posting this using Agent but don't really like it. So any ideas
> would be very welcome.
>
> TIA
>
> Henry

Well I don't know what finally did it but I have Thunderbird back.

I used system restore to get me back to a time when it worked, although
it still didn't function

Having checked for spyware & malware I did wonder whether my firewall
was causing problems so I downloaded a fresh copy from ZoneLabs. I also
ran Scannow sfc.

I then downloaded a fresh copy from Mozilla & hey presto alls well.

I couldn't have done it without all the help from this ng so thank you
all very much.

Having looked in my Outlook Express folder I see that it is empty so I
don't know how I did that. However I don't need it as I'll use Outlook
& Thunderbird. When Microsoft finish testing MSIE 7 then I'll download
it & hopefully get OE back.

regards

Henry

Henry wrote:
> ...When Microsoft finish testing MSIE 7 then I'll download
> it & hopefully get OE back.

IE7 will not include a new version of OE, Henry.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

PA Bear wrote:
> Henry wrote:
>
>> ...When Microsoft finish testing MSIE 7 then I'll download
>> it & hopefully get OE back.
>

> IE7 will not include a new version of OE, Henry.
that's a shame.