Crysis any better on quad cores?

xmrb2003x

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Does Crysis still not benefit from quad cores, or have they patched it yet to improve it? I don't see the point of a quad-core if it doesn't benefit games like Crysis which need it the most. Bring on DX11/Win 7 I say if games are gonna take better advantage of multi-cores.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
so what gpu did they use to create and test crysis?260 and over were not out yet,i think it just sepends on the memory too,my 9600 can support nice graphics but i cant play with 2 gigs@800,for example,i think we have the cpu technology enough to run it.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I run Crysis on my machine smoothly (average frames around 28fps on gamer settings in Warhead, High settings in Original with 0xAA). Trouble with games like this are the encoding, IMO. Crysis Warhead plays a bit more smooth than the original, because they realized it wasn't coded quite right for the market they were selling it to (even enthusiasts with extremely high end machines were not seeing the framerates they should have) so they revamped it. Hopefully Crysis 2 addresses the problem a little better..

Core2duo E8400 @ 4.05ghz
4 Gigs DDR3 1600mhz
9800GTX+

Click my sig for more info if you want it..

I have a gaming pc at work and im gonna have to be honest here, I get smoother gameplay playing on a quad (i5 750) vs. playing with my dual core x2 550. Both pc's have the same GPU....

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
It is a bit tough to compare system unless you are using as many of the same components as possible in each one. Else it becomes rather irrelevant. I think a better comparison would be something along the lines of a Core2 Quad and a Core2 Duo..actually, here is a link to a gaming performance test based on CPU's. http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/9

The link itself takes you to page 9 of 11 (the page where they review Crysis). You will see that the E8400 (dual core) performs as well as all of the other quad cores (aside from the Core2 Quad Extreme). This is one of the main reasons I went with the E8400 for my build, it performs excellent in gaming and is also easily overclocked--I'm running mine at 4.05ghz 1.3v

The review is over a year old, but is very helpful because the test system is not subjective--meaning they use the same exact components whenever possible, simply switching the CPU. Obviously for the AMD side, they had to swap more than just the CPU, but you get the idea.

It is a very well written article about the scaling of CPU's in terms of game performance, and you will see that there is very little benefit to a quad core in most gaming applications.

Bare in mind, this article was put out before the i5 was even a rumor, so do not expect to see results comparing the Core2 line to the Core i line.

yea makes perfect sense.... I need to find out why I am gettin a lag spikes every now n then using my x2 550. I have all the settings on GAMER (Warhead) and no xAA whatsoever (16x10 res). Is this normal for such a system? The i5 750 rig is just so much smoother for some reason....

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
What type of lag spikes are ya gettin?

A sudden drop in FPS? A quick freeze and go?

What kind of temps is your GPU hitting when this happens? Same with CPU?

Are you running latest drivers for GPU?

Just ocassional freezing, mostly when I am blowing everything up. Temps overall are not an issue, GPU @ 55c max and CPU never hits 50c. Not running the latest drivers though. Last time I installed the latest drivers I was getting some artifacting so I rolled back.

The lag I get is like split second kind, nothing major just kind of annoying... It does not happen very often either.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I would try new drivers again--don't be superstitious :) It may have been a bug that has been fixed now. Are you overclocking your GPU at all? If you are, try backing it down a bit--if not give it a try...bump your core clock like 10-25 mhz just to see if it gives you that extra advantage! guru3d.com has a OC tool called rivatuner, which judging by your name I would assume you've heard of it ;)

Hope this helps

guess I will try both when I get home. Funny thing is that I get around 35-45 frames with the above settings but still get that ocasional lag every once in a while... Gonna play with the GPU a bit and see if that fixes anything....

Anyways thx for the info =)