A7N8X Deluxe no sound from front speakers

SonicSnake

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Hi ppl,

I've built 2 PCs using A7N8X deluxe and both have this problem!

At first there was sound, sound from the POST self test announcer thingie... which is great. But then after I installed Windows (XP on one, 2000 on the other), no more sound!! I updated to the latest nForce drivers but still, no sound.

I did the speakers test thing and found that rear speakers are working, but not the front. (I'm only using a 2 speakers set up BTW, so I know my speakers r fine, just the front speakers plug is not giving any sound.)

Anyone else know of this problem? Please help!

Thanx!

SonicSnake

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Common... no one?? I really need help on this... pleazzzzz....

I suddenly remember, I had unpluged 2 jumpers from the headers for front headphones/mic. I tested the front headphones and it works, later I unpluged it. Can someone check to see if I NEED to plug those 2 jumpers back in? If yes, how? :p I forgot where they were plugged...

But anyways, the other box I didn't unplug anything, but still there's no sound. On both systems I'm using Altec Lansing 2 channel speakers. Do you think I should try updating the nForce drivers from Asus's website instead? (I used the one on Nvidia's site, but they're unified drivers right?... They should be the same.)

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Read the manual, it should tell you where to plug those jumpers back, they are needed for the rear audio jack to function correctly.
If you have install nVidia reference driver (especially audio driver) DO NOT install Asus audio driver. Asus tweaked their own audio driver, so if you have reference driver install, Asus audio driver will mess up your audio driver and problem will surfaced.
BTW, you mean you have no sound from just the POST reporter or no sound at all?

Me fail English? That's Unpossible!
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

SonicSnake

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
No sound at all from front speakers output jack.

Just checked the manual, Chapter 2, Sec. 2.8 Connectors, 23) FPAudio1, p. 33 (PDF thumbnails 47). It only shows the pin names... it doesn't tell you anything about 2 jumpers that needs to be plugged if not using front panel audio. The pins are like this:

1 2 3 _ 4
5 6 7 8 9

1 AGND
2 +5VA
3 BLINE_OUT_R
4 BLINE_OUT_L
5 MIC2
6 MICPWR
7 Line out_R
8 NC
9 Line out_L

I guess plugging in 3-7 and 4-9 makes sense... can anyone confirm where the original jumpers were plugged? Thanks!