Share a folder

August 2, 2005 11:32:04 PM

I jsut want to share a folder on the network. On windows 2k you used to be
able to right click on the folder, and share it. Now it says I have to move
the folder to the shared documents folder. I don't want it moved there,
becase then it isn't located where I want it to be located. How can I
easily share this folder without having to move it?

thanks.

More about : share folder

August 2, 2005 11:32:05 PM

et wrote:

> I jsut want to share a folder on the network. On windows 2k you used
> to be
> able to right click on the folder, and share it. Now it says I have
> to move
> the folder to the shared documents folder. I don't want it moved
> there,
> becase then it isn't located where I want it to be located. How can I
> easily share this folder without having to move it?
>
> thanks.

I assume from the information implied in your post that you have XP Home
Edition. Home restricts sharing users' Home folder (My Documents) and
the Program Files folder. You can share out subdirectories of Program
Files, however; there is rarely a need to share out anything there.

Where is the folder you are trying to share? If it is in your My
Documents folder, you will need to move it to the Shared Documents
folder or to the root of the drive.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Turn off Simple File Sharing
Go into Control Panel and Open Folder Options
On the View tab scroll to the bottom and uncheck "Use simple folder sharing"

--
Regards
Mark Dormer

!