"Phew"

That's what it sounds like - "Phew", sort-of like the last syllable in
''Peppi-le-Pue".

I recently upgraded from W 98 to WIN XP.
Hardware-wise, my computer handles it great (actually, software-wise also).

Every so often, I heard a funny sound something like "phew". It seemed to come
from the CPU (the little speaker that beeps on boot-up and also when using a
modem to dial).
To make sure, I turned off the speakers on my desk.
Then I realized it happened some time after booting up the computer. I started
timing it: the first few times it happened ten minutes after boot-up; then a
few times five minutes after boot-up.
Then, I just left the desk-top sitting there (didn't load any programs).
Again, after 5 minutes "phew".

If someone else told me this was happening to her/him, I would probably shake my
head a few times. However, believe me, it _is_ happening.

Any ideas? (Please don't tell me I'm certifiable - also I haven't been smoking
(anything) or drinking).

Thanks!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
10 answers Last reply
More about phew

    I suggest you look into the hardware group at microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

    Mention to them if you have recently been inside the pc case, if you have made recent hardware changes.
    How old this pc & processor are.
    If you are savvy .... open up the case so that you can visually seen what happens when it is powered up.
    Make sure all the fans are running, and that pc is not overheating.
    Good luck.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:13:48 -0400, John <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote:

    >That's what it sounds like - "Phew", sort-of like the last syllable in
    >''Peppi-le-Pue".

    In addition to the information provided in my original post, also this:

    I use both the Windows XP firewall, as well as the one provided as part of my
    router.
    I have run Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D (both with the latest definition files).
    There is no indication of any "nasty's" on my computer.

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.

    John,
    If the sound was more a whir, rather than a phew (depending on your hearing :) ).... check to see if you left a CD in its drive.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    I heard/saw something like this once, a very long time ago, when I was doing
    T.V. repair. It turned out to be an electrolytic capacitor that was over
    heating, had split the case and was off gassing. The capacitor went totally
    bad within a couple of hours.

    Look closely at all of the devices on your M/B for any cylindrical objects
    (capacitors/condensers) that look distorted, bulged, split, leaking/oozing
    etc. This was a very common problem with some M/B manufacturers a year or so
    back. They had received faulty capacitors from a certain vender that was not
    using approved materials in their manufacturing process.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > That's what it sounds like - "Phew", sort-of like the last syllable in
    > ''Peppi-le-Pue".
    >
    > I recently upgraded from W 98 to WIN XP.
    > Hardware-wise, my computer handles it great (actually, software-wise
    > also).
    >
    > Every so often, I heard a funny sound something like "phew". It seemed to
    > come
    > from the CPU (the little speaker that beeps on boot-up and also when
    > using a
    > modem to dial).
    > To make sure, I turned off the speakers on my desk.
    > Then I realized it happened some time after booting up the computer. I
    > started
    > timing it: the first few times it happened ten minutes after boot-up;
    > then a
    > few times five minutes after boot-up.
    > Then, I just left the desk-top sitting there (didn't load any programs).
    > Again, after 5 minutes "phew".
    >
    > If someone else told me this was happening to her/him, I would probably
    > shake my
    > head a few times. However, believe me, it _is_ happening.
    >
    > Any ideas? (Please don't tell me I'm certifiable - also I haven't been
    > smoking
    > (anything) or drinking).
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.

    John, do you have a Seagate HD? I have noticed these drives sometimes make that 'phew' noise under certain 'access' conditions. It's
    faint, but there!

    Vic
    ___
    "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message news:2d50f1limi2vjr6mpsgmbfjeojs073nl35@4ax.com...
    > That's what it sounds like - "Phew", sort-of like the last syllable in
    > ''Peppi-le-Pue".
    >
    > I recently upgraded from W 98 to WIN XP.
    > Hardware-wise, my computer handles it great (actually, software-wise also).
    >
    > Every so often, I heard a funny sound something like "phew". It seemed to come
    > from the CPU (the little speaker that beeps on boot-up and also when using a
    > modem to dial).
    > To make sure, I turned off the speakers on my desk.
    > Then I realized it happened some time after booting up the computer. I started
    > timing it: the first few times it happened ten minutes after boot-up; then a
    > few times five minutes after boot-up.
    > Then, I just left the desk-top sitting there (didn't load any programs).
    > Again, after 5 minutes "phew".
    >
    > If someone else told me this was happening to her/him, I would probably shake my
    > head a few times. However, believe me, it _is_ happening.
    >
    > Any ideas? (Please don't tell me I'm certifiable - also I haven't been smoking
    > (anything) or drinking).
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.

    My computer does something similar. The sound is very faint, almost as if
    coming from outdoors. I thought it was a kids' taunting sound (Nyaaah -
    nyaaah) until I realised it was coming from my computer. It occurs every few
    minutes whether the computer is doing any active tasks or not and does not
    seem to be coming from the speaker.

    I suppose it's just some occasional faint mechanical sound from the power
    supply or the HDD or something. I don't worry about it, although I am a bit
    miffed to hear my computer apparently 'sneering' at me!

    John

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:51:52 -0400, "Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote:

    >John, do you have a Seagate HD? I have noticed these drives sometimes make that 'phew' noise under certain 'access' conditions. It's
    >faint, but there!
    >
    >Vic

    I have read the above suggestions, but have not yet had the time to open up the
    case.
    A few answers to above questions:

    Vic: My HD's are Maxtor 6E040L0 (original) and WDC WD200EB-00CSF0 (Western
    Digital, added by myself).

    And Maurice: the sound is not more a whir, rather than a phew (in spite of my
    "three score and ten" tears of age, my hearing is one of the best parts of me .
    .. )
    Also, I have looked for the group "microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware" but did
    not see it.
    Perhaps, my ISP (Bell Sympatico) does not carry it? Will look into that . . .

    Just an observation: This morning when I booted up (after there was no power to
    the computer for 9 or 10 hours, it took just over 20 minutes for the sound to be
    heard. Could it in fact be something heating up?

    Also: This started happening only after I upgraded from W 98 to WIN XP.
    Could the different software affect the hardware?

    Later on today, I'll take the cover of the box, and take a look for any
    overheated parts.
    (I spent my career working for the telephone company (Bell Canada) and have some
    idea what to look for in electronics and circuit boards.)

    Thanks for all the suggestions!

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.

    set up the news account
    msnews.microsoft.com

    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:51:52 -0400, "Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > >John, do you have a Seagate HD? I have noticed these drives sometimes
    make that 'phew' noise under certain 'access' conditions. It's
    > >faint, but there!
    > >
    > >Vic
    >
    > I have read the above suggestions, but have not yet had the time to open
    up the
    > case.
    > A few answers to above questions:
    >
    > Vic: My HD's are Maxtor 6E040L0 (original) and WDC WD200EB-00CSF0
    (Western
    > Digital, added by myself).
    >
    > And Maurice: the sound is not more a whir, rather than a phew (in spite
    of my
    > "three score and ten" tears of age, my hearing is one of the best parts
    of me .
    > . )
    > Also, I have looked for the group "microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware"
    but did
    > not see it.
    > Perhaps, my ISP (Bell Sympatico) does not carry it? Will look into that .
    .. .

    > Just an observation: This morning when I booted up (after there was no
    power to
    > the computer for 9 or 10 hours, it took just over 20 minutes for the sound
    to be
    > heard. Could it in fact be something heating up?
    >
    > Also: This started happening only after I upgraded from W 98 to WIN XP.
    > Could the different software affect the hardware?
    >
    > Later on today, I'll take the cover of the box, and take a look for any
    > overheated parts.
    > (I spent my career working for the telephone company (Bell Canada) and
    have some
    > idea what to look for in electronics and circuit boards.)
    >
    > Thanks for all the suggestions!
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:22:34 +0100, "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote:
    Conclusion:

    By George, I think I've got it!

    Before I totally switched to Win XP, I had my computer configured for dual boot,
    using "BootNG".

    I has W98 on the "C" partition of HD 0 (zero) and Win XP on the "E" partition.

    I then upgraded W98 on "C" to Win XP (to keep all my programs) and deleted Win
    XP from "E".

    BootNG has six ".snd" files, one to be selected when the computer boots from
    BootNG.
    I choose 3.snd.

    Further checking indicates that the "phew" sound is in fact the 6.snd file.
    Why this file would "play" after 5 or 20 minutes is beyond me at this time, but
    it probably has to do with the fact that some file(s) which existed on "E" with
    the first Win XP are not there now.

    Oh well, I had the box open - smelled absolutely nothing burning, and removed
    about a pound (or so) of accumulated dust from the insides and the fans.

    I probably should look into totally removing BootNG...... some day.

    Thanks for all the suggestions - sorry to have sent you all on a wild goose
    chase!

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.

    Nahhh gang.., thta sound comes from the XP sounds when one has a pop up
    blocker.., sometime in the past a pop up blocker was down loaded and a sound
    was picked.., sometimes a ding, or bell.., and when the sound is turn down
    low the 'shooting' sound or noise sounds like "phew.."

Windows XP