Scott

I'm partitioning an external hard drive that's connected to my Win XP
machine. I set an 80GB partition for XP (NTFS). When I tried to allocate
the rest of the drive as a FAT32 partition (for my Win98 machines), FAT32
was not an option, until I reduced the partition size to 20 GB. I'm using
XP's Disk Management. Is there a maximum limitation of FAT32 partition
size?

Thanks!
Scott

In news:42F118E9.EC8DEED6@uslink.net,
Scott <golden@uslink.net> typed:

> I'm partitioning an external hard drive that's connected to my
> Win XP
> machine. I set an 80GB partition for XP (NTFS). When I tried
> allocate the rest of the drive as a FAT32 partition (for my
> Win98
> machines), FAT32 was not an option, until I reduced the
> partition
> size to 20 GB. I'm using XP's Disk Management. Is there a
> maximum
> limitation of FAT32 partition size?

Not exactly. But XP does have a limit on how large a FAT32
partition it can *create*. It's 32GB.

However it has no problem *using* a larger FAT32 partition if
created externally.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Scott

Ken Blake wrote:

> In news:42F118E9.EC8DEED6@uslink.net,
> Scott <golden@uslink.net> typed:
>
> > I'm partitioning an external hard drive that's connected to my
> > Win XP
> > machine. I set an 80GB partition for XP (NTFS). When I tried
> > allocate the rest of the drive as a FAT32 partition (for my
> > Win98
> > machines), FAT32 was not an option, until I reduced the
> > partition
> > size to 20 GB. I'm using XP's Disk Management. Is there a
> > maximum
> > limitation of FAT32 partition size?
>
> Not exactly. But XP does have a limit on how large a FAT32
> partition it can *create*. It's 32GB.
>
> However it has no problem *using* a larger FAT32 partition if
> created externally.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken,

OK, so I went to a Win98 machine, and using a bootdisk, booted to the
A Drive. Then I hit FDISK. The idea was to format an additional partition
with FAT32. However, even with me external drive turned on and connected
(yes, the USB drivers have been installed), all FDISK could see was the
primary C drive and not the external drive. Is there another way to format
an external drive under Win98? In Windows, I can't see the drive, since
it hasn't been formatted yet.

Thanks!
Scott

In news:42F1363F.38DEA29F@uslink.net,
Scott <golden@uslink.net> typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> In news:42F118E9.EC8DEED6@uslink.net,
>> Scott <golden@uslink.net> typed:
>>
>>> I'm partitioning an external hard drive that's connected to
>>> my
>>> Win XP
>>> machine. I set an 80GB partition for XP (NTFS). When I tried
>>> allocate the rest of the drive as a FAT32 partition (for my
>>> Win98
>>> machines), FAT32 was not an option, until I reduced the
>>> partition
>>> size to 20 GB. I'm using XP's Disk Management. Is there a
>>> maximum
>>> limitation of FAT32 partition size?
>>
>> Not exactly. But XP does have a limit on how large a FAT32
>> partition it can *create*. It's 32GB.
>>
>> However it has no problem *using* a larger FAT32 partition if
>> created externally.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
> Ken,
>
> OK, so I went to a Win98 machine, and using a bootdisk, booted
> to the
> A Drive. Then I hit FDISK. The idea was to format an
> additional
> partition with FAT32. However, even with me external drive
> turned on
> and connected (yes, the USB drivers have been installed), all
> FDISK
> could see was the primary C drive and not the external drive.
> Is
> there another way to format an external drive under Win98? In
> Windows, I can't see the drive, since it hasn't been formatted
> yet.

Is this a USB drive? Sorry, I don't know anything about fdisking
USB drives in Windows 98, or even whether it's possible. You
might need to use dsomething like Partition Magic. Perhaps
someone else here has an answer for you.

Scott wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
> >
> > In news:42F118E9.EC8DEED6@uslink.net,
> > Scott <golden@uslink.net> typed:
> >
> > > I'm partitioning an external hard drive that's connected to my
> > > Win XP
> > > machine. I set an 80GB partition for XP (NTFS). When I tried
> > > allocate the rest of the drive as a FAT32 partition (for my
> > > Win98
> > > machines), FAT32 was not an option, until I reduced the
> > > partition
> > > size to 20 GB. I'm using XP's Disk Management. Is there a
> > > maximum
> > > limitation of FAT32 partition size?
> >
> > Not exactly. But XP does have a limit on how large a FAT32
> > partition it can *create*. It's 32GB.
> >
> > However it has no problem *using* a larger FAT32 partition if
> > created externally.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> > Please reply to the newsgroup
>
> Ken,
>
> OK, so I went to a Win98 machine, and using a bootdisk, booted to the
> A Drive. Then I hit FDISK. The idea was to format an additional partition
> with FAT32. However, even with me external drive turned on and connected
> (yes, the USB drivers have been installed), all FDISK could see was the
> primary C drive and not the external drive. Is there another way to format
> an external drive under Win98? In Windows, I can't see the drive, since
> it hasn't been formatted yet.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Remove the drive from its enclosure and connect it to the secondary IDE
bus on your W98 machine then try to FDISK the unallocated space.

Scott, if you do it that way I think it's a 32G limit for FAT32.
Otherwise, if you use fdisk the FAT32 Partitions can be greater ( 2
terabytes ) http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> I'm partitioning an external hard drive that's connected to my Win XP
> machine. I set an 80GB partition for XP (NTFS). When I tried to allocate
> the rest of the drive as a FAT32 partition (for my Win98 machines), FAT32
> was not an option, until I reduced the partition size to 20 GB. I'm using
> XP's Disk Management. Is there a maximum limitation of FAT32 partition
> size?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

Ken Blake wrote:

> In news:42F1363F.38DEA29F@uslink.net,
> Scott <golden@uslink.net> typed:
>
> > Ken Blake wrote:
> >>
> >> In news:42F118E9.EC8DEED6@uslink.net,
> >> Scott <golden@uslink.net> typed:

> >> Not exactly. But XP does have a limit on how large a FAT32
> >> partition it can *create*. It's 32GB.
> >>
> >> However it has no problem *using* a larger FAT32 partition if
> >> created externally.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup
> >
> > Ken,
> >
> > OK, so I went to a Win98 machine, and using a bootdisk, booted
> > to the
> > A Drive. Then I hit FDISK. The idea was to format an
> > additional
> > partition with FAT32. However, even with me external drive
> > turned on
> > and connected (yes, the USB drivers have been installed), all
> > FDISK
> > could see was the primary C drive and not the external drive.
> > Is
> > there another way to format an external drive under Win98? In
> > Windows, I can't see the drive, since it hasn't been formatted
> > yet.
>
> Is this a USB drive? Sorry, I don't know anything about fdisking
> USB drives in Windows 98, or even whether it's possible. You
> might need to use dsomething like Partition Magic. Perhaps
> someone else here has an answer for you.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Yes, it's a USB drive. Apparently, a USB can't be detected while running
FDISK in DOS mode. So, it looks like I'll just set up 32 GB partitions for
the various Win98 drive image backups.

Scott

Scott

GreenieLeBrun wrote:

> Scott wrote:
> > Ken Blake wrote:
> > >
> > > In news:42F118E9.EC8DEED6@uslink.net,
> > > Scott <golden@uslink.net> typed:

> > > Not exactly. But XP does have a limit on how large a FAT32
> > > partition it can *create*. It's 32GB.
> > >
> > > However it has no problem *using* a larger FAT32 partition if
> > > created externally.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> > > Please reply to the newsgroup
> >
> > Ken,
> >
> > OK, so I went to a Win98 machine, and using a bootdisk, booted to the
> > A Drive. Then I hit FDISK. The idea was to format an additional partition
> > with FAT32. However, even with me external drive turned on and connected
> > (yes, the USB drivers have been installed), all FDISK could see was the
> > primary C drive and not the external drive. Is there another way to format
> > an external drive under Win98? In Windows, I can't see the drive, since
> > it hasn't been formatted yet.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott
>
> Remove the drive from its enclosure and connect it to the secondary IDE
> bus on your W98 machine then try to FDISK the unallocated space.

Greenie,

Yes, I guess I could to that, but I'd rather not open the external drive. I'll just
This also will work.

Scott

Scott wrote:
> I'm partitioning an external hard drive that's connected to my Win XP
> machine. I set an 80GB partition for XP (NTFS). When I tried to
> allocate the rest of the drive as a FAT32 partition (for my Win98
> machines), FAT32 was not an option, until I reduced the partition
> size to 20 GB. I'm using XP's Disk Management. Is there a maximum
> limitation of FAT32 partition size?

Format larger than 32GB FAT32 within Windows XP with this utility:
http://www.mager.org/mkdosfs/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP