Status
Not open for further replies.

c_joe

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hey, Looking for an AMD x2 processor. Looking for something inexpensive to use to test a board. If anybody is still holding on to one let me know.

Thanks.

c_joe

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Unfortunately, It only supports AM2. It is my WHS. So I would like to get it up until I research my next rig. I am trying Ebay as well, but with a used processor, who knows.

skaz

Distinguished
I have a AMD Athlon LE-1640 AM2 CPU I used for the same thing. I have a couple more boards to test first though. If your interested still, shoot me a PM.

Are there any small computer repair shops in the area you live ?? They don't advertise them but most usually have a small supply of older chips they have pulled from systems they have upgraded for people that they normally sell fairly cheap (figure they pull them from systems they upgrade so got them free and the sale is pure profit for them so you can usually haggle with them for a decent price).

If Speed doesn't matter I just replaced a Sempron 3600+ AM2 chip in my 12 YO neices system with an Athlon 64 X2 chip (The system is just a web browser\flash game machine that we picked up refurbished for $160 when she was 7 -Found the Athlon 64 X2 chip for only $15 at a small mom and pop repair shop and was a decent upgrade for her for the time being - So the old Sempron chip is just gonna sit around here. It's not an X2 but for use as a test chip it might serve the purpose -- If you could use it PM me an address and I'll put it in the mail to you.

c_joe

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for all your help and generosity. I live in Boston and called some places and noone had any in stock suprisingly. I'll try a couple more places near my office. But I might take you up on your offer as a loaner to test it before buying another one. Unfortunately more days without my data.

Well if you have an AM3 CPU, go ahead and try it in there. I've got an AM3 running in an old AM2 board just fine. It doesn't "officially" support the CPU because PNY stopped making mobos and never posted an updated bios or CPU support list. However, the CPU works just the same.

the_creed4

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hey buddy, i live in gardner mass, and i have an am2 cpu i am currently using. But i am willing to sell it if the price is right, shipping shouldn't be a problem.

The cpu is an AMD athlon 64 x2 4600+

Status
Not open for further replies.