HP LJ III Error Message: 50 Service

My old trusty HP LJ III is giving me an error message: 50 Service.

The manual says: "The printer identified an internal service error. If any
one of these errors appear, turn the printer OFF and then back ON. If the
error continues, call your HP Service Representative. NOTE: To clear the 50
SERVICE error, the printer must be OFF for at least 10 minutes."

I followed these procedures but the error remains. I'm sure I cannot get
service from HP on an HP LJ III. Does anyone know what this error (50
SERVICE) means? Is it time to retire this old printer?

Thanks, Chaim (New York City)

The 50 service error indicates that either the fuser or the fuser power supply
has bitten the dust. If the printer is still feeding paper reliably, it might
be worth fixing. Usually this is done in pairs. Removing the fuser requires
removing 4 screws. I forget how hard the fuser power supply is, but it's only a
few more screws after CAREFULLY removing the plastic skin.

If you can get the parts for maybe $25 and don't mind the hour or so (max) of
work, I'd say it's worth doing. Otherwise, retire the printer and move on to
newer technology.

I think that the LaserJet 4 and 5 (not 4p and 4p and 4L and 5L) are well made
durable successors to the LJ III. They occupy less space and are not made of
the chintzly plastic parts like most of the new laser printers sold via mass
market store like Staples, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc... Ben Myers

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:00:39 GMT, "ggddaaee" <ccaron@earthlink.net> wrote:

>My old trusty HP LJ III is giving me an error message: 50 Service.
>
>The manual says: "The printer identified an internal service error. If any
>one of these errors appear, turn the printer OFF and then back ON. If the
>error continues, call your HP Service Representative. NOTE: To clear the 50
>SERVICE error, the printer must be OFF for at least 10 minutes."
>
>I followed these procedures but the error remains. I'm sure I cannot get
>service from HP on an HP LJ III. Does anyone know what this error (50
>SERVICE) means? Is it time to retire this old printer?
>
>Thanks, Chaim (New York City)

I have had a LaserJet IIIP for years and the only time I get a 50
service code is when the fuser quartz heater lamp burns out. This
lamp is easy to to see during warm up if it is working. If you set
the paper path to output the page onto the output tray, above the
input tray, and look at the slot where the page comes out on the left
side you can see the light from the lamp. You can check the lamp for
continuity with an ohm meter. I buy mine from www.printerworks.com

Van Gardner

"ggddaaee" <ccaron@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<rj29d.6864$Vm1.458@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> My old trusty HP LJ III is giving me an error message: 50 Service.
>
> The manual says: "The printer identified an internal service error. If any
> one of these errors appear, turn the printer OFF and then back ON. If the
> error continues, call your HP Service Representative. NOTE: To clear the 50
> SERVICE error, the printer must be OFF for at least 10 minutes."
>
> I followed these procedures but the error remains. I'm sure I cannot get
> service from HP on an HP LJ III. Does anyone know what this error (50
> SERVICE) means? Is it time to retire this old printer?
>
> Thanks, Chaim (New York City)

Hi Van,
How difficult is it to replace the bulb? About how much time does it take
for someone who knows what he's doing?
Thanks

"Van Gardner" <vangard@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I have had a LaserJet IIIP for years and the only time I get a 50
> service code is when the fuser quartz heater lamp burns out. This
> lamp is easy to to see during warm up if it is working. If you set
> the paper path to output the page onto the output tray, above the
> input tray, and look at the slot where the page comes out on the left
> side you can see the light from the lamp. You can check the lamp for
> continuity with an ohm meter. I buy mine from www.printerworks.com
>
> Van Gardner
>

> "ggddaaee" <ccaron@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > My old trusty HP LJ III is giving me an error message: 50 Service.
> >
> > The manual says: "The printer identified an internal service error. If
any
> > one of these errors appear, turn the printer OFF and then back ON. If
the
> > error continues, call your HP Service Representative. NOTE: To clear
the 50
> > SERVICE error, the printer must be OFF for at least 10 minutes."
> >
> > I followed these procedures but the error remains. I'm sure I cannot
get
> > service from HP on an HP LJ III. Does anyone know what this error (50
> > SERVICE) means? Is it time to retire this old printer?
> >
> > Thanks, Chaim (New York City)

TRENDING THREADS