Would Bioware have done a better job/ fallout series

SlapHappyJesus

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
We have all heard about Fallout 3 and how great it is. My question is, do you think that Bioware would have done a better job at continuing the series than Bethesda? Fallout 3, as it is, is a great game. I love it, but looking back I don't think that it was the greatest progression of the series. The game has a great open world feel - something that Bethesda is known for getting right, but at the same time they really muddled up the SPECIAL system from the previous games, making skill progression feel much less needed than before. They have a lot of memorable characters, just like the originals, but when developing the game they took certain liberties with the lore of the Fallout universe, making certain story elements of the original games contradict that of the new game. Fallout 3 is definately one of the best games I played in a long while, they really made this a fun game, at the same time, with the purchase of the series, they felt they could make whatever changes they wanted to the series, and I just think they took that freedom a little too far, and bothered some of the long time series fans. I feel Bioware would have done a better job with the series because they are good with building upon pre-existing lore. They are just as quality of developers as Bethesda, and know how to create a great story. Also, they are really close with developers Obsidian, built of many of the developers from the now debunk Balck Isle studios, the company that developed the original fallout games. I'm sure that Obsidian would have wanted to help them through the development of the game, and the result would have fit in a little bit better with the rest of the games of the series.
On a side note, it has long been announced that Obsidian will be developing the next game in the series, so depending on how big a role Bethesda will have with the game, Fallout:New Reno, might bring back the feel of the originals.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Based on me expiriences with The Elderscrolls 3/4 and KOTOR 1&2 neither comany would be perfect. Bio Ware excells in player interface and overall experiance, Bethesda can make stuff pretty, I mean Crytek comperable pretty (except the notably jerky animation), and like you said, the are great at "open world play." Hence, 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I reccomend a joint venture for ES V, and FA IV. But god(s) forbid we work together.

SlapHappyJesus

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Yeah, with Bioware's ability to weave stories and believable characters, and Bethesda's strength in creating game worlds, the two companies could probably make something really incredible if they ever decided to work together, which is very unlikely.