to much choice

G

I'm planning on building my first pc, but i already ran into my first problem: the motherboard. There is to much to chose from and it gets more difficult because i don't know sh*t about mobo's. My question is: where should i look at when selecting my mobo and how do i know which chipset is best

endyen

Splendid
First you need to decide on cpu type. For Intel, look at the boards with the intel 865 + 875 chipsets, for Amd look at the nvidia chipsets. The best boards usually come from Asus, Abit, Msi,& Gigabyte. Sometimes you can get ok boards from the rest. Next you have to ask what features you want onboard. Pick any of Sata, sound, video, lan,usb 2, firewire etc. Then you can narrow it down enough to pick by value. Just let us know what way you are thinking, and we'll point out your best bets. A dollar figure also helps.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
In this world, price is king. What do you want to spend. What do you plan on doing with your computer.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

First of all: thanx for your reply.
My figure is about €100-125 so that will be about $90-110, i heard some good things about Abit IS7 478-865PE, Asus P4S8X 478-648 ans Asus P4P800 478-865PE but of course suggestions are welcome. I bet you can explain me what the sATA-RAID is good for