After XP reboot, connection strong no internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 19, 2004 12:29:27 AM

After booting, I cannot ping the router after boot even though the
connection strength from the connection indicator in the system tray
looks good and strong. ipconfig indicates the connection to the router
and the ip addresses are correct. I can ping the ip address for the XP
system, but can not ping the router.

To be able to ping the router (and connect to the internet) I must
manually go to the Belkin Wireless Network Utility, select the network
(there's only one) and push the connect button. After that all is well.
The signal strength remains the same (strong). The NIC is a Belkin
F5D6001 Rev 3. The router is a Belkin f5d6231-4.

I've downloaded the latest drivers for the F5D6001 to no avail. The
router works fine with my other computer (eMac with Airport Extreme).

This seems like it should be some type of XP configuration issue.
However, I've been unable to determine what. Belkin unfortunately has
been of little help, suggesting changing the channel from 11 to 1, which
I did. Is there some XP setup that causes XP to link up to internet at
boot time? Thanks in Advance for an help.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 5:45:38 AM

JazzMan <jazznospam@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in

> After booting, I cannot ping the router after boot even though the
> connection strength from the connection indicator in the system tray
> looks good and strong. ipconfig indicates the connection to the
> router and the ip addresses are correct. I can ping the ip address
> for the XP system, but can not ping the router.
>
> To be able to ping the router (and connect to the internet) I must
> manually go to the Belkin Wireless Network Utility, select the network
> (there's only one) and push the connect button. After that all is
> well. The signal strength remains the same (strong). The NIC is a
> Belkin F5D6001 Rev 3. The router is a Belkin f5d6231-4.
>
> I've downloaded the latest drivers for the F5D6001 to no avail. The
> router works fine with my other computer (eMac with Airport Extreme).
>
> This seems like it should be some type of XP configuration issue.
> However, I've been unable to determine what. Belkin unfortunately has
> been of little help, suggesting changing the channel from 11 to 1,
> which I did. Is there some XP setup that causes XP to link up to
> internet at boot time? Thanks in Advance for an help.

It's the Wireless Zero Configuration Service that may be causing you
grief. Some say there is a setting to make WZCS lock in on your preferred
network. I myself disable WZCS, downloaded and install the driver and
config the NIC with Device Manager. I didn't install the card's utility
to do anything not even show signal strength, which the signal strength
can be shown on the mouse over of the network connection icon in the job
trey, when you go to the LAN NIC Properties on XP and tell it to *Show
Network Connection*.

For me, the XP connection became solid as a rock. I also changed the
channel too. ;-)

Duane :)
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 8:36:11 PM

JazzMan wrote:
> After booting, I cannot ping the router after boot even though the
> connection strength from the connection indicator in the system tray
> looks good and strong. ipconfig indicates the connection to the
> router and the ip addresses are correct. I can ping the ip address
> for the XP system, but can not ping the router.
>
> To be able to ping the router (and connect to the internet) I must
> manually go to the Belkin Wireless Network Utility, select the network
> (there's only one) and push the connect button. After that all is
> well. The signal strength remains the same (strong). The NIC is a
> Belkin F5D6001 Rev 3. The router is a Belkin f5d6231-4.
>
> I've downloaded the latest drivers for the F5D6001 to no avail. The
> router works fine with my other computer (eMac with Airport Extreme).
>
> This seems like it should be some type of XP configuration issue.
> However, I've been unable to determine what. Belkin unfortunately has
> been of little help, suggesting changing the channel from 11 to 1,
> which I did. Is there some XP setup that causes XP to link up to
> internet at boot time? Thanks in Advance for an help.

Open the TCP/IP properties of the connection, General tab, Advanced
properties, TCP/IP filtering properties, Select Enable filtering, then
change Permit Only to Permit All. On some (maybe all) SP2 when using a
personal firewall not recognized by the security center, the filtering
is locked down when disabling the Windows Firewall.