DLL Error Message

August 5, 2005 6:30:11 PM

My 3-year old Win XP Pro desktop has required a reboot a few times when it
booted to a blank screen. Here's the error message:

"The application or DLL C\WINNT\System32\faultrep.dll is not a valid
windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"

What's the procedure for dealing with this error?

Thanks!
Scott

More about : dll error message

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 7:22:43 PM

Run System File Checker

scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
(Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:42F3BE43.FF8EEEEC@uslink.net,
Scott <golden@uslink.net> hunted and pecked:
> My 3-year old Win XP Pro desktop has required a reboot a few times when it
> booted to a blank screen. Here's the error message:
>
> "The application or DLL C\WINNT\System32\faultrep.dll is not a valid
> windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"
>
> What's the procedure for dealing with this error?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
August 6, 2005 12:10:44 AM

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> Run System File Checker
>
> scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
>
> Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
> (Sfc.exe)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:42F3BE43.FF8EEEEC@uslink.net,
> Scott <golden@uslink.net> hunted and pecked:
> > My 3-year old Win XP Pro desktop has required a reboot a few times when it
> > booted to a blank screen. Here's the error message:
> >
> > "The application or DLL C\WINNT\System32\faultrep.dll is not a valid
> > windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"
> >
> > What's the procedure for dealing with this error?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

Wesley,

I ran "sfc /scannow" with the XP CD inserted. It ran through everything (even
though I had to hit Retry quite a few times)...and finally finished. It didn't
indicate that it found any bad files. It just ended the scan with no explanation.
Is that how it's supposed to run?

If so, I'll just wait and see how it goes.

Scott
August 6, 2005 12:22:34 AM

Is SP2 already installed? Check in at Windows Update.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Scott wrote:
> My 3-year old Win XP Pro desktop has required a reboot a few times when it
> booted to a blank screen. Here's the error message:
>
> "The application or DLL C\WINNT\System32\faultrep.dll is not a valid
> windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"
>
> What's the procedure for dealing with this error?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
August 6, 2005 12:22:35 AM

PA Bear wrote:

> Is SP2 already installed? Check in at Windows Update.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> Scott wrote:
> > My 3-year old Win XP Pro desktop has required a reboot a few times when it
> > booted to a blank screen. Here's the error message:
> >
> > "The application or DLL C\WINNT\System32\faultrep.dll is not a valid
> > windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"
> >
> > What's the procedure for dealing with this error?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

PA Bear,

No, I'm not running the SP2 update on this system yet. The main reason is that
I heard you should have the latest video drivers before updating. I tried awhile
back to upgrade my NVIDIA Geo-Force card, but I got a blue screen, so I went back
to the old (2002) driver.

Scott
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:33:34 AM

Scott,

If SFC.EXE did anything it will be in the Event Viewer.

Open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | Click OK |
Click System | Look at any Windows File Protection
entries

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:42F40E14.F611AABC@uslink.net,
Scott <golden@uslink.net> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>>
>> Run System File Checker
>>
>> scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
>> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
>>
>> Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
>> (Sfc.exe)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:42F3BE43.FF8EEEEC@uslink.net,
>> Scott <golden@uslink.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> My 3-year old Win XP Pro desktop has required a reboot a few times when
>>> it booted to a blank screen. Here's the error message:
>>>
>>> "The application or DLL C\WINNT\System32\faultrep.dll is not a valid
>>> windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"
>>>
>>> What's the procedure for dealing with this error?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Scott
>
> Wesley,
>
> I ran "sfc /scannow" with the XP CD inserted. It ran through everything
> (even though I had to hit Retry quite a few times)...and finally
> finished. It didn't indicate that it found any bad files. It just ended
> the scan with no explanation. Is that how it's supposed to run?
>
> If so, I'll just wait and see how it goes.
>
> Scott
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:02:17 AM

Scott wrote:
>> Is SP2 already installed? Check in at Windows Update.
>> --
>> Scott wrote:
>>> My 3-year old Win XP Pro desktop has required a reboot a few times when
>>> it
>>> booted to a blank screen. Here's the error message:
>>>
>>> "The application or DLL C\WINNT\System32\faultrep.dll is not a valid
>>> windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"
>>>
> No, I'm not running the SP2 update on this system yet. The main reason is
> that I heard you should have the latest video drivers before updating. I
> tried awhile back to upgrade my NVIDIA Geo-Force card, but I got a blue
> screen, so I went back to the old (2002) driver.

Q: Do you have another System32 folder at C:\Windows and does it contain
FAULTREP.DLL? If so, what version?

Have you checked for a newer driver update?

WinXP SP2 is fully uninstallable, should you encounter display problems. An
update is available for WinXP SP2 which may address your problem (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887742; this hotfix is offered via
Windows Update now).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
August 6, 2005 3:47:55 AM

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> Scott,
>
> If SFC.EXE did anything it will be in the Event Viewer.
>
> Open the Event Viewer...
> Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | Click OK |
> Click System | Look at any Windows File Protection
> entries
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:42F40E14.F611AABC@uslink.net,
> Scott <golden@uslink.net> hunted and pecked:
> > Wesley Vogel wrote:
> >>
> >> Run System File Checker
> >>
> >> scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
> >> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
> >>
> >> Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
> >> (Sfc.exe)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:42F3BE43.FF8EEEEC@uslink.net,
> >> Scott <golden@uslink.net> hunted and pecked:

> > Wesley,
> >
> > I ran "sfc /scannow" with the XP CD inserted. It ran through everything
> > (even though I had to hit Retry quite a few times)...and finally
> > finished. It didn't indicate that it found any bad files. It just ended
> > the scan with no explanation. Is that how it's supposed to run?
> >
> > If so, I'll just wait and see how it goes.
> >
> > Scott

Wesley,

OK, I checked the Event Viewer, and it only shows that the scan was started nd
then: "Windows File Protection file scan completed successfully". It didn't
show that any files were replaced.

Scott
August 6, 2005 3:52:23 AM

PA Bear wrote:

> Scott wrote:
> >> Is SP2 already installed? Check in at Windows Update.
> >> --

> > No, I'm not running the SP2 update on this system yet. The main reason is
> > that I heard you should have the latest video drivers before updating. I
> > tried awhile back to upgrade my NVIDIA Geo-Force card, but I got a blue
> > screen, so I went back to the old (2002) driver.
>
> Q: Do you have another System32 folder at C:\Windows and does it contain
> FAULTREP.DLL? If so, what version?
>
> Have you checked for a newer driver update?
>
> WinXP SP2 is fully uninstallable, should you encounter display problems. An
> update is available for WinXP SP2 which may address your problem (cf.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887742; this hotfix is offered via
> Windows Update now).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

PA Bear,

There's just one System32 folder at C:\Windows...and it contains FAULTREP.DLL,
Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920). It looks like the original file,
dated Sept 13, 2002.

Scott
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:39:01 PM

Scott wrote:

> > > No, I'm not running the SP2 update on this system yet. The main
> > > reason is that I heard you should have the latest video drivers
> > > before updating. I tried awhile back to upgrade my NVIDIA Geo-Force
> > > card, but I got a blue screen, so I went back to the old (2002)
> > > driver.
> >
> > Q: Do you have another System32 folder at C:\Windows and does it contain
> > FAULTREP.DLL? If so, what version?
> >
> > Have you checked for a newer driver update?
> >
> > WinXP SP2 is fully uninstallable, should you encounter display
> > problems. An update is available for WinXP SP2 which may address your
> > problem (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887742; this hotfix is
> > offered via Windows Update now).
> > --
> There's just one System32 folder at C:\Windows...and it contains
> FAULTREP.DLL, Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920). It looks like
> the original file, dated Sept 13, 2002.

Assuming all your system DLLs reside in C:\Windows\System32, *anything* in
C:\WINNT\System32 should be considered suspect. Does *this* folder contain
anything besides FAULTREP.DLL?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
August 7, 2005 10:10:23 PM

PA Bear wrote:

> > > Q: Do you have another System32 folder at C:\Windows and does it contain
> > > FAULTREP.DLL? If so, what version?
> > >
> > > Have you checked for a newer driver update?
> > >
> > > WinXP SP2 is fully uninstallable, should you encounter display
> > > problems. An update is available for WinXP SP2 which may address your
> > > problem (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887742; this hotfix is
> > > offered via Windows Update now).
> > > --
> > There's just one System32 folder at C:\Windows...and it contains
> > FAULTREP.DLL, Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920). It looks like
> > the original file, dated Sept 13, 2002.
>
> Assuming all your system DLLs reside in C:\Windows\System32, *anything* in
> C:\WINNT\System32 should be considered suspect. Does *this* folder contain
> anything besides FAULTREP.DLL?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

PA Bear,

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. There is no c:\Windows folder on my XP machine.
Gateway renames the Windows folder to WINNT and puts the the "Windows" folder in there.
It's their OEM version.

Scott
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:00:39 AM

Scott wrote:

> > > There's just one System32 folder at C:\Windows...and it contains
> > > FAULTREP.DLL, Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920). It looks
> > > like the original file, dated Sept 13, 2002.
> >
> > Assuming all your system DLLs reside in C:\Windows\System32, *anything*
> > in C:\WINNT\System32 should be considered suspect. Does *this* folder
> > contain anything besides FAULTREP.DLL?
> > --
> PA Bear,
>
> I'm sorry, I should have clarified. There is no c:\Windows folder on my
> XP machine. Gateway renames the Windows folder to WINNT and puts the the
> "Windows" folder in there. It's their OEM version.

<sigh> Then you should be able to extract a valid version from your WinXP CD
(though it would appear that v5.1.2600.1106 is legit for WinXP SP1 so I
suspect another application is causing the problem, probably one you just
installed or updated). Contact Gateway Support for help with this.

Alternatively, installing SP2 will give you a valid version of FAULTREP.DLL,
too.
--
!