System slow - not sure what the problem could be??

luckyclover

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Hi, I'm new to all of this, so please be patient with me....
with that said...

This is my system.....
MoBo = MSI AMD Athlon XP2100+ VIA KT400 Ultra - with onboard sound
FSB set to = 133 with other bios settings default
VideoCard = MSI MS-8894 128mb 8xAGP TI420
HardDrive = Western Digital 80GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA/100
Memory = Corsair CMX512-3200C2 Ultra Performance DDR XMS3200 512mb 400Mhz CL2
OS = Windows 98SE
Case = (I think) Intel ATX 12V

Problem....
System is slow and mouse is stuttering on movement at various times - mostly when loading internet explorer or any other program
- have also recently had problems with system crash - reformatted hard drive via different computer and re-installed windows, also tried to mess with Bios and messed up system - had to reboot with jumper....

Please help, I have tried almost everything... I have a basic knowledge of computers. I'm trying to educate myself and fix it myself!!!! Spent the past three days working on it, with the above results.... HELP!
Could it possibly be my operating system - need to upgrade to XP?
Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated!
LC

luckyclover

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Oh, and I am not necessarily looking to overclock my system, just seems to be hangin up and working really slow for the specs it has.... Thanks! LC

raging_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
have you tried upping the Dram voltage, and if that doesn't work up the cpu voltage to see if it will stabilize your computer, can you tell me what type of Powersupply you have. Oh and Have you tried different types of ram?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Raging_redneck on 09/09/03 05:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

luckyclover

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Raging_redneck,
the Dram voltage? I'm guessing I'd adjust these settings in the bios? If so, is there a certain number I should set these to?
As for type of powersupply... ummm where would I look for that information? I'm REAL new to this, so I applogize for my ignorance..... but if you walk me through it I can figure it out! =)
THANKS! LC

luckyclover

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
oh and I only have one memory card, is that what you mean by trying different ram? I thought that maybe the memory card was bad, but wasn't sure and didn't want to spend the $ without trying other avenues... thanks!

luckyclover

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Ok, so I know now what you are talking about, and I had "played" with that in the bios and my system crashed! If I change the voltage is there anything else I need to change in the bios to make sure it is still stable? I'm not a gamer or anything I simply am an everyday user and for some odd reason my system is slow and stuttering.... But like I said, is there any thing else I need to change in the bios to make a stable environment - and not overclock (too much)... Thanks! LC

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
reformatted hard drive via different computer and re-installed windows
Just formatted it? or installed windows <i>on the other pc</i>? You must install windows on the hardware that'll actually be running it, or you'll end up with plenty of errors.

I assume you have a CD/DVD ROM in there somewhere? In exactly what configuration are the Optical Drive and your HDD? If you've put both on the same ribbon cable, it would <i>seriously</i> affect performance, particularly when loading programs and heavy disk access (just like you describe)

Shouldn't be your OS... I still use Win98 on my AXP system.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

luckyclover

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
ChipDeath,
Formatted twice, once with hard drive hooked up to another system and then once it was running and hooked up to the original system, I formatted again. So that is taken care of...........

Next, I just checked and they are on seperate ribbons. My hard drive is connected via one ribbon and nothing else is connected via that ribbon. And my CDROM and Floppy are connected via a different ribbon. - hope that made sense.

I'm considering buying new memory, just didn't realize it could go bad. Also wondering if my mother board is bad -

Yesterday - had problems installing wireless mouse, printer driver had to be reinstalled because it wouldn't print, monitor went all white (with a weird pattern on it) and I had to turn off and turn on again, and then the computer beeped twice and reported a keyboard error "press F1 to continue". - not a good day.

Thanks for your help!
LC

G

As for type of powersupply... ummm where would I look for that information?
Look at the label that is on your power supply. I would almost put money on it that your problem is either your power supply or your RAM.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
If I were you, I would run <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">memtest86</A> on your RAM first, see if it produces any errors.

Also, you should have at least a good quality 400W PSU, not a generic one.

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad:

Latest posts