Sign in with
Your question

ECS K7S5A incompatibility issue?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Controller
Last response: in Motherboards
September 10, 2003 6:18:57 AM

I've been trying to install a 200gb HD on my system but the Promise ultra100 TX2 controller card just dun seem to work with the system. The bios on the card does not install. i'm wondering if it's a incompatibility issue with the motherboard. is this motherboard PCI 2.1 compliant? I checked the ecs website and cant seem to find anything on it, they havent released any new BIOS so I have the current one. If anyone knows why I can't get the controller card to work please lemme know. TIA!

More about : ecs k7s5a incompatibility issue

September 10, 2003 9:25:56 AM

why not just put the hdd on one of the onboard ide controllers?
September 10, 2003 4:50:49 PM

Well, I'm using WinXP and under the limitation set by winxp any HD over 137 gb won't be detected in the OS. Sure, the mb bios will detect if i connect to the ide slot on the board, if it doesnt then i have a bigger problem than i would imagine =X
Related resources
September 10, 2003 6:02:37 PM

hi ihave run the promise tx2 ultra100 with no problem on a ecs k7s5a i had two 80gb and one 120gb ibm ata100. Have you tried to update the promise bios might work.
September 10, 2003 7:37:34 PM

yes I have flashed the BIOS on the promise card. It did not fix anything. Once i reboot from installing the driver in winxp, the bootup screen then shows that the controller card is detecting....then it says D0 - D03 is not detected and then says that the BIOS did not install because no drives were attached. I even tried another Promise Card with a newer bios revision but nothing worked. So i assume it has to do with the K7S5A. =|
September 10, 2003 9:59:14 PM

well try this, unplugg all other pci cards, only the graphic card and controller card installed and try again, if no luck try a different pci slot some are shared. if no luck make sure that the hard disk is working properly by plugging it to the motherboard all alone or even an other motherboard. when doing all this the harddrive should be alone on the ata100/ata133 cable.
September 11, 2003 12:19:03 AM

well I have tried to connect the HD to the board by itself with one cable onto the motherboard. I have not tried removing all other devices on my PCI slots.

If it helps, I have a Geforce4 Ti4200 in mY AGP slot, a SB Live 5.1 card and a Firewire card. Other than that I have nothing else connected thru the PCI.
September 11, 2003 12:44:21 AM

if i remember right i could not use the pci slot next to the agp slot i had to use the second one and used the first one for something else, but try unplugging sound and fire card and begin with the first slot and move down till it works then plug in the rest
September 11, 2003 4:20:47 AM

I had the same problem while installing windows xp with my PC and my pc is pretty recent. I have a 160gb hd and when i boot/partitioned/format/installed windows xp pro cd (old version) it only showed 137. Then i used a windows xp pro w/SP1 cd i boot/partitioned/format and bam! 160gb shows up. dunno how but i think its the version of windows xp u partition/format it with. also it could be the software ur using to partition or format could be outdated.

SHUTTLE XPC SN45G
nForce2 Ultra 400
Athlon XP 3200+
Corsair PC3200 512MB
Radeon 9600Pro
WD 160GB HD
Toshiba DVD-R<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by marvelii on 09/11/03 00:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 11, 2003 11:41:16 PM

mrcom: I have tried to take out all other PCI device. Started with one slot all the way down to the last one. Still nothing. I wonder if a defective AGP slot would effect the PCIs? because I don't know if it's my graphic card fan dying or what but its not spinning at full speed all the time anymore. But when i switched to my old Ti200 the fan on that won't spin either. Dunno if both my Ti4200 and the Ti200 fans died or if my AGP slot is dying. But would that effect the PCI?
September 11, 2003 11:43:04 PM

marvelii: I'm currently running Windows XP SP1 as well. This was the system OS I tried to install my controller card on. The BIOS on the card won't even install so it doesn't even detect the HD is connected to the Controller Card. Therefore I can't even format/partition the drive at all. =[
September 11, 2003 11:50:17 PM

thats a bummer. maybe u should try different ide cables or try messing around the jumpers on the hdd. good luk

SHUTTLE XPC SN45G
nForce2 Ultra 400
Athlon XP 3200+
Corsair PC3200 512MB
Radeon 9600Pro
WD 160GB HD
Toshiba DVD-R
September 12, 2003 12:50:09 AM

hehe yeah thanks i'll need the luck. I have tried all that. Also called WD tech support. I think I will just wait till I get a new mb/cpu this xmas. Until then, i will have a 200gb sitting in my closet
=\
September 12, 2003 1:51:56 AM

well the only thing i can think of now is to try the promise card in an other computer or motherboard to rule out faulty card and when you are at it you can also check out your graphic card and see if the fan spinns up allright if it does it maybe the motherboard thats bad, and finally try to set the jumpers in alternative position as in figure 3 http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp
!