valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Question: Before i install my new mobo and processor do i have to reformat my hard drive or do i do it after? Or do i have to do it at all?

Thanks in Advance!

G

Do it after, when you reinstall windows.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Can you clarify a little more? That is a comfusing reply the way i read it, you mean to reformat twice. Did you mean to install the motherboard, turn on the computer then choose to reformat from the desktop, and then reinstall windows?

G

No. Install the mobo, and then boot from the cd and format, and then install windows.

G

By the way, what operating system are you using?

G

Install the mobo, then boot into the BIOS and make sure the cd drive is the first bootable device. Then, put your XP cd in, and save the changes and exit the BIOS. Your computer will reboot from the cd. Follow the instructions to format the partition that you are installing windows to. When, during the installation, your computer reboots on its own, don't let it boot from cd. You have two options here:

1) When your computer reboots, and says "press any key to boot from cd", don't touch anything and let it boot to the hard drive and continue the installation.

2) When your computer reboots, you can re-enter the BIOS, and change your first boot device to HDD0. Save, and exit BIOS.

At some point in the installation, windows will ask for the ME cd. This is only to confirm that you have one, and isn't needed for anything else in the installation.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
So you mean i dont have to install me before i install the xp home upgrade?

Also thanks a ton for your help klutz

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by valcron on 09/10/03 08:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

No, and I suggest that you don't. Boot from the XP cd and it'll install a fresh, new XP to your hard drive. Since you have an upgrade cd, you should only need the ME cd to confirm that you already have some version of windows. When it asks for it, put it in, and hit OK, or whatever, it will eject the disk and tell you to put the XP cd back in. Then it will finish installing XP.