socket 370 motherboards

hellojello

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
I am looking to upgrade my old hp pavilion's motherboard

1 gig coppermine p3
i810e chipset

I am having a hard time tracking down current information for socket 370 motherboards. What are some stable, well-performing motherboards I can use?

Also, should the motherboard support DDR or not? I have heard that p3's can't really take advantage of ddr memory, but I may be wrong. Please let me know what my best options are.

Thank you!

You may have to use an hp replacement board to fit your old case. To save money, skip the hp board, and get a new case. Your old mobo may have built in video, so you may want to replace it with the same 810e chipset. If not, I would suggest a refurbished mobo, video card and case from newegg.com. If you don't find a refurbished p3 mobo, Justdeals has a soyo-tek 815e socket 370 mobo for only $26 plus shipping. The model number is SY-7IS2 and it uses sdram, but has no built in video. Ddram doesn't offer any performance gain over sdram with the p3. If you're thinking of an upgrade anyway, why not get an xp1700 refurb ($30 shipped) and ecs k7s5a mobo (about $50 new, or $30 refurb) that will work fine with pc133 or pc2100.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There is no "current" information, as all the good chipsets are out of production now. You'll have to rely on older boards and older information if you want the best for that CPU. The Soyo board he recommended is fairly good, I had one myself.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I ahve to agree with o1die..Either get a new board from HP or a new case/mobo combo. I have an HP Pavilion myself, and the boards are OEM specific. They are not a standard size, and PSUs are not standard either, I believe.

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad: