help,modem,network on winxp plus uninstall win98

I had windows 98 second edition on my computer, I lost some files so I
couldn't get into windows anymore. So I installed Windows xp Professional.
I installed my netzero dial up also. I can not get on the internet, It says
it can not detect my modem. I tried all the standard ones they gave me and it
still wouldn't work. My modem on win98 was PCtel.inc Hsp56 Audio Modem Riser
and it was on com2, in the winxp I only have com1. (plus when I tried to
install the old modem driver that I had it said it still cant detect it.) I
also had Network Davicom
All I want to do is wipe my computer clean of win98, have winxp and get onto
the internet.
Plus I also can still view my old win98 from winxp.
Thank You
3 answers Last reply
More about help modem network winxp uninstall win98

    Renee wrote:
    > I had windows 98 second edition on my computer, I lost some files so I
    > couldn't get into windows anymore. So I installed Windows xp Professional.
    > I installed my netzero dial up also. I can not get on the internet, It says
    > it can not detect my modem. I tried all the standard ones they gave me and it
    > still wouldn't work. My modem on win98 was PCtel.inc Hsp56 Audio Modem Riser
    > and it was on com2, in the winxp I only have com1. (plus when I tried to
    > install the old modem driver that I had it said it still cant detect it.) I
    > also had Network Davicom
    > All I want to do is wipe my computer clean of win98, have winxp and get onto
    > the internet.
    > Plus I also can still view my old win98 from winxp.
    > Thank You

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    Get and XP compatible modem driver:
    http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/801.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Renee wrote:
    > I had windows 98 second edition on my computer, I lost some
    > files so I couldn't get into windows anymore. So I installed
    > Windows xp Professional.
    > I installed my netzero dial up also. I can not get on the
    > internet, It says it can not detect my modem. I tried all
    > the standard ones they gave me and it still wouldn't work.
    > My modem on win98 was PCtel.inc Hsp56 Audio Modem Riser and
    > it was on com2, in the winxp I only have com1. (plus when I
    > tried to install the old modem driver that I had it said it
    > still cant detect it.) I also had Network Davicom
    > All I want to do is wipe my computer clean of win98, have
    > winxp and get onto the internet.
    > Plus I also can still view my old win98 from winxp.
    > Thank You

    You might want to try the following modem driver

    http://www.conexant.com/support/files/HSP_UniDriverSoftware_Win2kXP.zip

    It looks as if PCtel no longer offers support for your modem.
    Limited support for these products in now being provided here:

    http://www.conexant.com/support/hsp_support.html

    Keep in mind that there's always the possibility that your
    modem won't work in Windows XP. You may also find that your
    modem isn't the only device which has a problem. Take a look in
    Device Manager (Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc) and see if there
    are any other issues which need to be addressed before XP will
    run correctly. If you find XP drivers for all your hardware you
    can then perform a clean installation of XP. Take a look here
    for the procedure.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

Modem Dial Up Connection Windows XP