wazzlez

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
After using linux for awhile I'm switching back to Windows for various reasons, mainly because of iTunes and InDesign. I have a legal copy of XP Home with sp1a on the disc, and a burned copy of xp pro.

With both, I boot from the CD, and it says "Inspecting System Configuration" for about 5 seconds, and then goes to a blank screen.

My comp is homebuilt, with an Athlon XP 1700+ running @ 2.2Ghz, 400Mhz bus, Abit NF7-S v2.0, Abit Siluro GeForce 4 Ti4200, a 40GB hard drive and a 200GB hard drive on the IDE bus.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Do you have any pci devices? My machine did that when I had anything plugged into the slot that shared an irq w/ my onboard sata controller. I didn't think irq conflicts were possible anymore but when I removed the card my machine was fine.
Windows may not like the linux partitions even when you are just starting the setup. Try booting off a dos floppy or something and formatting the drive(s) from that.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Yes, it's weird. I guess that the first thing I'd do is boot from the XP CD and repartition the drives into either FAT32 or NTFS, then format them.

I'm willing to bet that this will fix it.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>