Auto Hibernation/Standby

My computer goes into hibernation/stand by every hour or so. I have disabled
hibernation and standby in the control panel, power settings. When it does
this it sometimes will wake when I move the mouse and sometimes it doesn't
and I have to reboot. How do I stop it from doing this? It doesn't log me
out when this happens either.
3 answers Last reply
More about auto hibernation standby

    Hi,

    Check Power Management (PM) in the system BIOS. If you disabled the Win
    version of PM and the system still hibernates or goes into standby, then it
    is there that you will likely find the cause.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Rosalie" <Rosalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer goes into hibernation/stand by every hour or so. I have
    > disabled
    > hibernation and standby in the control panel, power settings. When it does
    > this it sometimes will wake when I move the mouse and sometimes it doesn't
    > and I have to reboot. How do I stop it from doing this? It doesn't log
    > me
    > out when this happens either.

    Rick,
    Instructions please. My computer just recently started going into
    hibernation on it's own. I hadn't had any problems until just a couple weeks
    ago. I've never been in the system BIOS before. At least I don't think I've
    been. And wouldn't know how to get in there in the first place. Help! This
    is driving me crazy.
    Rosalie

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Check Power Management (PM) in the system BIOS. If you disabled the Win
    > version of PM and the system still hibernates or goes into standby, then it
    > is there that you will likely find the cause.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Rosalie" <Rosalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer goes into hibernation/stand by every hour or so. I have
    > > disabled
    > > hibernation and standby in the control panel, power settings. When it does
    > > this it sometimes will wake when I move the mouse and sometimes it doesn't
    > > and I have to reboot. How do I stop it from doing this? It doesn't log
    > > me
    > > out when this happens either.

    Hi Rosalie,

    The system BIOS is accessed before Windows begins to load when the machine
    is first started. Often the access is covered by a manufacturer's splash
    screen - just hit <escape> at this point. What you want to locate is a line
    that reads "enter <any key> to enter setup", as <any key> is what you need
    to depress to access the BIOS. You will find a list of many manufacturer's
    and what key to hit here:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    Once in here, you need to look at the Power Management options to see if
    something is set to standby or hibernate after a specific time interval.

    --

    > Rick,
    > Instructions please. My computer just recently started going into
    > hibernation on it's own. I hadn't had any problems until just a couple
    > weeks
    > ago. I've never been in the system BIOS before. At least I don't think
    > I've
    > been. And wouldn't know how to get in there in the first place. Help!
    > This
    > is driving me crazy.
    > Rosalie
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Check Power Management (PM) in the system BIOS. If you disabled the Win
    >> version of PM and the system still hibernates or goes into standby, then
    >> it
    >> is there that you will likely find the cause.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Rosalie" <Rosalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My computer goes into hibernation/stand by every hour or so. I have
    >> > disabled
    >> > hibernation and standby in the control panel, power settings. When it
    >> > does
    >> > this it sometimes will wake when I move the mouse and sometimes it
    >> > doesn't
    >> > and I have to reboot. How do I stop it from doing this? It doesn't
    >> > log
    >> > me
    >> > out when this happens either.

Hibernation Microsoft Windows XP