Computer Freezes

teclis5

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2004
My computer froze after inserting a cdrom my computer froze. So I restarted it and when it was booting it told me it could't find a keyboard. I was using a KVM, so I tried the keyboard on my other computer and it worked just fine. So I took off the KVM and still no dice. I then put another mouse and keyboardd on it (the previous set was wireless) and that let it boot up. I stopped it at the bios and the keyboard let me navigate. Then I let it go to windows. I could move the mouse around, I click on the icon to login, then I touch just one key and the mouse is disabled and nothing is typed. I'm really not sure what happened but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to reintstall...but I was wondering if anyone had heard of this before or could help me out.

Thanks

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Try disconnecting the defective cdrom. Broken hardware has a way of making computers act strangly.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I've upgraded 3 computers to SP2 and 2 of the 3 do this. As soon as I eject the disk, the computer returns to normal. While the disk is in, the cd-rom and hard drive lights go solid until i eject the disk. very odd behavior. Both the systems functioned normally before the SP2 install.

<b><font color=blue>Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people.</b></font color=blue>