simleep

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
I have an MSI 865PE motherboard FIS2R, which comes with a program called corecell where you can overclock the board. This sort of stuff is new to me so bare with me. In the overclocking portion of the prgram there is a setting called auto which seems to gradually put up the FSB. I clicked this and watched the FSB climb to about 212. Feeling a bit nervous, I then stopped it to see if it was stable and tried to run a game. The computer then crashed. I tried to re-boot but nothing seemed to happen. The board also comes with a so called D (diagnostic)-link with a series of LEDs to help diagnose problems. Attached this and saw that the BIOS stop whent testing the RTC (real time clock). Tried resetting the bios but no change.Tried taking the CMOS battery out and putting back in, but still no change. Have I buggered the motherboard!!! What should I do?
H E L P

zepper

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
When you tried to reset the CMOS was your computer unplugged from the AC mains? If not, try it again that way to see if it works.
.b.h.

----------
Perhaps the only reason for your existence is to act as a warning to others...

simleep

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
Yes it was unplugged from the mains. I have taken the cmos battery out again, but how long do you have to wait before the capacitor discharges? Is it 24 or 48 hrs?

endyen

Splendid
What you should do is: 1 unplug your computer. 2 move the jumper on JBAT1 to the 2+3 position. 3 Move the jumper back to the 1+2 position. Plug your computer back in and restart. You will have reset the bios, so you will have to go back in and set date clock etc. As for the jumper, you will find it below and on the right side of the battery. Good luck.

simleep

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
Yes will do. Spoke to MSI tech service today as well. They also suggested putting a screw driver accross the CMOS battery terminals on the board. If all this doesn't work then they tell me to send the board back to where I purchased it which means I would loose use of my computer for two weeks. I asked if what I did would cause such a problem, but they said not, unless there was already some sort of fault in the RTC already. We shall see. I will try everything this evening when I get home.

simleep

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
Alas, all of the above came to naught. Tried all the procedures twice but still no change. D bracket still shows a stall in the BIOS at RTC. I guess I will have to send off the mobo again. This is one unlucky computer.
Simleep

TRENDING THREADS