Sign in with
Your question

Asus A7N8X or Abit NF7-S?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 11, 2003 11:42:27 PM

Im stuck. i dont know whether to choose the Abit NF7-S mobo or the A7N8X Deluxe to base my new system around. ive read plenty of reviews, but need some advice from you enthusiasts

the system i was planning to build was...

One of the two mobos names above
Athlon XP Barton 2500+ clocked to 3000+ (ish, higher if it stays cool enough)
was going to go for the Thermaltake Volcano 11, anyone got any other reccomendations?
Hercules Radeon 9800 128, then clock it to a PRO
1024mb DDR 400mhz

i am aware there is some issues with the Asus board as far as RAM is concerned, where the ram only runs at 200 unless put in certain slots (correct me if im wrong)

which motherboard do you lot reckon would be the better option for this system out of the two?

another thing to think about...

if i wanted to sell my Soltek SL75DRV Mobo, Athlon XP 1800+ with cooler, 768MB DDR 333, and Gainward GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64mb, how much do u reckon i could get for that?

cheers for your time lads

More about : asus a7n8x abit nf7

September 12, 2003 12:35:15 AM

For overclocking I would suggest Abit NF7-S.

<b><font color=blue>Oh, I can shed light on that ...</font color=blue></b>
Related resources
September 12, 2003 9:47:33 AM

another vote for ABIT, based on what I've read...

Quote:
Hercules Radeon 9800 128, then clock it to a PRO

I'm not too sure if it's possible to do this.. I think some early 9500s could be, but I think you might be dissapointed if you expect to be able to do this... There's a great deal more difference between them than mere clock speed. Others know more than me though.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:
September 16, 2003 6:12:09 PM

I just purchased my new rig, and ended up with the Asus A7N8X-DX (rev 2.0). Now my knowledge on OC'ing and mobos are in general, limited, but the dual lan was enticing, and my rig is pretty much the same as yours. And RAM wise, you just have to put the DIMMS so that you have one stick in each colour, in whatever combination (Slot 1 and 3, 1 and 2, etc.) Not too hard. I'm just confuzzled about the ram speed settings in the bios, but I think im ok with going with stock performance.

My rig
Athlon XP 2500
2x Kingston 512 DDR400
Asus A7N8X-DX
MSI 5600 GeForceFX VTD-128

Cpu running at the regular 1.8 ghz
Ram settings at 5,2,2,2

Remember, when in doubt, even monkeys fall from trees sometimes.
September 18, 2003 12:32:13 PM

ABIT goooood, ASUS Baddddd.
No seriously ABIT is a better choice, but make sure its a Rev 2.0 thou.
I think you are setting your OC intentions a bit high? A XP2500+ to a XP3000+ using air cooling. If you have a delta running full wack, and the voltage turned all the way up, you might get it to post, and load into windows. But as for benchmarking and playing games you may suffer lockups and reboots.
As people may have already said overclock slow to find the sweat spot. I have got upto a 2GHz using a swiftech MCX462, delta fan being controled by Nexus fan control, Corsair XMS TwinX 3200LL, and the ABIT board. I dropped the multiplier and upped the FSB to about 190. Can't remember the full settings off the top of my head.
But the system was stable. Any higher i suffered the above problems.
If you still want to go for the XP3000+ mark i recommend some water cooling. Overclockers.co.uk do a £82 water cooling kit that maybe a good investment. I don't know for sure as i haven't seen any reviews on it yet.
Also people make reference to aggressive memory timings. bear in mind they only offer marginal score increases in reality. Don't sacrifice stability for speed! Find your memory sweet spot settings. 6*3*3 Cas 2 works fine for me. But makes little difference if the Cas is set to either 2 or 3.
The ATI 9800 (non pro?) well no experience with one of them, however i was able to OC a 9600 256mb to 350 core and 450 memory (standard being 275 core and 400 memory) without any additional cooling. The 9600 Pro is set to 400 core and 600 memory, so not a bad OC all in all.

Hope this helps.

Lord Jago.
September 18, 2003 1:35:46 PM

Quote:
I think you are setting your OC intentions a bit high? A XP2500+ to a XP3000+

eh? It's ridiculously easy, what makes you think otherwise? My XP1700+ is running at XP3200+ speeds (albeit half the L2 cache as it's a t-bred not a barton). Almost everyone who's ever tried overclocking a Barton on an nforce2 board has got it faster than 2.2Ghz (XP3200+), with some getting up to 2.5Ghz. (~XP3600+ ish? not too sure) I bet your problems are something else, like a poor power supply or something. Can't be your RAM, as I have the exact same stuff and it's @ 196Mhz 2-2-2-4.

There are comparatively large differences between the 'pro' and non-pro versions of the ATi Dx9 cards - they physically have less transistors on them as they lack certain hardware features, and no amount of extra clock speed will add them back in (although it will help performance of course).

Quote:
i was able to OC a 9600 256mb to 350 core and 450 memory (standard being 275 core and 400 memory) without any additional cooling.

I didn't realise there was that much headroom on the 9600... nearly 30%, pretty impressive for a GPU.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
September 18, 2003 2:39:56 PM

Nope Power supply ain't a problem. Ive got a choice between Enermax, Vantec or Chieftec. 550W, 420W or 350W respectivly.
The XP1700+ is legendary in its OC ability. So i have no doubt you got major OCing with it. The Barton i have got to 2.2GHz, using a Delta at full wack. Sorry but 52d is just too loud! And stability was flakey at best. I am a stability person, not a speed demon :-) But then it always depends on the core of the processor really. Some are good some aren't so good. Maybe mine was one of the not so good batches. I think thats why i got rid :-P

Lord Jago
September 18, 2003 4:04:31 PM

Sounds like you were pretty unlucky there.... never heard of anyone having trouble getting a Barton past 2Ghz... I suppose there's gotta be one bad egg in the basket..

the weird thing is, my 1700+ does 2.25Ghz on 1.575V, but I can't get anything faster even with the Vcore as high as 1.85V... :eek:  ... but I'm happy with it, as it's 100% stable at these speeds, and I haven't yet found anything that it struggles with.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
September 21, 2003 12:05:38 AM

If your still looking for the Abit MB Theirs a guy on ebay selling them he has about 30 in stock and their all Version 2.0. I bought mine for $60 that's hella of a steal.
September 21, 2003 4:23:53 AM

havent used abit, so my vote goes for a7n8x dx r2.0 My barton 2500+ is set at 3200+ speeds 200x11.0! that's 2.2ghz for 90 bucks. I have s speeze fan (looks hella cool) it runs at 3000 rpms and around 30db (wisper silent). When my room was 90f my cpu temps at full load for hours were only a tad over 50c (115?f?) I have some case fans, all wisper. Almost all the 2500+ bartons will run at 3200+ speeds, because they are from the same wafers.

I'm running at 1.775v, nothing too drastic. My system hasen't crashed and it runs prime 95 for hours. Its not just the cpu's sweet spot, its a mixture of ram (i'll assume you have pc3200) and it NEEDS more juice 2.8v is good, plus find the right cpu voltage, I found that anything under 1.775 is unstable, anything over was, too much. Same with ram, 2.6 no good, 2.8 just fine, still within warrentee specs too.

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%
!