can't open the little boxes with x inside them

I have xp and I have never been able to open the little square boxes with the
x inside them that are used on many sites to open up the information. I
recently signed up for a talk online and you are suppose to click on the box
with the x to open it but nothing happens when I click on this box. I tried
several things but nothing is working. Any suggestions Thanks

Can you cite a page or two where one would find these little boxes with an x
inside them?

Are you running a Norton or McAfee application (e.g., Norton AntiVirus,
Systemworks or Internet Security; McAfee VirusScan or Internet Security)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

"Judeen" <Judeen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have xp and I have never been able to open the little square boxes with
>the
> x inside them that are used on many sites to open up the information. I
> recently signed up for a talk online and you are suppose to click on the
> box
> with the x to open it but nothing happens when I click on this box. I
> tried
> several things but nothing is working. Any suggestions Thanks

Maybe talking about expanding a thread or menu? They don't open, they just expand...

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
> Can you cite a page or two where one would find these little boxes with an x inside
> them?
>
> Are you running a Norton or McAfee application (e.g., Norton AntiVirus, Systemworks
> or Internet Security; McAfee VirusScan or Internet Security)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> "Judeen" <Judeen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have xp and I have never been able to open the little square boxes with the
>> x inside them that are used on many sites to open up the information. I
>> recently signed up for a talk online and you are suppose to click on the box
>> with the x to open it but nothing happens when I click on this box. I tried
>> several things but nothing is working. Any suggestions Thanks

Or maybe they are opening in a popup window and the popup blocker is blocking
them from opening.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Maybe talking about expanding a thread or menu? They don't open, they just expand...
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> > Can you cite a page or two where one would find these little boxes with an x inside
> > them?
> >
> > Are you running a Norton or McAfee application (e.g., Norton AntiVirus, Systemworks
> > or Internet Security; McAfee VirusScan or Internet Security)?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > "Judeen" <Judeen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have xp and I have never been able to open the little square boxes with the
> >> x inside them that are used on many sites to open up the information. I
> >> recently signed up for a talk online and you are suppose to click on the box
> >> with the x to open it but nothing happens when I click on this box. I tried
> >> several things but nothing is working. Any suggestions Thanks

I suspect that the ability to view images or javascript has been blocked on
your system. I think that the x's that you're talking about are the images
used to mark where the links are in the page. The ability to view these
images is different from the ability to click on the links.

Check to see if Java is enabled on your syste by going to the Tools Menu of
Internet Explorer and selecting Internet Options. Click on the Advanced tab
and scroll down to the Java or the Microsoft VM section and ensure that the
blocks for using it are checked.