Athlon Dual DDR Boards

gmayol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Hello,
When comparing the NForce 2 chipset to VIA, SIS people tend to minimize the advantage of having dual channel support, although the processor only runs on single channel.
But, the AGP, PCI and other devices also should share that memory bandwidth, isn't it ?
So the advantage of having dual channel should be clear: the processor has all the bandwidth it needs, because the AGP, PCI required bandwith run on the extra bandwidth the chipset has. On a single channel this bandwidth should be shared among all the devices.
and the question is:

I am true ?

augustus108

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
I thought the PCI is related to the SOuthbridge?
How come I don't seem to see people posting about the TWinbank function of nForce2?
Frankly, I still don't understand the different between Twinbank and Dual channel, even reading through pIII Man post (too lazy, to find the link & stick it here)
Also, AMD XP can't ultilise the Dual in Ultra400, what was the point of inventing it? Preparing for AMD64? Marketing? R&D? Unless, it is like what gmayol said about AGP using those bandwidth.
I hope the guru out there would clarify for me( and some of us).

System Integration...yeah right, thanks to marketing, more confusion

gmayol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Well, the SouthBridge is linked to the NorthBridge trhough HyperTransport at 800Mb/s. Although hardly uses this bandwidth, is also a "client" of the NorthBridge...
I suppose that TwinBank is the nvidia's marketing name for Dual Channel DDR...

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
No, Twinbank and Dual Channel DDR is totally different technology.
Dual channel DDR on nForce2 is to reduce the latency and thus gains in performance. Twinbank is the better utilisation of memory bandwidth.

Me fail English? That's Unpossible!
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

endyen

Splendid
Dual channel adds about 20% to memory bandwidth, on the nforce boards. Memory is only part of the system. Hardrives the processor, video card are all included in the better benches. As a result, the system benefit from this 20% is only a performance gain of 3 to 5 %. By the same token, an increase of cpu speed of 20% would have a perf gain of about 5 to 8% for the system. When dual channel first came out, everyone oowed and aahed. Now Intel has it, so the intel fanboys say nforce dual is no good. As far as other parts using a direct memory access, this has little effect on overall system perf.