Scott

My wife just got an Gateway M320S notebook with WinXP Pro, SP2. It also
has a built-in wireless card. From the very first bootup, it took several
minutes. First I thought it was the Norton Internet Security 2005 that came
pre-installed, but when I disabled all of it's elements in msconfig, it
doesn't boot any faster. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router in my home,
and the notebook has a built-in wireless card. The internal card is set for
802.11.b., and my router is set to "Mixed" (because I have a PDA that only
works on 802.11.b). When I disable the wireless connection before shutdown,
then it reboots faster. What we're talking about is a 20-second delay just
after the desktop background appears and until the icons appear on the
desktop. After that, the taskbard icons load (adding a minute or so, which
is probably normal). I suspect that during the first 20-seconds of a totally
blank desktop, the system is looking for a wireless network to connect to.
This is similar behavior to my wired XP desktop that had a long delay when
the ethernet port on the router went bad. Plugging it into another port
eliminated the wait. Yes, Wireless Zero Configuration is turned off on the
notebook. What puzzles me is that my 3-year old XP Pro (SP1) desktop boots in
less than a minute. I also have a 2-year old Gateway notebook with WinXP Pro
(SP1) that boots just as fast.

Is there any way to configure this notebook to not take so long looking for
a network on bootup? It shouldn't take 20-seconds to find the wireless network,
which, by the way, is running on a 3MB Charter cable modem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Scott

Scott,
You may want to copy & paste your question at this specific site;
'This forum is for Wireless LAN Networking and Equipment discussions.'
(http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/wlan)
I'm sure they've seen this before. I don't run SP2 or your
configuration.
These folks can help.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

Scott

Treeman,

Thanks, but I solved the problem by uninstalling Norton Internet Security
Suite 2005. Very fast bootup now. Blame it on "bloatware". An older
version of Norton AV works just fine.

Scott