xp pro pirated copy

I have a pirated copy of xp pro, i have backed up my files and settings on
another hard drive, but now i need to wipe my hard disc clean so i can re
install a legal copy of xp home . how do i clean this disc?
7 answers Last reply
More about pirated copy

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "gruven" wrote:

    | I have a pirated copy of xp pro, i have backed up my files and settings on
    | another hard drive, but now i need to wipe my hard disc clean so i can re
    | install a legal copy of xp home . how do i clean this disc?

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 05:46:22 -0700, gruven
    <gruven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a pirated copy of xp pro, i have backed up my files and settings on
    >another hard drive, but now i need to wipe my hard disc clean so i can re
    >install a legal copy of xp home . how do i clean this disc?

    If it is the same exact version-You can possible change your key.
    Don't not do this from windows safe mode.
    Otherwise you will need to do a clean install.
    Just stick the cd and reboot.
    Install all software and hardware than activate your system.

    Greg Ro

    Connect to the Internet

    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
    Version\WPAEvents

    In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.

    Change at least one digit of first line value.

    Now in the run box type
    %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

    Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
    activate Windows, and then click Next. Click Change the Product key.
    Type the product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update. If
    another Screen pops up-Click Remind me latter.

    Now in the run box type
    %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

    Chose Internet and activate (You will need to allow it through your
    firewall).

    In news:16BB96AC-1B71-48A9-A17E-8A5494C8C072@microsoft.com,
    gruven <gruven@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have a pirated copy of xp pro, i have backed up my files and
    > settings on another hard drive, but now i need to wipe my hard
    > disc
    > clean so i can re install a legal copy of xp home . how do i
    > clean
    > this disc?

    You do it as part of the installation, not as a separate step
    beforehand. Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS
    boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow the
    prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing partition
    by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    The poster said his copy of XP Pro was pirated and that they wanted to install XP Home.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:40:53 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >The poster said his copy of XP Pro was pirated and that they wanted to install XP Home.

    oops.
    But you didn't see this

    "gruven" <gruven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a pirated copy of xp pro, i have backed up my files and
    > settings on another hard drive, but now i need to wipe my hard disc
    > clean so i can re install a legal copy of xp home . how do i clean
    > this disc?

    If you have a full copy of XP then early on in the install process you will
    be given the opportunity to format the drive. Choose a New installation, not
    an upgrade.

    gruven wrote:
    > I have a pirated copy of xp pro, i have backed up my files and settings on
    > another hard drive, but now i need to wipe my hard disc clean so i can re
    > install a legal copy of xp home . how do i clean this disc?

    After backing up any important data to an external storage device,
    simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm