Hello. I have already read the threads and found similar, but not the same
issues...Some web pages remain blank with a small red x. I sometimes get the
message that I do not support Java applets, or I have them turned off. This
is not the case, under Tools>Security>Scripting Java is enabled. What else
can I do? In my Norton I am told that I have an invalid Active X/Com...Is
this related?

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:17:06 -0700, "ctaulbee"
<ctaulbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello. I have already read the threads and found similar, but not the same
>issues...Some web pages remain blank with a small red x. I sometimes get the
>message that I do not support Java applets, or I have them turned off. This
>is not the case, under Tools>Security>Scripting Java is enabled. What else
>can I do? In my Norton I am told that I have an invalid Active X/Com...Is
>this related?

I believe that you need the java run time environment. "Sun" makes the
one most use I believe. If you look in your
control-panel/add-remove-programs, scroll down to the "j"s and see if you
see something that says something like J2SE or java runtime environment.
If not, you need to get it at the Sun website.

I understand back in the old days Microsoft included java as part of
Windows, but was sued and stopped providing it as part of Windows. But
like flash is used now by some websites and you need to download to be
able to see flash, you need the java environment loaded too.

This is unrelated to "javascript", a form of HTML code or a separate
scripting code used in web pages.

...D.

Thank you for you help. I do have Java Runtime. I even went into the change
option and tried downloading the program and its 4 apps.....Is there
something else I need to do to activate the Java? Should I uninstall and
reinstall? I am open to any suggestions since this is a nusiance....

"...D." wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:17:06 -0700, "ctaulbee"
> <ctaulbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello. I have already read the threads and found similar, but not the same
> >issues...Some web pages remain blank with a small red x. I sometimes get the
> >message that I do not support Java applets, or I have them turned off. This
> >is not the case, under Tools>Security>Scripting Java is enabled. What else
> >can I do? In my Norton I am told that I have an invalid Active X/Com...Is
> >this related?
>
> I believe that you need the java run time environment. "Sun" makes the
> one most use I believe. If you look in your
> control-panel/add-remove-programs, scroll down to the "j"s and see if you
> see something that says something like J2SE or java runtime environment.
> If not, you need to get it at the Sun website.
>
> I understand back in the old days Microsoft included java as part of
> Windows, but was sued and stopped providing it as part of Windows. But
> like flash is used now by some websites and you need to download to be
> able to see flash, you need the java environment loaded too.
>
> This is unrelated to "javascript", a form of HTML code or a separate
> scripting code used in web pages.
>
> ...D.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:09:09 -0700, "ctaulbee"
<ctaulbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for you help. I do have Java Runtime. I even went into the change
>option and tried downloading the program and its 4 apps.....Is there
>something else I need to do to activate the Java? Should I uninstall and
>reinstall? I am open to any suggestions since this is a nusiance....
>
>"...D." wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by it's "4 apps". Though keep in mind I am far
from an expert.

Be careful not to install the programmers version (but maybe that should
work too, but it's for programmers to use.. All you want is J2SE.

And whenever I get a newer version of J2SE, it does not uninstall the
older version. I once had 3 versions going until I realized it and deleted
the older ones.

Here is what it says in control-panel/add-remove-programs - only one
program related here: "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4".

Otherwise, perhaps, check in Internet Explorer's "Tools" and see if it
says as part of that menu above "options" - "Sun Java Console".

--- > Also look in Internet Explorer, "Tools" then "Options" then
"advanced" then there is a box to tick that states to use the J2SE program
- it might be un-ticked. Requires a computer re-start if it is un-ticked
and you tick it.

...D.

D, I checked all the "tools" you mentioned. Yes, Java Console is an option,
but I can't click on it...I even went into my Java and clicked to show the
console. This did not solve the problem. My Java in control panel is Java 2
Untime Environment, SE vl. 4.2_03. You mentioned a 5? Could I need a newer
version? Any other suggestions?
Thanks for assisting me, I really appreciate it. A remember, while we are
not experts, we have experience which will help someone....

"...D." wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:09:09 -0700, "ctaulbee"
> <ctaulbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thank you for you help. I do have Java Runtime. I even went into the change
> >option and tried downloading the program and its 4 apps.....Is there
> >something else I need to do to activate the Java? Should I uninstall and
> >reinstall? I am open to any suggestions since this is a nusiance....
> >
> >"...D." wrote:
>
> I am not sure what you mean by it's "4 apps". Though keep in mind I am far
> from an expert.
>
> Be careful not to install the programmers version (but maybe that should
> work too, but it's for programmers to use.. All you want is J2SE.
>
> And whenever I get a newer version of J2SE, it does not uninstall the
> older version. I once had 3 versions going until I realized it and deleted
> the older ones.
>
> Here is what it says in control-panel/add-remove-programs - only one
> program related here: "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4".
>
> Otherwise, perhaps, check in Internet Explorer's "Tools" and see if it
> says as part of that menu above "options" - "Sun Java Console".
>
> --- > Also look in Internet Explorer, "Tools" then "Options" then
> "advanced" then there is a box to tick that states to use the J2SE program
> - it might be un-ticked. Requires a computer re-start if it is un-ticked
> and you tick it.
>
> ...D.

D...you are a genius! I went back to Java's homepage in search of
version5...I found the Virtual Machine and downloaded...I am now up to par.
Everything seems to work as I want! I did remember to remove the older
version as you had mentioned. Thank you so much:).

"ctaulbee" wrote:

> D, I checked all the "tools" you mentioned. Yes, Java Console is an option,
> but I can't click on it...I even went into my Java and clicked to show the
> console. This did not solve the problem. My Java in control panel is Java 2
> Untime Environment, SE vl. 4.2_03. You mentioned a 5? Could I need a newer
> version? Any other suggestions?
> Thanks for assisting me, I really appreciate it. A remember, while we are
> not experts, we have experience which will help someone....
>
> "...D." wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:09:09 -0700, "ctaulbee"
> > <ctaulbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Thank you for you help. I do have Java Runtime. I even went into the change
> > >option and tried downloading the program and its 4 apps.....Is there
> > >something else I need to do to activate the Java? Should I uninstall and
> > >reinstall? I am open to any suggestions since this is a nusiance....
> > >
> > >"...D." wrote:
> >
> > I am not sure what you mean by it's "4 apps". Though keep in mind I am far
> > from an expert.
> >
> > Be careful not to install the programmers version (but maybe that should
> > work too, but it's for programmers to use.. All you want is J2SE.
> >
> > And whenever I get a newer version of J2SE, it does not uninstall the
> > older version. I once had 3 versions going until I realized it and deleted
> > the older ones.
> >
> > Here is what it says in control-panel/add-remove-programs - only one
> > program related here: "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4".
> >
> > Otherwise, perhaps, check in Internet Explorer's "Tools" and see if it
> > says as part of that menu above "options" - "Sun Java Console".
> >
> > --- > Also look in Internet Explorer, "Tools" then "Options" then
> > "advanced" then there is a box to tick that states to use the J2SE program
> > - it might be un-ticked. Requires a computer re-start if it is un-ticked
> > and you tick it.
> >
> > ...D.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:46:32 -0700, "ctaulbee"
<ctaulbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>D...you are a genius! I went back to Java's homepage in search of
>version5...I found the Virtual Machine and downloaded...I am now up to par.
>Everything seems to work as I want! I did remember to remove the older
>version as you had mentioned. Thank you so much:).

Seems to me though that an older version should still have worked..
something got out of whack on your computer as far as java was concerned
and the newer version install went and fixed it..

...D.

D, true enough. But, I'll be glad for the small things. Hopefully, whatever
messed it up to begin with, will not do the same again. I have Zone Alarm,
Norton, and Ad-Aware; I was not so protected the 1st month as a newbie...I
have not had any viruses reported, so I will hope that the new version will
remain intact.
Again, thank you so much. I did not solve this without your help.

"...D." wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:46:32 -0700, "ctaulbee"
> <ctaulbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >D...you are a genius! I went back to Java's homepage in search of
> >version5...I found the Virtual Machine and downloaded...I am now up to par.
> >Everything seems to work as I want! I did remember to remove the older
> >version as you had mentioned. Thank you so much:).
>
> Seems to me though that an older version should still have worked..
> something got out of whack on your computer as far as java was concerned
> and the newer version install went and fixed it..
>
> ...D.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:50:08 +0100, D. wrote
(in article <vanhf15hrmm448uqda3324vi58jaem3mp5@4ax.com>):

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:17:06 -0700, "ctaulbee"
> <ctaulbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello. I have already read the threads and found similar, but not the same
>> issues...Some web pages remain blank with a small red x. I sometimes get
>> the
>> message that I do not support Java applets, or I have them turned off.
>> This
>> is not the case, under Tools>Security>Scripting Java is enabled. What else
>> can I do? In my Norton I am told that I have an invalid Active X/Com...Is
>> this related?
>
> I believe that you need the java run time environment. "Sun" makes the
> one most use I believe. If you look in your

Er, no, they don't. Sun develops the only one in use because it's their
technology. No one else develops it. If there are other flavours of Java
they will have had to have applied to Sun for the licence.

Hogwasher, Premier News and Mail for OS X
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

Evadne,
Thank you for that piece of information. So, if I understand correctly,
Java is its own software comp. But, necessary like the before mentioned
Flash, or even Shockwave...but not an included part of windows. Why is it,
that some websites offer to download flash, shockwave, and other programs, in
order for their page to be utilized...But, Java is never offered? Only the
statememt that the OP does not support Java or the applets? Is it because it
is too new of a program, or is it because the others are somehow considered
freeware?

"Evadne Cake" wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:50:08 +0100, D. wrote
> (in article <vanhf15hrmm448uqda3324vi58jaem3mp5@4ax.com>):
>
> > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:17:06 -0700, "ctaulbee"
> > <ctaulbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello. I have already read the threads and found similar, but not the same
> >> issues...Some web pages remain blank with a small red x. I sometimes get
> >> the
> >> message that I do not support Java applets, or I have them turned off.
> >> This
> >> is not the case, under Tools>Security>Scripting Java is enabled. What else
> >> can I do? In my Norton I am told that I have an invalid Active X/Com...Is
> >> this related?
> >
> > I believe that you need the java run time environment. "Sun" makes the
> > one most use I believe. If you look in your
>

> Er, no, they don't. Sun develops the only one in use because it's their
> technology. No one else develops it. If there are other flavours of Java
> they will have had to have applied to Sun for the licence.

> Hogwasher, Premier News and Mail for OS X
> http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:26:10 +0100, ctaulbee wrote
(in article <837F6217-E297-4318-8AE8-CCE4B7B1995C@microsoft.com>):

> Evadne,
> Thank you for that piece of information. So, if I understand correctly,
> Java is its own software comp. But, necessary like the before mentioned
> Flash, or even Shockwave...but not an included part of windows. Why is it,
> that some websites offer to download flash, shockwave, and other programs, in

> order for their page to be utilized...But, Java is never offered? Only the
> statememt that the OP does not support Java or the applets? Is it because it

> is too new of a program, or is it because the others are somehow considered
> freeware?

No, you don't. Java isn't a company, it's a technology (note that
"technology" isn't software, it's used to develop software). The company that
invented Java is Sun Microsystems.

It was an included part of Windows (it was included in the initial release of
XP, until it was deemed that MS had breached the terms of its contract with
Sun and was forced to remove it with the installation of SP1). However, as
part of the settlement, Sun agreed that the complete termination of the
agreement wouldn't come into force until early 2007, IIRC.

Shockwave and Flash are technologies developed by the Macromedia Corporation.
MS has also developed technologies of its own (e.g. DirectX and .NET).
Neither Flash or Shockwave are included with Windows, either, as Macromedia
has not licensed them to MS.

I don't use Windows, I run Tiger (10.4.2) on a Power Mac G5. Apple also has a
contract with Sun and Java is included in all versions of Mac OS X.

To answer your question, it *IS* offered. If you're not being offered it,
then there is something wrong with your browser (and I can only think you're
running IE - which I haven't used for ages, even when I had my PC, I ran
Firefox and I run FF on my Mac, too). Have you visited the Java website (I
think you can work out the URL) and downloaded it from there? It's an
automatic download and will take about 5 minutes on a standard (512kbps)
broadband connection.

No technology is "freeware" - only software can be given such a label and
technologies aren't software. If you wanted to buy a licence to develop using
any technology, you'd find that it was very costly. What you're referring to
isn't the technology itself, but the plugin that will allow you to access an
application or web content, that was created using that technology.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too new of a program' (poor grammar
notwithstanding). Java isn't new - it's been around for a decade (it first
appeared in March 1995).

Does that clarify things a little? If not, post back.

Evadne,
yes, you clarified quite a bit. It has been since the late '80's when I
worked with computers in school. I have not kept up and am "relearning"
much. Unfortunately, I cann't do it overnite....
Yes, I run IE on a Dell. I have been considering Foxfire. But have a
husband who listens to another friend who is unfamilier with Foxfire.
Patience will pay off eventually...
As mentioned in another thread, I had one version of Java, which did not
work to show the applets. I did visit their site and downloaded the "virtual
machine" with success.
Thanks for taking the time to correct. I know it's comp. 101, but I have
almost 20 years of catching up. :(

"Evadne Cake" wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:26:10 +0100, ctaulbee wrote
> (in article <837F6217-E297-4318-8AE8-CCE4B7B1995C@microsoft.com>):
>
> > Evadne,
> > Thank you for that piece of information. So, if I understand correctly,
> > Java is its own software comp. But, necessary like the before mentioned
> > Flash, or even Shockwave...but not an included part of windows. Why is it,
> > that some websites offer to download flash, shockwave, and other programs, in
>
> > order for their page to be utilized...But, Java is never offered? Only the
> > statememt that the OP does not support Java or the applets? Is it because it
>
> > is too new of a program, or is it because the others are somehow considered
> > freeware?
>

> No, you don't. Java isn't a company, it's a technology (note that
> "technology" isn't software, it's used to develop software). The company that
> invented Java is Sun Microsystems.
>
> It was an included part of Windows (it was included in the initial release of
> XP, until it was deemed that MS had breached the terms of its contract with
> Sun and was forced to remove it with the installation of SP1). However, as
> part of the settlement, Sun agreed that the complete termination of the
> agreement wouldn't come into force until early 2007, IIRC.
>
> Shockwave and Flash are technologies developed by the Macromedia Corporation.
> MS has also developed technologies of its own (e.g. DirectX and .NET).
> Neither Flash or Shockwave are included with Windows, either, as Macromedia
> has not licensed them to MS.
>
> I don't use Windows, I run Tiger (10.4.2) on a Power Mac G5. Apple also has a
> contract with Sun and Java is included in all versions of Mac OS X.
>
> To answer your question, it *IS* offered. If you're not being offered it,
> then there is something wrong with your browser (and I can only think you're
> running IE - which I haven't used for ages, even when I had my PC, I ran
> Firefox and I run FF on my Mac, too). Have you visited the Java website (I
> think you can work out the URL) and downloaded it from there? It's an
> automatic download and will take about 5 minutes on a standard (512kbps)
> broadband connection.
>
> No technology is "freeware" - only software can be given such a label and
> technologies aren't software. If you wanted to buy a licence to develop using
> any technology, you'd find that it was very costly. What you're referring to
> isn't the technology itself, but the plugin that will allow you to access an
> application or web content, that was created using that technology.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "too new of a program' (poor grammar
> notwithstanding). Java isn't new - it's been around for a decade (it first
> appeared in March 1995).
>
> Does that clarify things a little? If not, post back.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:03:02 +0100, ctaulbee wrote
(in article <8EFAC0DE-45BC-4AAB-8FDE-EF8361794E6D@microsoft.com>):

> Evadne,
> yes, you clarified quite a bit. It has been since the late '80's when I
> worked with computers in school. I have not kept up and am "relearning"
> much. Unfortunately, I cann't do it overnite....
> Yes, I run IE on a Dell. I have been considering Foxfire. But have a
> husband who listens to another friend who is unfamilier with Foxfire.
> Patience will pay off eventually...
> As mentioned in another thread, I had one version of Java, which did not
> work to show the applets. I did visit their site and downloaded the "virtual

> machine" with success.
> Thanks for taking the time to correct. I know it's comp. 101, but I have
> almost 20 years of catching up. :(

It's 'Firefox', not "Foxfire". ;o) And I won't be mean enough to correct the
rest of your spelling... ;o) (but it's "familiar")

Oh and you're welcome. Oh and tell your husband Firefox is more secure than
IE and has many advantages (not least tabbed browsing). There really isn't
anything different about it and, what there is, is all positive. Download it,
install it, make it default and he won't have a choice... ;o) <eg>