Set Priority above average in task manager

Hello. This is actually a question for my 82 year old father. I know this
is a Windows XP newsgroup.But the Win 2000 newsgroup I just looked at gets
maybe one post a day, so I thought I'd ask here.Of course by now you've
surmised that my father runs Windows 2000 (on a P3).

I bought him a Microsoft/Atari card games CD because he like these types
of games. I made sure the CD I bought said it was compatible with Windows
2000 because as far as I can figure out, Windows 2000 isn't compatible
with games that run on Win 98 or Win XP unless it was also made to run on
a Win 2000 machine (?? yes/no ??)

Anyway the program that runs the games works - but the mouse was all
screwed up - it would work kind of but was usually invisible and it would
leave pieces of a trail behind ocasionally. I made sure to set all Win
2000 mouse config settings to absolute basics (standard compatible mouse
driver) but still the problem.

By going into the task manager and setting "set priority" one step up to
"above average" all works fine with the mouse in this program.. But my
father is old and stubborn and doesn't want to have to open the task
manager each time he wants to access this program and set the priority to
above average.

So my question is, how do I assign this program to always use the "set
priority" to "above average" by default so the program opens to that
setting automatically when started?

Thank you if you know and answer..

...D.

....D. wrote:
> So my question is, how do I assign this program to always use the "set
> priority" to "above average" by default so the program opens to that
> setting automatically when started?
>
> Thank you if you know and answer..

Don't know if start has the same switch in 2000 or not, but in XP the
start utility allows you to pass the priority on the command line. So a
command line to start something above normal would be:

start /ABOVENORMAL notepad.exe

Note that not all programs respect the priority switch passed from
start, but it is worth a try. If it works, change the command on the
shortcut that your father uses to launch the game to include the start
/ABOVENORMAL command.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows