XP Home vs XP Pro

i am getting ready to get a new computer, i have been using win95b
forever. One of the options i have is weather i want xp home or xp
pro?
i like e-mail,news groups and downloading new programs to play with.
thanks ahead of time.
5 answers Last reply
More about home

    yar <yar@cavenet.com> wrote:

    >i am getting ready to get a new computer, i have been using win95b
    >forever. One of the options i have is weather i want xp home or xp
    >pro?
    >i like e-mail,news groups and downloading new programs to play with.
    >thanks ahead of time.

    Which version of Windows XP?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    One additional difference, which is not specifically mentioned on the
    above sites, is that in a peer-to-peer network configuration XP Home
    only allows 5 concurrent logins to a shared network resource whereas
    XP Pro allows 10.

    From what you have said, I suspect that XP Home will be fully adequate
    for your needs.

    Note that Windows XP will not install as an upgrade from your existing
    Windows XP. You will have to do a clean install.

    However, you can use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" in
    Windows XP to save your user data files and program configuration
    settings to another hard drive partition, a network drive, or a
    removable backup device such as a CDRW drive or tape. See the article
    by MVP Gary Woodruff at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Also you can use a retail upgrade version of Windows XP *provided* you
    have the original installation diskettes or CD for your Windows 95
    available to insert during the install process to substantiate your
    eligibility to use the upgrade version. The package says Windows 98
    or later is needed, but Windows 95 disks will work in this way, even
    though installed Windows 95 will not upgrade.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    In news:7eshf1h8nkf7sqcds94rchei6sprrgj50e@4ax.com,
    yar <yar@cavenet.com> typed:

    > i am getting ready to get a new computer, i have been using
    > win95b
    > forever. One of the options i have is weather i want xp home or
    > xp
    > pro?
    > i like e-mail,news groups and downloading new programs to play
    > with.
    > thanks ahead of time.

    It sounds like Home Edition would be fine for you, and
    Professional isn't needed, but read the following to be sure.

    XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all respects,
    except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
    networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
    all) home users, even those with a home network, these features
    aren't needed, would never be used, and buying Professional
    instead of Home is a waste of money.

    For details go to

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
    connections, and Home only five.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Windows XP Comparison Guide"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "yar" <yar@cavenet.com> wrote in message
    > i am getting ready to get a new computer, i have been using win95b
    > forever. One of the options i have is weather i want xp home or xp
    > pro?
    > i like e-mail,news groups and downloading new programs to play with.
    > thanks ahead of time.

    thanks for your quick response. i went and looked through the
    comparison chart and have to choose xp pro !

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:26:59 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    blurted forth:

    yar wrote:
    > i am getting ready to get a new computer, i have been using win95b
    > forever. One of the options i have is weather i want xp home or xp
    > pro?
    > i like e-mail,news groups and downloading new programs to play with.
    > thanks ahead of time.

    The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it comes
    to performance, stability, and device driver and software application
    compatibility, but are intended to meet different functionality,
    networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments.
    The most significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
    simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
    only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain (a crucial
    capability at most universities) while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP
    Pro supports file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs
    roughly $100 USD more than WinXP Home.)

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Which Edition Is Right for You
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: