my documents folder question

hi,
in windows explorer I have 2 files I have a question on:
I have My Documents and Sheila's Documents. both files have the exact same
files and folders in them. may I safely eliminate one of them? if I
eliminate one of them which one would be preferable? will it be rebuilt
after I eliminate it? thanks for the help
Sheila

In news:e7wQ85dnFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
sheila jones <shehar@adelphia.net> typed:

> in windows explorer I have 2 files

Not really. First you mean "folders," not files."

> I have a question on:
> I have My Documents and Sheila's Documents. both files have
> the
> exact same files and folders in them.

That's because they are actually *not* two separate folders, but
just two presentations, or views, of the same thing.

> may I safely eliminate one of
> them?

No. Anything you do to either will be relected in the other.
Experiment yourself to see that this is true. Create a test file
and save it. Then look in My Computer and you'll see it in both.

Now delete it from one place and you'll see that it's gone from
both.

This is normal and by design.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> if I eliminate one of them which one would be preferable? will
> it be rebuilt after I eliminate it? thanks for the help
> Sheila

Gordon

sheila jones wrote:
> hi,
> in windows explorer I have 2 files I have a question on:
> I have My Documents and Sheila's Documents. both files have the
> exact same files and folders in them. may I safely eliminate one of
> them? if I eliminate one of them which one would be preferable? will it
> be rebuilt after I eliminate it? thanks for the help
> Sheila

You can't "eliminate" either without "eliminating" both. One is just a
"view" of the other.

pops

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

Like others have said, it's one folder, really, with
two views.
If you log into Shiela's account, you probably won't
see the Sheila's Documents (unless you created it
yourself) because Sheila only needs to see her own My
Documents, so it's called My Documents.
But if you log in as anyone else you'll see My
Documents for that user, and Sheils's documents for
Sheila, and any other accounts that exist. You
probably created an account for Sheila but are signing
on into a different account.
Or, you might have two similarly named accounts
without realizing it, and are seeing the "other"
Sheila's Documents. In which case, delete the account
you don't want. But don't delete the "___ Documents"
folder; it's a system folder and needs to exist. You
delete it by deleting the account.

HTH,

Pop