Glad my phone does analog

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 11, 2004 5:17:02 PM

Just returned from camping just south of Malone, NY and central Maine. Both
times my phone went to analog (SCH-A650) to sendf and receice calls. My
friend with his camera phone (all digital) had no service. He was snapping
pictures but unable to upload them, or even call his family. He had to use
my phone.

Just a friendly reminder to those who might be thinking of purchasing a new
phone. And this is the first time we went camping in 6 years!

Bob

More about : glad phone analog

July 11, 2004 5:17:03 PM

It's also convenient to be able to understand
a conversation without having to listen to
a constant nasal buzz. ;-)
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 5:17:03 PM

Most of rural Oregon has zero cellular service. It's just a matter of how
many miles from the highway or interstate you can get before you lose signal
and yes, I am saying the posted maps are simply dead wrong in many cases,
and most folks never really venture out to verify this. I don't consider
this a major problem because these are also areas with very low population
density, and none of the cows, grass fields, or mountains really need to
make a call.

Typically coverage tightly follows interstates and highways, so to
experience what I'm talking about you need to be driving somewhere on a
country or forest road. For me this happens at least once a week, and in
many cases the only game in town is analog (if any). Not because the
vendors don't supply digital, but because the distance is too great for the
timing to work. i.e. You climb a mountain to find full digital signal from
several providers, none of which is usable. You force analog and the call
goes through. Most of my hiking is in the cascade mountain range, and like
I say, analog is the only option when you're out there.

There's other examples of this closer in to towns, especially in rugged
coastal areas which are notoriously hard to cover (and really many places in
the west are like this). Anyway, I find it hard to believe there are people
who haven't been to places on a regular basis with no cellular service (my
travel patterns frequently take me to these places). Go out to Dorena lake
just east of Cottage Grove (only a few miles from I5) and note that there is
neither A or B side analog anywhere out row river road, brice creek, etc
(just to name one specific area close to home) and yes folks live out there,
they just use their cell phones when in town, or don't carry one.

Here in Oregon, there are even major highways with zero service i.e. 138
between crater lake NP/diamond lake and I5, and most areas along 42 between
Roseburg and Bandon just to name a couple more. In other words, the game
here in Oregon is to try and maximize the coverage you do have (i.e. Choose
one of the 800 Mhz carriers with analog for fallback), use an external car
antenna, etc. I don't have a 3W bag phone, but if I did, I'd use it.

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

"RobertP" <RobertP@kploh.net> wrote in message
> Just returned from camping just south of Malone, NY and central Maine.
> Both
> times my phone went to analog (SCH-A650) to sendf and receice calls. My
> friend with his camera phone (all digital) had no service. He was
> snapping
> pictures but unable to upload them, or even call his family. He had to
> use
> my phone.
>
> Just a friendly reminder to those who might be thinking of purchasing a
> new
> phone. And this is the first time we went camping in 6 years!
>
> Bob

Related resources
July 11, 2004 5:24:05 PM

JEEZ!!!
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 11:09:43 PM

Some time around Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:17:02 GMT (give or take a month), someone who says they are
named "RobertP" <RobertP@kploh.net> fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled on about:

>Just returned from camping just south of Malone, NY and central Maine. Both

The Adirondack Mountains are tough for signals, so it is nice to have that analog option.

-W
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 4:23:10 AM

That's why I still have mine. I love digital. But when it counts, it's good
to have a fall back. ;-)

Scotty

"Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote in message
> Most of rural Oregon has zero cellular service. It's just a matter of how

<snip>

!