frailimbnursry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
Please help me if you can.

I just bought the Neo-2-F1SR after reading the review on tomshardware.com The first board googlegear sent me never powered on, it did nothing. I sent it back and just got the replacement board today. Luckily it powers up, and this ugly light starts blinking. The fans ran and everything seemed to work. I noticed the monitor wasn't coming out of sleep mode. I took the video card out, and put it in my roommates pc and it worked fine. I realized then that the bios beep never beeped, and the light on the keyboard never turned on. Is it just another faulty motherboard, or is there anytihng left for me to try?

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
We'll need some more specs before we can give you a better answer. What type of Video card, RAM, CPU, etc. What size is your PSU?

Also, you might want to cruise the MSI forum, they have some useful tips over there as well.

<A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/main.php" target="_new">MSI Forum</A>

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Quantum 6GB
LG24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K Pro.

frailimbnursry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
I'll head over to the MSI forums right after this.

VideoCard - Abit Siluro G4Ti4600
CPU - P4 2.4c
RAM - 2 sticks of 256 PC2100 DDR
PSU - 350w

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
PSU sounds OK. Not to sound condecending, but is the mobo installed properly? Its not grounding out somewhere it shouldn't? What about the CPU? Is it installed properly with HSF? Did you use thermal paste?

Other that taht, sounds like a bad board. Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Quantum 6GB
LG24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K Pro.

frailimbnursry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
No, I didn't use thermal paste.

The board powers on, doesn't that eliminate it grounding out?
I don't know if the CPU is running fine.. I can't get a boot beep, or screen or anything, the monitor never tusn on, the keyboard never lights up.

This is the replacement board they sent me for another bad one. I'd hate to think, that I got 2 bad boards.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
No thermal paste? Dood, thats a good way to fry your CPU. You need a layer of paste between the CPU and HSF, or your CPU will seriously overheat. Could be its not a bad board at all, maybe a fried CPU? Can you check the CPU in another mobo? Or better yet, can you get your hands on another CPU to try in that board?

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Quantum 6GB
LG24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K Pro.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read the first post in this forum, titled "Motherboards FAQ", check all the "no post" resolutions, and get back to us.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

frailimbnursry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
I actually got it working, it boots and everything is detected. I removed a stick of memory from slot 1 and booted it with only the 2nd stick. Nothing worked. I changed the 2nd stick to slot 1, and it booted. I put the 2nd stick in slot 2 and it still booted.

I still have a major problem, I can't install windows, everytime I try to install it, I get a blue screen telling me:

Windows is shutting down to prevent damage to my computer.
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

...followed by a bunch of isntructions to check software drivers, BIOS updates, etc, things I can't do anyway.

It should be a hardware problem right? I don't even have Windows installed, I formatted the HDD thinking it was Windows in the first place. Is it RAM, or an HDD problem?

Edit: What's normal temp. for a P4 2.4c<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by frailimbnursry on 09/20/03 03:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>