Completely remove old XP Home install

I need to completely remove a previous install of XP home... After formatting
the hd I re-installed and now have 2 XP home edition choices on the boot
start up.

Now what?

Arron,
I would reformat and reinstall the operating system, with duplicate
files you are going to continually run in to problems.

"Arron" wrote:

> I need to completely remove a previous install of XP home... After formatting
> the hd I re-installed and now have 2 XP home edition choices on the boot
> start up.
>
> Now what?

Hi,

If you formatted you would not have two instances of WinXP Home installed.

First, is there actually two working installations? Try both. If one fails,
then you can remove it by editing boot.ini manually, or by using the 'check
all boot paths' button on the boot.ini tab of msconfig.

If there are two full installations, boot to the one you wish to keep, then
delete the system folders for the other one. Again, to remove the reference
to the second installation at boot, use the msconfig button referred to
above.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Arron Wrote:
> I need to completely remove a previous install of XP home... After
> formatting
> the hd I re-installed and now have 2 XP home edition choices on the
> boot
> start up.
>
> Now what?

I would do the same as mentioned in the above post. Put the XP CD in
the drive and reboot and start from there again. When you come to the
screen where it shows you all of your partitions, DELETE them all and
create a new partition. Of course, you don't have to create just ONE,
you can create multiple partitions and format them later if you wish.
My point is, install XP on the newly created partition to make sure you
don't have any future problems whatsoever. Hope that helps.

--
Evolution54