Administrator acct. set up.

Linus

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

When I installed my new XP Pro OS I understood that there was an adm. account
created automatically, and a picture appeared in my start window. but nothing
ever appeared on the welcome screen and I never needed to sign in.

I wanted to set this up with a password, so I went to user accounts and
entered a password. when I rebooted the picture and password box were there,
but there was no name. I signed on with no problem, returned to user accts.
and entered "Administrator" for the account name. When I clicked "Change the
name" button I get this message:

An account named administrator already exists, enter a different name.

If I am the administrator why can't I change my name? Where did I go wrong?
apparently I need to make myself an administrator account and a user account.
Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Linus
--
Linusverl

Linus wrote:
> When I installed my new XP Pro OS I understood that there was an adm.
> account created automatically, and a picture appeared in my start
> window. but nothing ever appeared on the welcome screen and I never
> needed to sign in.
>
> I wanted to set this up with a password, so I went to user accounts
> and entered a password. when I rebooted the picture and password box
> were there, but there was no name. I signed on with no problem,
> returned to user accts. and entered "Administrator" for the account
> name. When I clicked "Change the name" button I get this message:
>
> An account named administrator already exists, enter a different name.
>
> If I am the administrator why can't I change my name? Where did I go
> wrong? apparently I need to make myself an administrator account and
> a user account. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

XP Home?
If so, "Administrator" is a reserved name - as it is the name of the account
that you can only use in Safe mode.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

The default account that you are referring to is an administrator account,
and should not be used for everyday purposes. It's your "if anything goes
wrong and you can't fix it through your regular accounts, then try using the
default (built-in) admin account." If you don't create another ( user)
account while setting up your system, then the default will be the one you
use to access your system, and as it is already named administrator, even
though it is not showing as such, you cannot change it to what it already is
named.
You can, from that account, setup other users with varying account rights,
Administrator and Limited.
You want the admin. rights, but you don't want to use the built-in admin
account, so set yourself up with a new account, that has admin rights, but
you cannot 'name' it administrator, as the message indicated. If for some
reason, you at any time are permitted to name 2 different users
'administrator', you will find that it can cause problems within your os.
So, it's best to name your account something else, your own name, or
whatever. You can also create a Limited account, then you will see the
Limited account, as well as your account on the Welcome screen when logging
in.

> Linus wrote:
>> When I installed my new XP Pro OS I understood that there was an adm.
>> account created automatically, and a picture appeared in my start
>> window. but nothing ever appeared on the welcome screen and I never
>> needed to sign in.
>>
>> I wanted to set this up with a password, so I went to user accounts
>> and entered a password. when I rebooted the picture and password box
>> were there, but there was no name. I signed on with no problem,
>> returned to user accts. and entered "Administrator" for the account
>> name. When I clicked "Change the name" button I get this message:
>>
>> An account named administrator already exists, enter a different name.
>>
>> If I am the administrator why can't I change my name? Where did I go
>> wrong? apparently I need to make myself an administrator account and
>> a user account. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
>
> XP Home?
> If so, "Administrator" is a reserved name - as it is the name of the
> account that you can only use in Safe mode.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

As they have told you, "Administrator" name is just what you cannot
change. The best choice it to create a new administrator account (which
cannot use "Administrator" naem but another one).

--
www.fermu.com

"Linus" <Linusverl@mspamn.com> escribió en el mensaje
> When I installed my new XP Pro OS I understood that there was an adm.
> account
> created automatically, and a picture appeared in my start window. but
> nothing
> ever appeared on the welcome screen and I never needed to sign in.
>
> I wanted to set this up with a password, so I went to user accounts
> and
> entered a password. when I rebooted the picture and password box were
> there,
> but there was no name. I signed on with no problem, returned to user
> accts.
> and entered "Administrator" for the account name. When I clicked
> "Change the
> name" button I get this message:
>
> An account named administrator already exists, enter a different name.
>
> If I am the administrator why can't I change my name? Where did I go
> wrong?
> apparently I need to make myself an administrator account and a user
> account.
> Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
>
> Linus
> --
> Linusverl

Linus

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Thank you all, I am very grateful for your quick replys. As I understand, you
are telling me that the original Adm. account that originated when I
installed the OS is presently buried some where for emergency use only, but
the new account I created today on the welcome screen will work if I just
name it something besides "Administrator".

Ok. But the only password I have ever created is the one today, so will that
password also work on the buried or hidden "Administrator" account?

Thanks again for your prompt attention.

--
Linusverl

"José Gallardo" wrote:

> As they have told you, "Administrator" name is just what you cannot
> change. The best choice it to create a new administrator account (which
> cannot use "Administrator" naem but another one).
>
> --
> www.fermu.com
>

> "Linus" <Linusverl@mspamn.com> escribió en el mensaje
> > When I installed my new XP Pro OS I understood that there was an adm.
> > account
> > created automatically, and a picture appeared in my start window. but
> > nothing
> > ever appeared on the welcome screen and I never needed to sign in.
> >
> > I wanted to set this up with a password, so I went to user accounts
> > and
> > entered a password. when I rebooted the picture and password box were
> > there,
> > but there was no name. I signed on with no problem, returned to user
> > accts.
> > and entered "Administrator" for the account name. When I clicked
> > "Change the
> > name" button I get this message:
> >
> > An account named administrator already exists, enter a different name.
> >
> > If I am the administrator why can't I change my name? Where did I go
> > wrong?
> > apparently I need to make myself an administrator account and a user
> > account.
> > Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
> >
> > Linus
> > --
> > Linusverl

To create a new Administratror account you must login "Administrator"
account. As you created password, you must type it. Then, go to Start >
Control Panel > User accounts and create a new one. Next time you start
XP "Administrator" will disappear and you "only" have new account
available.
To see "Administrator" account, click Ctrl+Alt+Del twice on welcome
screen and there it is!
Perhaps too many quotes in my explanation?

--

> Thank you all, I am very grateful for your quick replys. As I
> understand, you
> are telling me that the original Adm. account that originated when I
> installed the OS is presently buried some where for emergency use
> only, but
> the new account I created today on the welcome screen will work if I
> just
> name it something besides "Administrator".
>
> Ok. But the only password I have ever created is the one today, so
> will that
> password also work on the buried or hidden "Administrator" account?
>
> Thanks again for your prompt attention.
>
> --
> Linusverl
>

> "José Gallardo" wrote:
>
>> As they have told you, "Administrator" name is just what you cannot
>> change. The best choice it to create a new administrator account
>> (which
>> cannot use "Administrator" naem but another one).
>>
>> --
>> www.fermu.com
>>

>> "Linus" <Linusverl@mspamn.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> > When I installed my new XP Pro OS I understood that there was an
>> > adm.
>> > account
>> > created automatically, and a picture appeared in my start window.
>> > but
>> > nothing
>> > ever appeared on the welcome screen and I never needed to sign in.
>> >
>> > I wanted to set this up with a password, so I went to user accounts
>> > and
>> > entered a password. when I rebooted the picture and password box
>> > were
>> > there,
>> > but there was no name. I signed on with no problem, returned to
>> > user
>> > accts.
>> > and entered "Administrator" for the account name. When I clicked
>> > "Change the
>> > name" button I get this message:
>> >
>> > An account named administrator already exists, enter a different
>> > name.
>> >
>> > If I am the administrator why can't I change my name? Where did I
>> > go
>> > wrong?
>> > apparently I need to make myself an administrator account and a
>> > user
>> > account.
>> > Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Linus
>> > --
>> > Linusverl

If you created a password for the built-in admin account, yes, that password
will still apply, however, DO NOT FORGET that password. It is not really a
good idea to apply a password to that account, at least I don't think it's a
good idea, some may disagree. If you create a user account for yourself from
the user account in control panel, you can apply a password for that
account, which will prevent others from accessing it. Then, to restrict
other users from that built -in account, when you create their account, give
them 'Limited' rights. That way, they cannot access your built-in admin
account, therefore they cannot make any significant changes to your system.
Once you create your own user account with admin rights, you can still
access the built-in account via safe mode, and I believe with XP Pro, you
can hit Ctrl-Alt-delete twice while you are on the Welcome screen, and that,
too, will bring you to the built-in Admin account.

Click on these links for more detailed info.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_c_account_types.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298252

http://emea.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/40721/40721.html

"Linus" <Linusverl@mspamn.com> wrote in message
> Thank you all, I am very grateful for your quick replys. As I understand,
> you
> are telling me that the original Adm. account that originated when I
> installed the OS is presently buried some where for emergency use only,
> but
> the new account I created today on the welcome screen will work if I just
> name it something besides "Administrator".
>
> Ok. But the only password I have ever created is the one today, so will
> that
> password also work on the buried or hidden "Administrator" account?
>
> Thanks again for your prompt attention.
>
> --
> Linusverl
>

> "José Gallardo" wrote:
>
>> As they have told you, "Administrator" name is just what you cannot
>> change. The best choice it to create a new administrator account (which
>> cannot use "Administrator" naem but another one).
>>
>> --
>> www.fermu.com
>>

>> "Linus" <Linusverl@mspamn.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> > When I installed my new XP Pro OS I understood that there was an adm.
>> > account
>> > created automatically, and a picture appeared in my start window. but
>> > nothing
>> > ever appeared on the welcome screen and I never needed to sign in.
>> >
>> > I wanted to set this up with a password, so I went to user accounts
>> > and
>> > entered a password. when I rebooted the picture and password box were
>> > there,
>> > but there was no name. I signed on with no problem, returned to user
>> > accts.
>> > and entered "Administrator" for the account name. When I clicked
>> > "Change the
>> > name" button I get this message:
>> >
>> > An account named administrator already exists, enter a different name.
>> >
>> > If I am the administrator why can't I change my name? Where did I go
>> > wrong?
>> > apparently I need to make myself an administrator account and a user
>> > account.
>> > Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Linus
>> > --
>> > Linusverl

Linus

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Linusverl

"lvee" wrote:

> If you created a password for the built-in admin account, yes, that password
> will still apply, however, DO NOT FORGET that password. It is not really a
> good idea to apply a password to that account, at least I don't think it's a
> good idea, some may disagree. If you create a user account for yourself from
> the user account in control panel, you can apply a password for that
> account, which will prevent others from accessing it. Then, to restrict
> other users from that built -in account, when you create their account, give
> them 'Limited' rights. That way, they cannot access your built-in admin
> account, therefore they cannot make any significant changes to your system.
> Once you create your own user account with admin rights, you can still
> access the built-in account via safe mode, and I believe with XP Pro, you
> can hit Ctrl-Alt-delete twice while you are on the Welcome screen, and that,
> too, will bring you to the built-in Admin account.
>
> Click on these links for more detailed info.
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_c_account_types.mspx
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298252
>
> http://emea.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/40721/40721.html
>

> "Linus" <Linusverl@mspamn.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you all, I am very grateful for your quick replys. As I understand,
> > you
> > are telling me that the original Adm. account that originated when I
> > installed the OS is presently buried some where for emergency use only,
> > but
> > the new account I created today on the welcome screen will work if I just
> > name it something besides "Administrator".
> >
> > Ok. But the only password I have ever created is the one today, so will
> > that
> > password also work on the buried or hidden "Administrator" account?
> >
> > Thanks again for your prompt attention.
> >
> > --
> > Linusverl
> >

> > "José Gallardo" wrote:
> >
> >> As they have told you, "Administrator" name is just what you cannot
> >> change. The best choice it to create a new administrator account (which
> >> cannot use "Administrator" naem but another one).
> >>
> >> --
> >> www.fermu.com
> >>

> >> "Linus" <Linusverl@mspamn.com> escribió en el mensaje

> >>Thanks again to all of you. I followed your instructions and I my welcome window now shows an Administrators account named "Controller." Password and everything seem to work Ok. I did the Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice on the welcome window, The sign on window that appears works Ok if I use "Controller" for the name and the same password. Every thing now appears to be as it should be and with your help, my problem is solved.

Good Job!

> --
> Linusverl
>

> "lvee" wrote:
>
>> If you created a password for the built-in admin account, yes, that
>> password
>> will still apply, however, DO NOT FORGET that password. It is not really
>> good idea to apply a password to that account, at least I don't think
>> it's a
>> good idea, some may disagree. If you create a user account for yourself
>> from
>> the user account in control panel, you can apply a password for that
>> account, which will prevent others from accessing it. Then, to restrict
>> other users from that built -in account, when you create their account,
>> give
>> them 'Limited' rights. That way, they cannot access your built-in admin
>> account, therefore they cannot make any significant changes to your
>> system.
>> Once you create your own user account with admin rights, you can still
>> access the built-in account via safe mode, and I believe with XP Pro, you
>> can hit Ctrl-Alt-delete twice while you are on the Welcome screen, and
>> that,
>> too, will bring you to the built-in Admin account.
>>
>> Click on these links for more detailed info.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_c_account_types.mspx
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298252
>>
>> http://emea.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/40721/40721.html
>>

>> "Linus" <Linusverl@mspamn.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you all, I am very grateful for your quick replys. As I
>> > understand,
>> > you
>> > are telling me that the original Adm. account that originated when I
>> > installed the OS is presently buried some where for emergency use only,
>> > but
>> > the new account I created today on the welcome screen will work if I
>> > just
>> > name it something besides "Administrator".
>> >
>> > Ok. But the only password I have ever created is the one today, so will
>> > that
>> > password also work on the buried or hidden "Administrator" account?
>> >
>> > Thanks again for your prompt attention.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Linusverl

Glad you got it worked out :)