False attachment icon on outgoing outlook express

August 13, 2005 6:35:46 AM

Windows XP Home
Out-look Express
Would anyone know why the paperclip icon show on all my outgoing
outgoing express mail when there is no attachment. Some people
think I am sending malware.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-False-attachment...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1354431
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 11:17:11 AM

Hi Jim,

Send me an email at rick@mvps.org and I'll see if I can tell you why. I
suspect that you are using OE in html mode, and the recipients are set to
plain text only. In those cases, their mail program will see the added info
to support html as an attachment.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"JimCrow" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home
> Out-look Express
> Would anyone know why the paperclip icon show on all my outgoing
> outgoing express mail when there is no attachment. Some people
> think I am sending malware.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-False-attachment...
August 13, 2005 7:24:36 PM

As Rick says, it's because you send using HTML and the recipients are
reading in plain text.
=======================================

"JimCrow" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home
> Out-look Express
> Would anyone know why the paperclip icon show on all my outgoing
> outgoing express mail when there is no attachment. Some people
> think I am sending malware.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-False-attachment...
August 13, 2005 9:42:49 PM

JimCrow wrote:
> Windows XP Home
> Out-look Express
> Would anyone know why the paperclip icon show on all my outgoing
> outgoing express mail when there is no attachment. Some people
> think I am sending malware.

As Rick says, it's because you send using HTML and the recipients are
reading in plain text. In this case the "attachment" is the HTML
rendering of your message.

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Surprisingly enough, the email Jim sent me was not html. He is also having a
problem with the system bring up blank IE pages when he types in an email
address. I have referred him to some of the IE/OE groups for further
assistance.

--

"Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o cRjKYCoFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> JimCrow wrote:
>> Windows XP Home
>> Out-look Express
>> Would anyone know why the paperclip icon show on all my outgoing
>> outgoing express mail when there is no attachment. Some people
>> think I am sending malware.
>
> As Rick says, it's because you send using HTML and the recipients are
> reading in plain text. In this case the "attachment" is the HTML rendering
> of your message.
>
> --
> Kath Adams
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 3:38:50 AM

In that case it could also be caused by AVG email scanning, which he
should disable as it affords no added protection.

Kath

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Surprisingly enough, the email Jim sent me was not html. He is also
> having a problem with the system bring up blank IE pages when he
> types in an email address. I have referred him to some of the IE/OE
> groups for further assistance.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o cRjKYCoFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> JimCrow wrote:
>>> Windows XP Home
>>> Out-look Express
>>> Would anyone know why the paperclip icon show on all my outgoing
>>> outgoing express mail when there is no attachment. Some people
>>> think I am sending malware.
>>
>> As Rick says, it's because you send using HTML and the recipients are
>> reading in plain text. In this case the "attachment" is the HTML
>> rendering of your message.
>>
>> --
>> Kath Adams
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 12:07:18 PM

Good catch Kath, I hadn't thought of that. However, the email source code
doesn't show AVG but rather Symantec as the mail scanner in use. Knowing
Symantec, that could very well be the source of the problem too.

--

news:o EXbGfFoFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In that case it could also be caused by AVG email scanning, which he
> should disable as it affords no added protection.
>
> Kath
>

> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Surprisingly enough, the email Jim sent me was not html. He is also
>> having a problem with the system bring up blank IE pages when he
>> types in an email address. I have referred him to some of the IE/OE
>> groups for further assistance.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o cRjKYCoFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> As Rick says, it's because you send using HTML and the recipients are
>>> reading in plain text. In this case the "attachment" is the HTML
>>> rendering of your message.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kath Adams
>>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:33:43 PM

Could be, email scanning causes more problems than it's supposed to fix!
Norton and (even worse) McAfee are not recommeded as good playmates with
OE.
I know it's a known problem with AVG and the OE plugin.

Kath

!