Thermaltake Silent Boost and A7N8X DX problem

esenquei

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2003
Hello all, this is my first post here and Im hoping someone can help me...

Here are my specs:
Athlon XP 2400+ Retail
Asus A7N8X Deluxe 400Mhz
512 Corsair TwinxLL
IBM Deskstar 120GB
LiteOn 52x CDRW
Mitsumi Floppy
4x case fans
THermaltake Silentpower 420W
Win2K

I have just switched from retail to the Silent Boost and my system would power up but not go into the boot sequence, it would just stay hanging with a black screen. I disconnected the two case fans I had running directly from the motherboard and the system booted, but stayed hanging on the ASUS splash screen. On the splash screen I pressed tab to go to POST screen and my processor and memory would post, but then it would hang when detecting the IDE drives. I noticed a clanking noise on the hard drive and given the poor reliability record of IBM drives, I surely thought this was the problem. However, I went ahead and disconnected the CDRW which was set as master on the secondary IDE connector on the MB and the system posted and booted up to the OS fine! Now I then left the IDE cable connected to the secondarty connector on the MB and disconnected it from the CDRW itself and it wouldnt work...

Please note that before switching the heatsink, system was running perfectly. Also, I used an antistatic mat and wriststrap when installing the new HS.

Does anybody have an idea of what is going on? Is the IDE controller dead or fried?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
sounds like a faulty power supply to me. Try switching it out with another.

Another possibility is a heat issue... What are your temps?
When you installed your new HSF, what thermal interface material did you use, and did you clean the old gunk off the processor?

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

esenquei

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2003
I don't think heat is the problem. The mobo temps were at 34C and CPU was 38C idle.

Power Supply could be an issue, but I wasn't having any problems before I installed the Silent Boost. Does that HS have such outrageous power requirements, compared to the retail cooler, as to destabilize my whole system?

Thanks for your response!