Closed

Files and Folders View changed

When I open files and folders I no longer have the tasks and links to
perform certain functions displayed to the far left of the file\folder.
Instead, now I have two panes--a panel which displays all folders, drives,
etc. on the left-hand side and the individual files and folders listed on
the right-hand side. What happened?
I'm using Windows XP SP2. Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about files folders view changed

    What happens if you click the Folder button in the Toolbar or click on the
    Close [X] on the Folders pane? Does the Common Tasks pane appear?

    Check this setting if the Common Tasks pane doesn't appear...

    [[You can display hyperlinks to common tasks in the left pane of your folder
    windows. The links provide quick access to file and folder management
    activities and other places on your computer, such as My Computer, Shared
    Documents, and My Network Places. Windows displays these links by default,
    so they may already be displayed in your folders. If they are not, you can
    use Folder Options to enable this feature.]]

    Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
    General tab | ? Show common tasks in folders

    Show common tasks in folders
    [[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on your
    computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
    the folder window.]]

    Enable or disable Common Tasks pane in folders
    http://www.winxptutor.com/commontasks.htm

    If the Common Tasks pane does appear...

    Is Explore set to default instead of Open?

    Right click a folder, you should see Open, Explore and Search. Which one is
    in BOLD letters? That one is the default. Open should be the one you want
    as default.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OCDeusEoFHA.1204@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    JE Timothy <jenkins_t@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:08:39 -0400, JE Timothy wrote:

    > When I open files and folders I no longer have the tasks and links to
    > perform certain functions displayed to the far left of the file\folder.
    > Instead, now I have two panes--a panel which displays all folders, drives,
    > etc. on the left-hand side and the individual files and folders listed on
    > the right-hand side. What happened?
    > I'm using Windows XP SP2. Thanks.

    Wesley's told you how to turn common tasks back on. Thought I would add the
    following as you might find it useful later on:

    I have Folder Options> General setup to display the "common tasks" pane
    -this is the column with the tasks and links to perform different
    functions. Then in Windows Explorer, I added a Folders button to the
    Standard toolbar (right click toolbar, click Customize, use next window to
    add Folders button). This way I can easily click that button to switch back
    and forth between folder view with common tasks and the old-fashioned 2
    pane Explore view.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thank you Sharon & Wesley - Things are working fine once again. I appreciate
    it!

    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:08:39 -0400, JE Timothy wrote:
    >
    >> When I open files and folders I no longer have the tasks and links to
    >> perform certain functions displayed to the far left of the file\folder.
    >> Instead, now I have two panes--a panel which displays all folders,
    >> drives,
    >> etc. on the left-hand side and the individual files and folders listed on
    >> the right-hand side. What happened?
    >> I'm using Windows XP SP2. Thanks.
    >
    > Wesley's told you how to turn common tasks back on. Thought I would add
    > the
    > following as you might find it useful later on:
    >
    > I have Folder Options> General setup to display the "common tasks" pane
    > -this is the column with the tasks and links to perform different
    > functions. Then in Windows Explorer, I added a Folders button to the
    > Standard toolbar (right click toolbar, click Customize, use next window to
    > add Folders button). This way I can easily click that button to switch
    > back
    > and forth between folder view with common tasks and the old-fashioned 2
    > pane Explore view.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User