help.. RDRAM motherboards

lord_tyranus2

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
a friend of mine already has 1 gig of RDRAM from his Dell and would like to use it for a new computer. However, when I look up RDRAM motherboards, very few are available and none of them have 800 Mhz FSB or 8x AGP. Anyone have any suggestions?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
RDRAM support is dead. There aren't any RDRAM mobos that will support the new features you list.

If he does get an older mobo, he'll have to put up with 533FSB, no dual channel, etc.

In all honesty, he'd be better off selling the RAM to someone else, and just buying some PC3200 DDR Ram, and a nice new mobo/CPU, e.g. Asus P4P800 & a 2.6C P4... It'll cream anything he could build around the RDRAM.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

lord_tyranus2

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
Who would buy the RDRAM if the support for it is dead? I'll tell him to do that though.

Sucks to let it go to waste, considering the cost of it. But for 800 Mhz FSB I guess it can't be helped.

splash

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
ABIT ANNOUNCES FIRST MOTHERBOARD SUPPORTING 1200MHZ RDRAM® MEMORY
... History / / Research Development / / Customer Services / / Future Outlook / / Contacts / / ABIT ANNOUNCES FIRST MOTHERBOARD SUPPORTING 1200MHZ RDRAM® MEMORY Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C., January 23, 2003 ABIT Computer Corporation proudly announces the SI7 motherboard featuring the SiS R658 chipset and Samsung ...
http://www.abit-usa.com/news/2003/20030123b.php 06/06/03, 20180 bytes

ABIT Computer Corporation proudly announces the SI7 motherboard featuring the SiS R658 chipset and Samsung Electronics' 1200MHz RDRAM® memory. Developed jointly with Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS), a leading core logic and graphics chip maker and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the industry-leading memory technology supplier, ABIT's SI7 motherboard is designed for power users seeking PCs with the highest performance and best features.

"ABIT products are known for high performance and reliability, and our SI7 motherboard is no exception," said Edwin Lin, General Manager of ABIT. "Using the SiS R658 chipset, ABIT's SI7 motherboard offers all ultra high-end features for the enthusiasts including Gigabit LAN, Serial ATA, IEEE 1394a, and 1200MHz RDRAM."

"SiS is a leader at supplying customers with the highest performance computing solutions with features such as AGP8X, and the fastest memory," said Stephen Chen, vice president of SiS. "The SiSR658 chipset, combined with the powerful Intel® Pentium 4® processor and the bandwidth of RDRAM memory, enables us to deliver the fastest and smoothest computing experience."

The performance PC segment continues to demand faster and faster memory solutions, especially now that Hyperthreading® CPU speeds are in excess of 3.0GHz. 1200MHz RDRAM from Samsung will meet these demands and take memory performance to the next level.

I'm not sure of this but it states the board supports 8x agp
When I looked it up It's worth checking it out. Hope this will put you in the right direction. I think this is the only board out there that supports the 8x interface with RDRAM.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by splash on 10/06/03 11:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Who would buy the RDRAM if the support for it is dead?

Wow, that was a very stupid question. That's like asking "who would buy tires for a Camaro". That GM no longer makes the Camaro does not prevent people who already own one from driving it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>