Linus

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

I can't find the process to copy my files & settings to the new users
accounts. I Just set up the administrators account and added two users to my
new XP Pro. I used all the key words I can think of to find info in help and
support, with no result.

On ME this is the next step in "Add a new user," and is a quick one click
operation . On XP Pro. I give them a name, photo and password and the process
apparently ends.

Can some one please tell me how copy my files & settings to new users and
between new users on XP Pro?
--
Linusverl

Linus

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Sorry: Forgot to say, computer is not not part of a workgroup or a domain

--
Linusverl

Linus wrote:
> I can't find the process to copy my files & settings to the new users
> accounts. I Just set up the administrators account and added two
> users to my new XP Pro. I used all the key words I can think of to
> find info in help and support, with no result.
>
> On ME this is the next step in "Add a new user," and is a quick one
> click operation . On XP Pro. I give them a name, photo and password
> and the process apparently ends.
>
> Can some one please tell me how copy my files & settings to new users
> and between new users on XP Pro?

You mean make all new users look like your current user?

How to create a custom default user profile
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319974

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

Doug's Windows XP Security Console

Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
fundamentals don't change.

Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
Windows.

One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
"LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
normally unused by the standard user.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi,

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
destination profile you must log into it once first to create the necessary
file structure before you do the copy procedure.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Linus" <Linusverl@mspamn.com> wrote in message
>I can't find the process to copy my files & settings to the new users
> accounts. I Just set up the administrators account and added two users to
> my
> new XP Pro. I used all the key words I can think of to find info in help
> and
> support, with no result.
>
> On ME this is the next step in "Add a new user," and is a quick one click
> operation . On XP Pro. I give them a name, photo and password and the
> process
> apparently ends.
>
> Can some one please tell me how copy my files & settings to new users and
> between new users on XP Pro?
> --
> Linusverl

Linus

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Thank you Shenan & Rick.

I believe you have given me enough information to set up my new user
accounts. XP is supposed to be user friendly?
But they had such a easy way to do this on Milennium Edition, I don't
understand why they didn't stay with it.

Linusverl

Linus wrote:
> Thank you Shenan & Rick.
>
> I believe you have given me enough information to set up my new user
> accounts. XP is supposed to be user friendly?
> But they had such a easy way to do this on Milennium Edition, I don't
> understand why they didn't stay with it.

It's still very easy..
But there is a learning curve. Just like there was going from Windows for
Workgroups 3.11 to Windows 95. heh

And I believe you are making the common mistake that Windows XP is in the
same family as Windows ME... It is not.

Windows XP is in the Windows NT/Windows 2000 family of products.. The
Windows 9x/ME family died with Windows ME - which most people agree Windows
ME was a mistake or something. heh

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP