Which is the best chipset?

derf

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2003
Hello, I'm planning to upgrade my daughter's computer. She uses it for college. She is not a computer gamer. She has a duran 700 now. I plan to get a AMD 2400 XP, 266 bus speed. Which of the 3 boards will give the best results.
1. ESC K7S5A PRO SIS 735 chipset

2. MSI KT2 COMBO-L VIA KT266A VT8235 chipset

3. MSI KM2M COMBO-L VIA PRO SAVAGE DDR KM266

I picked these three becouse I plan to use her 512meg of 133 ram. I then have the option to upgrade to DDR in the future.
We are on a tight budget. Thanks. Derf

RCPilot

Champion
I'd ditch the SDRAM if I were you & get a Nforce board. SDRAM just doesn't cut it, unless you run a gig of it.

Talking experience here. My Son's KT266a board had 512 SDRAM on it. We got him a Nforce & 512 3200 then sold his old board & RAM. I put it together for the guy & he got another stick of 512 SDRAM. With the gig it would boot almost as fast as the DDR board. Thing is it couldn't hold a candle to the DDR RAM.

The other thing is you'll get a lower quality board just to support SDRAM as well.

6 of one, half a dozen for the other, I guess.

Well, I didn't think that was gonna happen!!!

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
The ECS is the best board in that roundup IMO.
I've owned most of those boards and from experience its the most stable.

But I'd get your daughter a Nforce2 if shes using an Athlon for maximum stability and to eek everything you can out of what shes using.. they are cheap enough, a Nforce 2 400 single channel motherboard is about $60-70... then you just need memory which you can get a single 512MB stick.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Radeon 9800NP, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
MSI KT2 Combo-L.

nForce2 is always recommended.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you REALLY need to reuse that RAM, the 735 chipset is superior to the VIA counterparts, so the K7S5A is regrettably the only choice (it's not a very good board, the others are simply worse).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>