hi,
I temporarily installed "Uninstaller". it found hundreds of Temp Internet
Files. it said the files were contained in Documents &
Settings/myname/localsettings. I cannot find the local settings folder
under doc & settings. is there another way to get rid of these files. I
tried search but it did not find the files. thanks
Sheila

sheila jones wrote:
> hi,
> I temporarily installed "Uninstaller". it found hundreds of Temp
> Internet Files. it said the files were contained in Documents &
> Settings/myname/localsettings. I cannot find the local settings
> folder under doc & settings. is there another way to get rid of
> these files. I tried search but it did not find the files. thanks
> Sheila

Open Internet Explorer and select Tools/Internet Options/General Tab. Click the Delete Files button.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

hi,
thanks for the info. I got to the general tab, and clicked on settings
where I found the Local Settings folder. in that folder there was the
history folder, temp folder - with 103mb of files, and temp internet folder.
in the 103 mb folder there were MST, TMP, TEXT, XMA, etc. files. can any of
these be safely deleted on a regular basis. I understand emptying the
cookies and standard temp files but am concerned about the other files.
thanks for your help.
Sheila

sheila jones wrote:
> hi,
> thanks for the info. I got to the general tab, and clicked on
> settings where I found the Local Settings folder. in that folder
> there was the history folder, temp folder - with 103mb of files, and
> temp internet folder. in the 103 mb folder there were MST, TMP, TEXT,
> XMA, etc. files. can any of these be safely deleted on a regular
> basis. I understand emptying the cookies and standard temp files but
> am concerned about the other files. thanks for your help.
> Sheila
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
> Open Internet Explorer and select Tools/Internet Options/General Tab.
> Click the Delete Files button.

Sheila

The only folders where you will want to delete all of the files on a regular basis are the Temporary Internet Files (TIF), contents of the TEMP folder and the History folder. If you click on the the Delete Files button, in the General tab, this will delete the contents of the TIF folder (click the OK button when prompted to delete all offline content). Click the Clear History button to delete the contents of the History folder. These are the only files that you should delete from this dialog box.

An easier and safer way to do this and to include the TEMP folder, which should be cleared on a regular basis is to use the Disk Cleanup Wizard. Follow these steps.

1. Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Disk Cleanup.
4. As soon as the window appears, click to select the check boxes next to the files that you want to remove, and
then click OK.
5. Click Yes to the proceed with this action, and then click OK.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User