Digital vs Analog

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 12, 2004 12:10:34 AM

My question (my be a dumb one for some), but sort of has me puzzled.
We recently went on a camping trip (in Colorado by Allenspark). It
didn't "seem" like a very remote location, as it is only about 30
miles NW of Boulder. Well I have my new VX4400 phone up there and my
wife had or VX6000. I just "assumed" that I MAY get a signal out
there where heres wouldn't since she is all digital. Well I had no
signal at all. Then driving home we both had our phones on, and
again, I assumed that I would get signal in some places where hers
would not at all. Well, this was somewhat true, in that I would get
an analog signal, literally seconds before hers, got a signal. I'm
just wondering if this is the nature of the phones? My wife was
asking about that...wondering if anyone in that area could even own
cell phones??? I could not answer. I know VZW may not be the best,
but I have felt they were right there at the top, as I've had several
other carriers and VZW by far has worked best for me. Last year we
camped up by Leadville and I did get a signal up there where our
friends phones would not. I know this is a whole different story as
it involves different locations and even a different phone for me.

More about : digital analog

July 12, 2004 12:43:18 AM

I travel a great deal and have learned
some ways to find a carrier, some of
which require some effort. I carry an
old analog phone for just in case. Having
been in the electronics and communications
environment for many years I would say
that no two devices will have the same
performance although the same model
etc. I would probably "force" analog and
look at both A and B sides. If your wife's
phone was connecting to a "PCS" 1900
Mhz tower then there would be no analog
from that tower. If 800 Mhz then as we
know, cell-phones go into "scan" mode
and like to find one of their own, when
possible. Most cases look for analog
last. For that matter just moving a few
inches in a weak-signal area can make
the difference in connecting or not. If
one wants to go to the trouble, a phone
can in most cases be placed in the "Test"
mode and you can watch it trying to
connect (camp) on a particular SID.
Regards
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 2:52:37 AM

Mike,
There could be several details at work here. First, there are no cell
towers near Allenspark. Next, while all of Verizon's towers in Colorado are
on 800 MHz, not all of them have analog. Only those that were analog in
2001 are required to continue making some analog available. The only sites
I know that transmit both analog and digital in that`area are in Nederland
and Estes Park. Any new sites have digital only, and it could be you are
seeing only those towers.

I was in Leadville over Memorial Day and Verizon had just turned on a new
site right in Leadville...too cool, and it's digital only. But this
weekend, I camped near Buena Vista, and it's right between two older VZ cell
sites, and it was analog 90% of the time, and it switched often enough to be
annoying.

So, I will guess your phones were seeing the same sites at about the same
time because digital was all that was available in that spot.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My question (my be a dumb one for some), but sort of has me puzzled.
> We recently went on a camping trip (in Colorado by Allenspark). It
> didn't "seem" like a very remote location, as it is only about 30
> miles NW of Boulder. Well I have my new VX4400 phone up there and my
> wife had or VX6000. I just "assumed" that I MAY get a signal out
> there where heres wouldn't since she is all digital. Well I had no
> signal at all. Then driving home we both had our phones on, and
> again, I assumed that I would get signal in some places where hers
> would not at all. Well, this was somewhat true, in that I would get
> an analog signal, literally seconds before hers, got a signal. I'm
> just wondering if this is the nature of the phones? My wife was
> asking about that...wondering if anyone in that area could even own
> cell phones??? I could not answer. I know VZW may not be the best,
> but I have felt they were right there at the top, as I've had several
> other carriers and VZW by far has worked best for me. Last year we
> camped up by Leadville and I did get a signal up there where our
> friends phones would not. I know this is a whole different story as
> it involves different locations and even a different phone for me.
Related resources
July 12, 2004 10:18:36 AM

"Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message news:<10f468h564pdk7a@corp.supernews.com>...
> Mike,
> There could be several details at work here. First, there are no cell
> towers near Allenspark. Next, while all of Verizon's towers in Colorado are
> on 800 MHz, not all of them have analog. Only those that were analog in
> 2001 are required to continue making some analog available. The only sites
> I know that transmit both analog and digital in that`area are in Nederland
> and Estes Park. Any new sites have digital only, and it could be you are
> seeing only those towers.
>
> I was in Leadville over Memorial Day and Verizon had just turned on a new
> site right in Leadville...too cool, and it's digital only. But this
> weekend, I camped near Buena Vista, and it's right between two older VZ cell
> sites, and it was analog 90% of the time, and it switched often enough to be
> annoying.
>
> So, I will guess your phones were seeing the same sites at about the same
> time because digital was all that was available in that spot.
>
> Bill Radio
> Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
> http://www.mountainwireless.com
>

> "Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > My question (my be a dumb one for some), but sort of has me puzzled.
> > We recently went on a camping trip (in Colorado by Allenspark). It
> > didn't "seem" like a very remote location, as it is only about 30
> > miles NW of Boulder. Well I have my new VX4400 phone up there and my
> > wife had or VX6000. I just "assumed" that I MAY get a signal out
> > there where heres wouldn't since she is all digital. Well I had no
> > signal at all. Then driving home we both had our phones on, and
> > again, I assumed that I would get signal in some places where hers
> > would not at all. Well, this was somewhat true, in that I would get
> > an analog signal, literally seconds before hers, got a signal. I'm
> > just wondering if this is the nature of the phones? My wife was
> > asking about that...wondering if anyone in that area could even own
> > cell phones??? I could not answer. I know VZW may not be the best,
> > but I have felt they were right there at the top, as I've had several
> > other carriers and VZW by far has worked best for me. Last year we
> > camped up by Leadville and I did get a signal up there where our
> > friends phones would not. I know this is a whole different story as
> > it involves different locations and even a different phone for me.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it makes sense....especially the
fact that there are no cell towers in that immediate area, regardless
of frequency. I guess that is also the nature of being in the
mountains, and actually one of the reasons I took up camping. Well,
actually to get out of "pager range", so I could have an excuse to not
get work pages all weekend! 8-)
July 12, 2004 9:33:38 PM

> Thanks for the feedback. I guess it makes sense....especially the
> fact that there are no cell towers in that immediate area, regardless
> of frequency. I guess that is also the nature of being in the
> mountains, and actually one of the reasons I took up camping. Well,
> actually to get out of "pager range", so I could have an excuse to not
> get work pages all weekend! 8-)

As they say be careful what you wish for...

We often go mountain biking on a rail to trail in a very scenic gorge. There
is no signal except at the very end. It is very enjoyable that pagers, cell
phones and especially nextel speakerphones do not work there.
!