Google Gives Search a Fresh Coat of New Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate the new search results layout it looks like Bing or Yahoo now. Luckily one of my PC's is still unaffected by it, Going to copy my cookies and try to fix my other PC's... If i cant revert it I might as well find a new search engine..

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]My Google looks as it always has, I can't see any of the changes described in this article.[/citation]

You'll see it eventually. They just started rolling it out in the last day or so. It'll take a while to reach everyone.

zaixionito

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I've had this for a massive amount of time. I think google should stay unique instead of copying some other companies, and making everything harder to use.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I find it disturbing that a website hasn't rolled out to everyone yet? Does this just mean the Google center my traffic is routed to hasn't been updated yet, or does this mean Google is tracking my computer and actively deciding not to send me to the updated layout? I mean seriously, shouldn't a publicly accessible website be the same for everyone who visits?

It's one thing for a company to slowly roll-out software updates to not inundate their servers, I think it's another for google to say "cookie #123445542221 being redirect to the old site", what benefit does that have?

"a fresh coat of paint" but it was the wrong color and I don't like it at all. The search results are awful and like youtube I want it to go back to what it was. They had it right the first time but these changes make proper searches more difficult as well rating content. Than you google for going backwards....

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I've had this a while as well. I like it, they eg. finally added "Month" to the time-line. It was a pain to always do it manually. Though I wish they added a field next to each one so you easily search the last [6] Month(s) or [2] Week(s).

The Google logo with all its colours reminds me of early websites when everyone tried to add as many effects as possible and as many colours as possible.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I looked at the changed Google, and it doesn't look like these pictures. In fact, the colors are more vibrant, not more washed out. They did get rid of the "tm", and the shadows, which does give it a more simplistic, child-like appearahce they probably wanted. I don't think a move pastels work in creating that mood, and the more vibrant colors seem to be more consistent with that, so I think they did go with more vibrant, brighter, colors.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
So long as they keep it plain and simple i'll stick with google.

The minimalistic layout is what made them so popular in the first place compared to the former giants like yahoo who had (has) their search pages crammed with adverts, links and a whole slew of other unnecessary information.

Keep it simple, thats all I ask!

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I'm really not a big fan of this minimalist style...it just looks too...plain. Also, by removing the "TM" from the new logo does that mean that the logo is available for public use without authorization or is that just wishful thinking?

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Imagine how much bandwidth they save now not using the larger shadow and possibly reduced bit depth
As a graphic artist I don't see this image necessarily as a step forward as it lost some complexity. The good is it gained some cleanness. But the buttons now look a bit rough, big and/or less subtle.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Nothing really looks changed, it still gives you the most relevant searches with the option to better sort through it via categories. Which is a good thing.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I hate the left hand bar, because I know what they are planning. Certain languages read left to right, so it makes sense to have advertisements in a left hand bar.

This is their way of easing us into it.... I mean really, what are we going to do, use Bing?

mr_blue

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
OMG This New Search Bar SUCKS I HATE IT! Give Me Back My Old Plain Google Please!

@Sabiancym: Yes It Takes Space My Small PC Does Not Welcome More Space.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I agree with the others here who hate it. I just got the new page... YUCK!

Keep your crappy and redundant bar on the left side, give me back the space to display the THINGS I SEARCHED FOR.

Epic fail on Google's part.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I just went to google to leave some "feedback" about the change, and their forums are lit up with comments against it. Maybe we will get lucky and they will roll it back.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I am with you guys about the gay crap on the left. It takes up space I don't want taken up by useless information. I looked into the search settings, and it's not modifiable. So, it's a heavy handed move by Google to try to force us to do more with their page.

While complaining might be fun, they fully expect complaints with release, and they really don't care unless it results in people using it less. No matter what change you do, people will complain, after all.

They will change it back if they see their market share go down, that's for sure. So, let's all just use Bing, or Cuil, or whatever else you fancy. No one needs Google, there are competitors that are very painless to use. It's a lot easier than moving from an operating system, or a site like eBay, and people do that. We can switch from Google, easily, and they'll learn they can't be so heavy handed and disrespectful, which is what forcing this crap on us is. If they even gave a settings option I wouldn't be mad, but they didn't. It's an affront.

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
What is up with the trend to make everything bigger? First youtube with their stupid layout (yes I know Goog owns youtube), and now Google search itself. The font size on Gooooooooooogle at the bottom is ridiculous. Why exactly they decided they needed to add a toolbar on the left that's redundant to the toolbar at the top is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS